Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

I have realized I need to give the bolt more room to the rear, but that's an easy fix.

Living in Canada, I only have rifles for hunting [emoji20]

I just bought a 300 win mag though and I love it!!! Lots of punch but the shoulder gets sore after I fire a bunch of rounds through it.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I think I have found my next purchase:

Sig P226 Legion single action only:

product-detail-p226-sao-2x.png

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I have realized I need to give the bolt more room to the rear, but that's an easy fix.

I don't know fully the extent of the drawing, but the deed ramp looks steep.

Am I an idiot for starting an ar15 pistol build with a 7.5" barrel? Is it too short?

The velocity of .223/5.56 starts to drop off dramatically after the 10.5" mark. If it is just a fun gun, then go for it. If you want to do anything productive, 10.5 or 11.5 are much better options.

My SBR has a 10.5" barrel, and even at that there is a lot of burning still happening after it leaves the barrel.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Living in Canada, I only have rifles for hunting [emoji20]

I just bought a 300 win mag though and I love it!!! Lots of punch but the shoulder gets sore after I fire a bunch of rounds through it.

300 Win Mag is one of my favorite hunting cartridges! More than enough power to take about any game in NA. 

I don't know fully the extent of the drawing, but the deed ramp looks steep.

Just a quick sketch.

Just got a couple new holsters. Two Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0s for my Sig P226 and Smith & Wesson M&P 40 Shield. Never thought I could carry a full size handgun, but this holster proved me wrong. And it makes the Shield feel like I'm not carrying anything at all. They also have a discount for buying 2 holsters at the same time.

2015-11-09.jpg

Just got a couple new holsters. Two Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0s for my Sig P226 and Smith & Wesson M&P 40 Shield. Never thought I could carry a full size handgun, but this holster proved me wrong. And it makes the Shield feel like I'm not carrying anything at all. They also have a discount for buying 2 holsters at the same time.

*SNIP*

How do you like the Alien Gears? I have been using Crossbreed Supertucks for years and these seem like a pretty nice budget competitor. At only about 1/3 the price they have intrigued me for some time now. 

How do you like the Alien Gears? I have been using Crossbreed Supertucks for years and these seem like a pretty nice budget competitor. At only about 1/3 the price they have intrigued me for some time now. 

These are the first hybrid holsters I have tried, so I'm not really sure how they compare to the Crossbreeds. They are very comfortable to wear at 3 and 4 o'clock positions, even with full size handguns like the 226. The Cloak tuck 3.0s also have a stainless spring steel core so the top doesn't flop over and make it hard to draw you weapon.

Only small downside is the clips seem a bit flimsy, but there are other options available for that. They're not leather which may be a downside depending if you like leather holsters (although they do sell a version that is leather I think) and they use Boltaron plastic in lieu of kydex.

Either way, its worth a look at since they are not nearly as expensive as other similar holsters. Especially if it's for a gun you might not carry often enough to justify an expensive holster for.

These are the first hybrid holsters I have tried, so I'm not really sure how they compare to the Crossbreeds. They are very comfortable to wear at 3 and 4 o'clock positions, even with full size handguns like the 226. The Cloak tuck 3.0s also have a stainless spring steel core so the top doesn't flop over and make it hard to draw you weapon.

Only small downside is the clips seem a bit flimsy, but there are other options available for that. They're not leather which may be a downside depending if you like leather holsters (although they do sell a version that is leather I think) and they use Boltaron plastic in lieu of kydex.

Either way, its worth a look at since they are not nearly as expensive as other similar holsters. Especially if it's for a gun you might not carry often enough to justify an expensive holster for.

I occasionally carry my 92FS in a Supertuck, but usually stick with the G19, again, in a Supertuck.

I have been tempted to pick up an Alien gear for the G19 just to try out. But the Crossbreeds are so damn good I have trouble seeing how to improve them, other than the obvious price disparity. 

I'm Glad to hear you are happy with yours. :)

I occasionally carry my 92FS in a Supertuck, but usually stick with the G19, again, in a Supertuck.

I have been tempted to pick up an Alien gear for the G19 just to try out. But the Crossbreeds are so damn good I have trouble seeing how to improve them, other than the obvious price disparity. 

I'm Glad to hear you are happy with yours. :)

I'll have to take a look at Crossbreeds. Thinking of getting a double stack compact gun next (xD Mod 2 in 45 ACP maybe), so that might be a good holster for that.

I'll have to take a look at Crossbreeds. Thinking of getting a double stack compact gun next (xD Mod 2 in 45 ACP maybe), so that might be a good holster for that.

My USPSA/IDPA gun is a Springfield XDm 5.25 in 9mm, I have lots of love for the Springfield line. I have never shot one of the xD Mod 2's but I know a couple of people who own them and they seem to have no complaints. Other than the "Grip Zone" plastered on the side lol. 

My USPSA/IDPA gun is a Springfield XDm 5.25 in 9mm, I have lots of love for the Springfield line. I have never shot one of the xD Mod 2's but I know a couple of people who own them and they seem to have no complaints. Other than the "Grip Zone" plastered on the side lol.

Ah cool, so do you do competition shooting? I've really only gotten into guns after moving from New York to Virginia. Not sure if I'd be a fan of the grip safety on the xD lineup as I've never shot one, but its hard to say no to 10 rounds of 45 acp in a sub compact gun. The Grip Zone thing is a bit tacky too I think ha-ha.

Ah cool, so do you do competition shooting? I've really only gotten into guns after moving from New York to Virginia. Not sure if I'd be a fan of the grip safety on the xD lineup as I've never shot one, but its hard to say no to 10 rounds of 45 acp in a sub compact gun. The Grip Zone thing is a bit tacky too I think ha-ha.

Yeah I've shot IDPA and IPSC for about 4 years now, and just started switching over to USPSA the last few months. USPSA seems to take all of the good things from IDPA and leaves most of the dumb things behind. I won my first USPSA stage on Monday actually :D I still got thoroughly pounded in the overall match but I had one really good stage, 24 hits, all alpha's except one charlie. 

If you're interested I would encourage you to find a USPSA club in your area and do a practice night. But only if you are willing to get hooked and have your bank account drained haha. 

The grip safety doesnt bother me on a range/competition gun, but I am a bit torn on it for a carry gun. 

Yeah I've shot IDPA and IPSC for about 4 years now, and just started switching over to USPSA the last few months. USPSA seems to take all of the good things from IDPA and leaves most of the dumb things behind. I won my first USPSA stage on Monday actually :D I still got thoroughly pounded in the overall match but I had one really good stage, 24 hits, all alpha's except one charlie. 

If you're interested I would encourage you to find a USPSA club in your area and do a practice night. But only if you are willing to get hooked and have your bank account drained haha. 

The grip safety doesnt bother me on a range/competition gun, but I am a bit torn on it for a carry gun. 

Cool, I'll be checking that out. Congrats on the win as well! I'm a lefty, so something like an HK VP9 might be better for competition for me since it has fully ambidextrous controls. I usually operate the mag release with my trigger finger, but that requires a shift in grip. It also means I can't operate the slide release for faster reloads.

Cool, I'll be checking that out. Congrats on the win as well! I'm a lefty, so something like an HK VP9 might be better for competition for me since it has fully ambidextrous controls. I usually operate the mag release with my trigger finger, but that requires a shift in grip. It also means I can't operate the slide release for faster reloads.

With almost all USPSA stages you make your own plan for the stage, so you can set yourself up to never reload an empty gun. That way the location of the slide release doesnt matter.

Just one of the things I like better about USPSA than IDPA, in IDPA they will tell you where and when you have to reload. 

That said, you will not see me discouraging you from buying a VP9 ;)

• 1 month later...

ULTRA NECRO-POST

My new furniture came in today for my rifle

WARNING LARGE IMAGES

dded1ecf33.jpg

f6c1a5ad82.jpg

Very nice buuuuut they are upside down, makes for bad neck strain....  :P  ;)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

ULTRA NECRO-POST

My new furniture came in today for my rifle

WARNING LARGE IMAGES

Nice! C308?

I suppose I could share my latest purchase as well, 

Spikes Stripped lower:

2015-12-06%2013.44.57_zps3munodyp.jpg

2015-12-06%2013.44.49_zps7jcnrc9a.jpg

Going to be a 16" lightweight I think.

DD Mid length 16" light weight barrel

Geissele SSA-E trigger

JP Enterprises captured buffer

SLR Solo Ultralite M-LOK rail

SLR titanium short comp

SLR titanium micro gas block

Trijicon MRO 

Lower parts are already in the mail :)

Very nice buuuuut they are upside down, makes for bad neck strain....  :P  ;)

Sorry, lemme try fixing that :P

Nice! C308?

Yes sir!

Give me the rice

I need to get a rifle at some point. I like the look of the S&W M&P 15s if anyone has any experience with those.

I didn't know this thread existed. Can we necro this please?

I think we can consider it successfully necro'd :)

Built that stripped lower into a completed* lower this afternoon! My first real AR build. :)

* I am still waiting on the Geissle SSA-E trigger and JP Enterprises captured buffer assembly to show up, so it is missing a buffer and the trigger will be replaced, but I thought I'd install the standard trigger for kicks.

2015-12-18%2017.14.00_zpskruvcz8k.jpg

2015-12-18%2017.14.17_zpsmokdcmkk.jpg