Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

Lets hope this thread doesn't get.... Shot down.

Seriously though, I've have three questions of you all don't mind me asking.

Not going to lie, my knowledge of guns is fairly limited to the basics, (workings, terminology, etc.), anyone know a good YT channel/website for learning more (I'd prefer to avoid the overly dramatic channels...)? I feel like I'm failing to Freedom.

Have any of you considered playing with airsoft/paintball since its cheaper? I've heard of a lot of people playing around with both recently since its cheaper and easier to mess around with.

What's your favorite gun fitted to an aircraft? I find the large-caliber cannons (37mm+) from WW2 rather interesting if not that effective.

Military arms channel is good. it does get political in a few episodes, but those are very few. When show casing a firearm he explains in detail about it and will often provide some history. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-qxagOkAmCEP-Tu6YliUQ

Iraqveteran8888 is dry but decent.  He has some very good gunsmithing videos on his website which helps get an idea about the inner workings of firearms.  He does tend to get political but those videos are evident by their titles and are easily avoided.  https://www.youtube.com/user/Iraqveteran8888

Midwayusa has really good gunsmithing videos and that's generally the limit of what they go into.  Larry Potterfield is kind of like the Mr. Rogers of the gun community and is pretty enjoyable to watch and learn from. I've never observed any of their videos getting political. https://www.youtube.com/user/MidwayUSA

Brownells also has good gunsmithing videos but not quite as enjoyable as the midway videos.  No politics that I've observed on their channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brownellsinc

Hickok45 is very dry and his generally revolve around shooting on his private range but also provide a fair bit of history regarding the firearms being used, especially the antiques.  He  does have a few political videos, but those are damned few. There's usually a disassembly of the firearms he is using in his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg

Kirsten Joy Weiss- She is a competitive shooter, like Olympic style competititive, and her videos generally revolve around trick shots.  Recently she has started making more videos on improving accuracy and other common areas needing worked on.  None of her videos are political at all, and she is quite easy on the eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoZWNrLlwl7Gv_2ji9Csng

That's all the ones I am knowledgeable about that I personally subscribe to.

Here is another one that I won't lump into the above group for reasons ill go into.

verytraumatic- He is more of a layman than the folks listed above, and any guns and gun tech he talks about seems to be from the perspective of a new-ish shooter. Also he is a part time youtuber whose channel isn't solely dedicated to guns. It also goes into tech, and some physical fitness. So one video might be about a new optic he is using, and then the next about a new mechanical keyboard.  He is also a LTT's subscriber. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtfdGE-pNN4IY3zqPQ_AsQQ

Hope this helps

As for guns on planes, I prefer the gun they built a plane around:

LoL that'd probably be my favorite aircraft mounted gun, err gun mounted aircraft.

Shame they discontinued the program.

Did my first USPSA practice tonight. That was considerably more fun than IDPA.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I would love to competition but I just don't have the means to do it. :(

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I would love to competition but I just don't have the means to do it. :(

It's worth it. I've been doing IDPA for a few years and even that is a truck load of fun, but has more rules than USPSA.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

It's worth it. I've been doing IDPA for a few years and even that is a truck load of fun, but has more rules than USPSA.

I wish I could shoot often enough to get into competitive shooting.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I wish I could shoot often enough to get into competitive shooting.

Yeah, I admit it is not the cheapest of hobbies. 200 rounds for the practice and up to 400 rounds for a match.

Yeah, I admit it is not the cheapest of hobbies. 200 rounds for the practice and up to 400 rounds for a match.

I doubt I've put 200 rounds through my 1911 (probably less than 50), and I've only put 1 round through my .308 savage model 10. And that was just to see what the kick was like. Wasn't much worse than my AR.

Although I've put a decent amount through the AR, just for relieving stress lol

Oh man look at this bad boy. Screw all your AKs, 9mm, and Desert Eagles, ect. THIS PUPPY CAN SNIPE A FLY FROM ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

post-221908-0-95904900-1444101810.jpeg

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

several years ago was watching new possible replacement rifles for the military. one company had a gun with the recoil going down instead of straight back.  do you know which company, gun?  has it made its way into production?

several years ago was watching new possible replacement rifles for the military. one company had a gun with the recoil going down instead of straight back. do you know which company, gun? has it made its way into production?

That sounds like the Kriss Vector, but that is an smg.

maxresdefault.jpg

I will have to look into it some more. Before I got out I used to be a hell of a shot with the m-16 and the m-4. I'm not as good with the pistol but I do have decent groups.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

That sounds like the Kriss Vector, but that is an smg.

<snippy>

Fugly gun.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Why I love the .50 cal round.

1 mile, three insurgents, 1 shot.

REKT

Why I love the .50 cal round.

1 mile, three insurgents, 1 shot.

<snip>

REKT

:o  LoL Bravo nice shot. 3 Enemy combatants down.  B)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

several years ago was watching new possible replacement rifles for the military. one company had a gun with the recoil going down instead of straight back.  do you know which company, gun?  has it made its way into production?

Going to have to second the kriss comment. The Bolt does go down during cycling to mitigate recoil.

Going to have to second the kriss comment. The Bolt does go down during cycling to mitigate recoil.

Admittedly I would use it if issued but it would take getting used to. :)  

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Admittedly I would use it if issued but it would take getting used to. :)

For the price I can't justify the purchase before buying other items I want more.

Plus I already own a ps90

76.JPG

I've discovered this rifle today.

I want one so bad...

T97.ca FTU

Gotta love the M4A1. By that I mean you don't love it. You hate it, but you live with it because its your weapon and its an extension of yourself. An ugly extension, like an ugly twin or something. Just join weapons squad, use a 240B or get a 249, those are great.

<snippy>

I've discovered this rifle today.

I want one so bad...

T97.ca FTU

nice bullpup

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Gotta love the M4A1. By that I mean you don't love it. You hate it, but you live with it because its your weapon and its an extension of yourself. An ugly extension, like an ugly twin or something. Just join weapons squad, use a 240B or get a 249, those are great.

FNH is actually planning on selling 249s that are semi automatic.  It looks great but the price is going to be painful

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the laser cut plates (minus the actual target plate) to make two steel target stands today. I already have the target plates themselves. 

Target_zpstumesnsi.png

The target plate is 12" diameter 1-1/4" Hardox 500. (Rockwell 52-55) and the stand plates are just 3/8" GR-50. Should last forever with an infinite life cycle with sub 2000 FPS hits. 

The Target plate is 42 Lbs and the stand is 64 Lbs. 

And the plates are back from the laser!

2015-10-22%2016.10.56_zpspio5dqwz.jpg

Assembled:

2015-10-22%2016.27.51_zpsadsxrjef.jpg

They will be going through the powder coat line Monday morning.  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Time to revive this topic.

I've been doing some engineering of my own, basic sketches ATM.

PVTupPD.png

Any thoughts on how I can improve the design?

Time to revive this topic.

I've been doing some engineering of my own, basic sketches ATM.

<snippy>

Any thoughts on how I can improve the design?

Looks pretty simple and straight forward. I like it. 

No improving thoughts though....

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER