Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

Oh hey, this is a thing now. Have you all been practicing your gross motor skill reloads?

Oh hey, this is a thing now. Have you all been practicing your gross motor skill reloads?

I live in ca where bullet buttons are a thing so I wouldn't even be able to remove a mag...

I did how ever just move a pistol that is on my desk looking for an eye glass screw driver but it turned out to be under a lotto scratcher so that seemed to have been the most "merica" I have ever been lol

I really hope stag arms as a company recovers from its current legal problems since I was thinking about buying a left hand upper from them.

I really hope stag arms as a company recovers from its current legal problems since I was thinking about buying a left hand upper from them.

I've read a little bit about this, and it sounds like no lowers left without serial numbers, just a weird manufacturing process that wasn't quite following the letter of the law; although the intent appears to have been followed. 

If they don't recover, perhaps consider looking for a Rock River Arms left upper, I know they make them and my SBR started out as a RRA carbine length rifle, and has been fantastic. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I've read a little bit about this, and it sounds like no lowers left without serial numbers, just a weird manufacturing process that wasn't quite following the letter of the law; although the intent appears to have been followed. 

If they don't recover, perhaps consider looking for a Rock River Arms left upper, I know they make them and my SBR started out as a RRA carbine length rifle, and has been fantastic.

ya I know rra makes some as well but I have never looked into them. I started wanted a stag arms a few years back and just never got around to it and now that I was just looking at them the other day again I hear about this. Maybe I should just get a .357 magnum lever action like I was thinking about before ending up on stag arms last night lol

These guys are seriously my heros. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Had some fun today at a local indoor gun range, Had some visitors over from Germany who'd never even seen an gun in person, so I took them out at the range to experience it first hand.

Picture of me with the Ruger .38 Special:

mSNv8Uu.jpg

Need to improve my aim. I only really go shooting a few times a year. I wish I had more time to improve:

neBkpNd.jpg

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to go to a local shooting club soon to try out shooting. Any advice you guys can give me to not look like a total n00b?

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Going to go to a local shooting club soon to try out shooting. Any advice you guys can give me to not look like a total n00b?

Know the four rules:

Treat all guns as if they are loaded.

Finger strait and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Never point the gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy.

Be sure of your target and what's beyond. 

Otherwise don't try to be Rambo, just concentrate on being safe and you will have fun. :)

Know the four rules:

Otherwise don't try to be Rambo, just concentrate on being safe and you will have fun. :)

All solid points. Just wanted to ad that a lot of the clubs and ranges around me don't like:

1) "rapid fire"

2) headshots, if you're using a silhouette target

Know the four rules:

All good advice!

I'd like to add my own:

Go with someone who has gone shooting before or has been at that particular range.

If this is your first time, you might need help understanding some of the mechanics, such as (re)loading, gun handling, stance, aiming. It also helps to start off with a smaller caliber gun. I personally think 9mm or around equivalent is an good starting point. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

All good advice!

I'd like to add my own:

Go with someone who has gone shooting before or has been at that particular range.

If this is your first time, you might need help understanding some of the mechanics, such as (re)loading, gun handling, stance, aiming. It also helps to start off with a smaller caliber gun. I personally think 9mm or around equivalent is an good starting point.

It's not even legal for me to shoot any caliber larger than .22lr for semi-auto weapons or 12 gauge for single shot smoothbore shotguns because I'm still under 18.

And regarding the advice about going to the range with someone who has been at that particular range before:

1. As far as I know, no-one I know even has ever been to a shooting range, except during military service. Unlike in America, it's pretty unusual for people to go shooting here.

2. I'm going to a Schützenverein, which is(copying from Wikipedia) a voluntary association featuring sport shooting. I'm not sure whether something similar exists in the USA. But they are doing training each Tuesday and on their website they say that anyone is free to come to one of their trainings if one is interested, so I assume that there will be people there who can show me how all of that stuff works :).

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Added a couple new guns to my collection. Bought from a friend who is moving out of state in a few weeks. Sold me both guns (only around 1000 rounds through both), all his ammo (300 rounds 9mm, 80 rounds .45 acp), and all his equipment (range bag, cleaning supplies, holsters, etc) for $600. Needless to say it was a steal.

2016-01-10.jpg

2016-01-10.jpg

It's not even legal for me to shoot any caliber larger than .22lr for semi-auto weapons or 12 gauge for single shot smoothbore shotguns because I'm still under 18.
And regarding the advice about going to the range with someone who has been at that particular range before:
1. As far as I know, no-one I know even has ever been to a shooting range, except during military service. Unlike in America, it's pretty unusual for people to go shooting here.
2. I'm going to a Schützenverein, which is(copying from Wikipedia) a voluntary association featuring sport shooting. I'm not sure whether something similar exists in the USA. But they are doing training each Tuesday and on their website they say that anyone is free to come to one of their trainings if one is interested, so I assume that there will be people there who can show me how all of that stuff works :).

Going to a training class is a great idea if you've never done any sort of shooting before.

Added a couple new guns to my collection. Bought from a friend who is moving out of state in a few weeks. Sold me both guns (only around 1000 rounds through both), all his ammo (300 rounds 9mm, 80 rounds .45 acp), and all his equipment (range bag, cleaning supplies, holsters, etc) for $600. Needless to say it was a steal.

*SNIP*

Going to a training class is a great idea if you've never done any sort of shooting before.

Nice! 

My dad has a Ruger SR1911 Full Size just like that. It is a pretty sweet shooter too. 

2016-01-10.jpg

How do you like this smaller Ruger? I was thinking about getting something like this when I get my CCW.

How do you like this smaller Ruger? I was thinking about getting something like this when I get my CCW.

It's not bad. It's one of the few polymer pistols that has a full rail and it has a a really nice trigger. It's one of the smaller reliable 9mms. It also has a manual safety which is a positive or negative depending on what you want. (the LCS Pro doesn't have a safety).

It is kind of a pain in the ass to field strip as you have to push out a pin flush with the frame. It's also a little small for my hands personally.

I also have a Smith & Wesson M&P shield which is another great little gun. Think I prefer that for carry. All personal preference though.

It's not bad. It's one of the few polymer pistols that has a full rail and it has a a really nice trigger. It's one of the smaller reliable 9mms. It also has a manual safety which is a positive or negative depending on what you want. (the LCS Pro doesn't have a safety).

It is kind of a pain in the ass to field strip as you have to push out a pin flush with the frame. It's also a little small for my hands personally.

I also have a Smith & Wesson M&P shield which is another great little gun. Think I prefer that for carry. All personal preference though.

I just want something small since I'm just 5'7"-ish, ha. 

I just want something small since I'm just 5'7"-ish, ha. 

The concealed carry paradox. The smaller one goes, the less effective a firearm seems to get. I kept wanting smaller.. lighter.. thinner.. all at the cost of being able to comfortably practice and become proficient with it.

Haven't shot the LC9s Pro yet, but I didn't care for the earlier version.

Next on my list Springfield M1A Scout. Not really sure which stock to get though, I really like the wood stock but the composite is lighter.

Wood 9.3 lbs

Composite 8.8 lbs

AA9122_1200x3061.png

or

AA9126_1200x2501.png

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm not a huge fan of the scout rifle concept. That said, an M1A National match is defiantly on my short list. 

For M1As Wood > Synthetic every time. 

NA9102_1200x3061.png

The concealed carry paradox. The smaller one goes, the less effective a firearm seems to get. I kept wanting smaller.. lighter.. thinner.. all at the cost of being able to comfortably practice and become proficient with it.

Yeah the LCS is a little too small for my hands (I'm still only 5'-9"). I essentially got it for about $150, so can't really complain haha.

I think the M&P Shield is probably the smallest gun I'd carry and be comfortable with as it just fits my hand so well. Can even get my pinky finger onto the grip without the extended mag.

I'm not a huge fan of the scout rifle concept. That said, an M1A National match is defiantly on my short list. 

For M1As Wood > Synthetic every time. 

Only because of weight but 1/2 lbs is really quite negligible. Wood is good.

As for the scout, vs socom or full length, I like the more varied application it presents, decent close quarter feel and still has decent reach so it suits me well enough.

I lost interest in full length having swung around an M-16 for 10 years, I liked the shorter length the M-4 has but I am done with AR types personally after 12 years of dealing with them.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Right, but I don't plan on actually using it to kill someone unless I have to. I just want something that I can conceal very easily that'll at least help, y'know? Ha

Right, but I don't plan on actually using it to kill someone unless I have to. I just want something that I can conceal very easily that'll at least help, y'know? Ha

I don't think anyone plans to kill when they carry. If that's ever on the table though, it might not be the best idea to be carrying something comfortable yet unshootable under those stresses. Mitigate stress through training and practice; practice is made useful and enjoyable when you can see meaningful progress in your skills. Smaller guns tend to be harder and less enjoyable to shoot, whereas bigger guns are more often to be left at home for being unwieldy when concealed. Chasing that balance.. :wub:

@~5:00