[updated] The Tech Report won't receive a R9 Fury Nano for review

Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

I'll reach out to Scott and see if he wants to borrow ours.

I think we will see AMD choosing their reviewers more carefully in the future. Some reviewers have a tendency to always bring some BS negative conclusion on AMD.

If AMD release a power-efficient card, reviewers will focus on pure performance and/or performance/cost. The argument always somehow changes to an area where the competition have an advantage. We have seen this over the years, how some reviewers have changed their benchmark/focus entirely.

Things like AMD haven't released an WHQL driver in 160 days, like WTF? Fiji not having enough memory (however, wasn't the biggest issue for many GTX 970 conclussions), and we can continue. 

Tech journalism is a sad area, not to professional I most say..

Not saying that the tech report is a part of these reviewers, as I honestly don't read their articles.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

"I'm not a racist, I have plenty of black friends..."

Sounds eerily similar, methinks you doth protest too much.

That is not what he is saying at all lol. Stop leaping to conclusions with flawed logic and paying some BS racial comparison. 

There are logical leaps being taken in this thread..

Like if Nvidia sends a reviewer a sample of a card then they will likely give a glowing review because "now they are biased toward Nvidia"

But this ignores the fact that AMD also seeds graphics cards - in fact they also offered to seed us a GTX 970 mini when we said we didn't have one for direct comparison.

So by the above logic we are also based towards AMD.. and yet we criticize them both..

Here's a reality check: A graphics card means nothing to me. I have literally bins of them just like all the other hardware reviewers. They are just tools to do our jobs. It couldn't affect my opinion of the card in any meaningful way unless it was a super amazing card that lit my world on fire in which case there is nothing "biased" about giving it a glowing write up.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Many other issues as well.. Especially calling out Scott as a sellout. He is anything but..

On my phone right now, but those two jumped out at me..

I've said this on other parts of the internet as well when people whip out the "places like LTT are pro Nvidia since that is all they ever use...etc etc"

Its fairly simple. You guys are a tech company. You do actual work beyond the YouTube channel. Its in your best interest to use the best gear you can get for the prices you pay. 

So when Nvidia says "Hey Linus, do you want 6 Titan Xs for your workstations?" are you going to say no? Who here would say no? I mean honesty, do all these "DAE LINUS IS NVIDIA SHILL!?" types expect you to say "Sorry Nvidia, I can't accept your uber cards for my workstations where I need to do work, instead I'm accepting inferior/non-existent AMD cards because I want to appear as if I have no bias in the GPU game"

Does no one else realize how stupid that sounds? If AMD was going to send Linux 6 Fury Xs, I'm pretty sure Linux would be using those and thus featuring those in all his videos. AMD didn't. Nvidia however did send Titan Xs. So what the hell is Linus, and reviewers like Linus, supposed to do? 

If AMD doesn't want to appear as if they're getting shafted and biased against, perhaps they should start sending out cards to those channels that are most prominent. Its some of the cheapest marketing they could do. Why blame Nvidia (or any company that just sends out their product) for doing their PR job? 

I don't get this place sometimes. 

The Tech Report have less than 10,000 subs on youtube, what the hell do they expect?

Some tech reviewers need to be more mature, and stop going on personal crusades when they are excluded from a product launch - it's not personal. They could simply reach out to other reviewers (like they've done in the past for Nvidia and AMD products) and ask to share a review sample, but instead they have chosen to turn it into an emotionally charged public fight, even leaking that emotional hurt into reviews of products they do get by saying they are disappointed in some way. The techreport has also been heavily vocal about the 6700K launch, and the lack of availability. They certainly know what they are talking about (at least their guests on podcasts do), but they don't have the audience to be first in line for a limited launch like the Nano, or the i7 6700K. In this case, they are acting like spoiled children, kicking and screaming in a supermarket. some tech reviewers need to grow the <bleep> up, seriously.  -_-

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

That is not what he is saying at all lol. Stop leaping to conclusions with flawed logic and paying some BS racial comparison. 

I've said this on other parts of the internet as well when people whip out the "places like LTT are pro Nvidia since that is all they ever use...etc etc"

Its fairly simple. You guys are a tech company. You do actual work beyond the YouTube channel. Its in your best interest to use the best gear you can get for the prices you pay. 

So when Nvidia says "Hey Linus, do you want 6 Titan Xs for your workstations?" are you going to say no? Who here would say no? I mean honesty, do all these "DAE LINUS IS NVIDIA SHILL!?" types expect you to say "Sorry Nvidia, I can't accept your uber cards for my workstations where I need to do work, instead I'm accepting inferior/non-existent AMD cards because I want to appear as if I have no bias in the GPU game"

Does no one else realize how stupid that sounds? If AMD was going to send Linux 6 Fury Xs, I'm pretty sure Linux would be using those and thus featuring those in all his videos. AMD didn't. Nvidia however did send Titan Xs. So what the hell is Linus, and reviewers like Linus, supposed to do? 

If AMD doesn't want to appear as if they're getting shafted and biased against, perhaps they should start sending out cards to those channels that are most prominent. Its some of the cheapest marketing they could do. Why blame Nvidia (or any company that just sends out their product) for doing their PR job? 

Agreed, and makes sense. But isn't this the perfect definition of conflict of interest? These are just some example, this is one ethics policy, but numerous can be found on the web

http://compliance.berkeley.edu/conflict-of-interest/gifts

http://www.ethics.org/resource/conflicts-interest

http://www.gapinc.com/content/dam/gapincsite/documents/COBC/COBC_english.pdf

this one takes the gold trophy for bullcrap: https://twitter.com/amd_roy/status/639930842727497728

tHDUGUp.png

as this point, I'm fairly convinced AMD has something to hide

Reviews need to be fair? Did TR roast AMD or something along those lines previously?

Is AMD taking the One Plus approach by banning any publication (Tech Report may not have a huge YouTube channel but they're still quite relevant for technology) that speaks any ill will towards them?

Eh?

This only seems reasonable in the current "new media" zeitgeist. Back in the day, and if you consider LTT and its peers to be "journalists", they would have to turn down any offers for sample hardware that did not need to be returned as well as disclose financial involvement of any kind (including but not limited to sponsorship and investments) for any corporations they cover. The entire point of human biases is that they cannot be noticed by the person harbouring them - i.e. the statement "no I'm not biased" means nothing even if one isn't being intentionally dishonest. One can reasonably claim that the free Titans don't affect the objectivity of LTT's reviews (as Linus suggests, he has far too many graphics cards after all...), but it's just as reasonable to be skeptical.

None of this is to say that LTT is or isn't biased, but rather I just wanted to chime to express some disappointment towards how audience standards and expectations have evolved.

I think people may be conflating two separate things. Review samples and productivity products. A card to review is a very different animal from a half dozen for productivity. And there are valid concerns for the public in possible ramifications of such considerations. Any non-tech review concern would have to do the same thing as anyone else, buy their workstation GPUs. The fact a review oriented concern gets freebies is not done by the manufacturer without consideration for the good will, hopefully, fostered towards them. And passive advertising.

I prefer to believe the LMG/LTT folks are pragmatic enough to accept the freebies but humble enough before their audience not to let that cause any overt bias.

But, I doubt nVidia or Intel offer such hardware without the hope of it fostering goodwill towards their products and at the least word of mouth advertising. Although I don't think any such group would come out and say they expect such consideration. Giving them free productivity hardware garners them extra sales, as would be expected, but so long as it does not sway the opinions of LMG/LTT in their reviews its no real concern.

And in the end, whether any concerns by any manufacturer are well founded all a reviewer can do is try their best to remain unbiased and objective as possible. Now subjectivity will always arise, but it must be noted as such to cause no problems, if you take a subjective opinion and relate it as an objective normative valuation you do have a conflict. 

I need to go reread the reviews in question, but it feels like a subjective opinion was projected as an objective issue. It would be one thing to relate that to YOU something is not useful, quite another to take that subjective opinion and relate it as "This product OBJECTIVELY has no value"

All I can see is the arrogance of tech report...Who they think they are that AMD is obligated to give them sample? Did they signed any deal or contract with AMD?

Being used to getting samples doesn't mean they are guaranteed to have it forever.

A good review can bring hundreds of sales from consumer that's for sure. But it is not reflected on the financial report submitted to the decision makers in a large corporation. I can totally imagine an executive in AMD ordered to cut cost in PR and reserve the product for consumers, and the PR has to give up some reviewers.

A mature act would be to ask for a loan from other reviewers privately and do their fair review, not announcing to the public how disappointed they are.  You may say it's the freedom of journalism to report the fact, yes it is. But doing so they should list all the other samples they received or got rejected, not just one product from one company. Keep ranting about AMD not giving them a card is badmouthing, because amd is not doing wrong.

I'll reach out to Scott and see if he wants to borrow ours.

WHAT A GOOD BRO STICK IN AMDs FACE LINUS

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

this one takes the gold trophy for bullcrap: https://twitter.com/amd_roy/status/639930842727497728

tHDUGUp.png

Tweet him and ask what is unfair about TPU,TR,HC reviews. =D

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

tHDUGUp.png

Reviews need to be fair = Only reviewers that run benchmarks that favour AMD natively will get these cards,so no DX11 comparisons

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

After buying nothing but AMD since 2009, including 2x 7970 GHz, a 280X and 3x 270X, I bought a 970 and I'll be buying whatever the x80 Pascal card is. (Should be named 1080 for extra fun).

this one takes the gold trophy for bullcrap: https://twitter.com/amd_roy/status/639930842727497728

tHDUGUp.png

So, now people aren't granted review samples for when they express criticism towards a product? This seems like someone doesn't fully comply nor understand of the right of the press and freedom of speech it seems? 

Instead of taking the criticism, that these reviewers express seriously and try to improve on it, they refrain from sending a review sample all together? That seems stupid to me and just asking for bad publicity!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

So, now people aren't granted review samples for when they express criticism towards a product? This seems like someone doesn't fully comply nor understand of the right of the press and freedom of speech it seems? 

Instead of taking the criticism, that these reviewers express seriously and try to improve on it, they refrain from sending a review sample all together? That seems stupid to me and just asking for bad publicity!

and AMD is an AMERICAN COMPANY. its the most hypocritical thing ever. if anything AMD fudged their own number when they launched their own benchmarks of FURY X 

I still don't understand why you guys think everybody should get a sample.

@LinusTech - I don't think you guys are biased. But it's hard to feel that way when you guys don't seem to ever use AMD cards for anything - I'm not even talking about your render pipeline or workstations. I mean in buildlogs where the GPU used really doesn't matter. As much as it doesn't matter, rarely using AMD cards makes it feel like you think of them as accessory.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

While AMD_Roy has been nothing more than a giant douche nozzle... lets see how HardOCP have reacted to being denied a sample Nano...

nwDPMw1.jpg

Click here!

I clicked and did not find any mention of the F Word. So I looked around HardForums... and I found this gem:

ooD0EYo.jpg

Hmm...

Someone else doesn't get a free Sample "It's all good". HardOCP doesn't get a free sample:

1234931504682.jpg

Just... wow.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

See how these sides are spinning things. Incredible.

Roy are right at some point.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Wow, seriously AMD? That's pretty childish.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Damn and I really like TechPowerUp's reviews.

Too bad I guess, don't know why AMD is digging a hole right now.

While AMD_Roy has been nothing more than a giant douche nozzle... lets see how HardOCP have reacted to being denied a sample Nano...

nwDPMw1.jpg

Click here!

I clicked and did not find any mention of the F Word. So I looked around HardForums... and I found this gem:

ooD0EYo.jpg

Hmm...

Someone else doesn't get a free Sample "It's all good". HardOCP doesn't get a free sample:

1234931504682.jpg

Just... wow.

Perhaps you should actually read the article you're linking to.

Tweet him and ask what is unfair about TPU,TR,HC reviews. =D

TPU, although I quite like them, has a very biased game selection in their reviews. Especially the inclusion of Wolfenstein A new Order is problematic, as it is an OpenGL game with proprietary NVidia shaders in it. That game runs like shit, as OpenGL is a poc with broken specs. Most OpenGL AAA games will run bad on AMD, as they go out of spec and uses proprietary NVidia shaders. The end result is a very skewed weighted average fps, that will put every single AMD card below average.

Hopefully Vulkan will change OpenGL being utter useless in the future.

TPU also uses Batman Origins (which hardly needs further introduction anymore. For those out of the know:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/173511-nvidias-gameworks-program-usurps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd)

wolfenstein_1920_1080.gif

TR is doing the same by including a game like Project Cars, which we know is an NVidia biased game too:

pcars-fps.gif

I mean this is a game they use in all of their reviews, which means all AMD cards will be portrayed as bad. So much so that TR even put out an article of the problem, as their own forum criticized them:

http://techreport.com/blog/28624/reconsidering-the-overall-index-in-our-radeon-r9-fury-review

I can understand reviewers feeling like they are in a minefield. But that is part of the game. The point is that NVidia sponsored titles are generally performance gimped on AMD hardware. AMD sponsored games tends to be performance optimized for all cards (Tomb Raider for instance, where even TressFX will run efficient and optimized on NVidia hardware). What reviewers choose to include has consequences.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro