Anime= Eng Dub vs Eng Sub

brownninja97

What do you like? If you had a choice with every anime between what to watch then what will you pick and why. The explanation that eng dub is horrible isnt really the case anymore, there are some very good people voicing now.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i prefer subs. i guess it doesn't awkward when you don't understand what they are saying.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

i prefer subs. i guess it doesn't awkward when you don't understand what they are saying.

Lol my parents think im sort of fiend last time they heard me watching fairy tail in Japanese.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Subs. The girls in the originals have higher pitched voices than the English speaking people who are in the dubs. And to me Japanese just sounds better. Might just be something to do with me being half Japanese :)

Japanese sounds better.  The american voices and mispronunciation of names makes me cringe.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Japanese sounds better. Lip syncing, or lackthereof, gets to me. Badly. 

Though there are a few, exceptional, english dubs (Cowboy Bebop imo), most are crap.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Japanese sounds better.  The american voices and mispronunciation of names makes me cringe.

YES! That's something I forgot about in my earlier post. I can't stand the mispronunciation, it makes me want to punch whoever did the voices.

Subs, though I've never really tried watching a series completely in Dubbed, and if you watch dubbed after hearing the original you just can't get over how different the voice are.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

bad eyes so i can read fast enough

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I'm a pretty strong supporter of Dubs, actually. I'll watch a subbed anime if there's no dub, of course, but unless you speak Japanese, I don't think it's fair to try to judge how well another language is acted out through animation. Plus, you know, Shin Chan dubbed is infinitely better than the original, but there's just no comparison in the context there :P

Hahaha... I'm one of those people that anime lovers hate. Because I prefer dubs...

Reason: I often do stuff whilst watching and so I listen to it more than watch. Also, if I were to watch a program and want to actually watch it, I would not want to have to read the subs the whole time and instead would watch the show. Which if there are subs, you cannot do. I hope to god that that makes sense as It didn't make sense in my head as I typed it.

Simple answer: dubs before subs.

Prefer sub,did not feel immersive when watching dub.All my animes have subs and i did not watch any dub anime.Maybe because i can talk a little bit of japanese.

I watch it with Subs because I learn Japanese from it. Not completely obviously, but basic things. 

Like (phonetically spelled),

Oni - Troll/Goblin style demon
Akuma - Evil demon
Nifu - Meat
Onii-chan - brother
Watashi wa - I am, in an intangible property kind of way.
Kawaii - Cute
Chibi - small
Sempai - honorific style title for upper classmen

I could go on for a while. Obviously those are make shift definitions but they generally mean that. I'm sure the specific, actual, translations are slightly different.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Japanese sub all the way. 
Dub sounds horrible... I haven't watched a dub which is superior to the original japanese sub... except maybe yugioh.

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

listening a language i can understand while watching anime

is better than

listen to language i dont understand and just reading

rather buy a book

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Japanese sub all the way. 

Dub sounds horrible... I haven't watched a dub which is superior to the original japanese sub... except maybe yugioh.

Persona 4 animation, watched in sub and dub. Very very hard to decide which is better but for them to be equal shows how far dubbing has come. 

Listen if you care.

Persona 4 animation, watched in sub and dub. Very very hard to decide which is better but for them to be equal shows how far dubbing has come. 

i'll give it a check! :D

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

I've yet to watch a dub featuring Laura Bailey (Rise) that's been poor. We really have some awesome VA's working on localizing, not to mention the other people who contribute to localizing a script.

The only downside to dubbing in general, or so has been the case for the past 10 years give or take, is that there's no benign editing (cutting single frames here and there) that takes place, so the lips will only coincidentally match the spoken dub (this isn't as big of a deal in Anime as live action imo). In the early days of localization, looking back to the 1950s, this kind of editing was much more common and made for a more polished appearance.

I've yet to watch a dub featuring Laura Bailey (Rise) that's been poor. We really have some awesome VA's working on localizing, not to mention the other people who contribute to localizing a script.

The only downside to dubbing in general, or so has been the case for the past 10 years give or take, is that there's no benign editing (cutting single frames here and there) that takes place, so the lips will only coincidentally match the spoken dub (this isn't as big of a deal in Anime as live action imo). In the early days of localization, looking back to the 1950s, this kind of editing was much more common and made for a more polished appearance.

The other downside is a mistranslation or jokes that get missed/do not make sense due to different cultures. If you watch the Japanese subs, it usually has a "Translator's note" explaining the joke or reference. Then, once you become familiar with them, you don't need that anymore and it is like an inside joke for you. I like that.

The only time such things truly make it over to dubs is when it is story relevant and even then, it does not always make it in the poorer quality dubs.

† Christian Member †

I like dubs on the works I've watched such as Hayate the Combat Butler, Death Note, God Save our King!, Aria the Scarlet Ammo, etc. However, Gintama was pretty good and kept me watching, even if it was subs. For me, I'll always want dubs first [provided they are of a good quality] and subs only as a last resort.

PC in Profile

Subs all the way^^ but that's because i understand spoken japanese a bit so i only need the subs for clarification.

The only ones i can watch dubbed are Hellsing and Cowboy bebob

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

It doesn't really bother me to be honest. I'll watch an anime dubbed or subbed just because I enjoy the anime that much. One I've been watch lately is Attack on Titan. I think subs overall are better though because the voicing is how it was meant to be compared to the English translation with a western voice.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I always prefer subs unless the dub is exceptionally good.

4930k @ 4.5GHz - EVGA 780ti Superclocked ACX - ASUS x79 Deluxe - 32GB Tactical Tracer @ 2133

[eng dub] Black Lagoon, Pokemon, Dragon Ball series

[eng sub] everything else

If you like eng dub then you will miss out on the OVA's / won't enjoy them.

Also I can't stand the way the eng voice actors pronounce the Japanese names.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Subs all the way. Seriously I can't understand how people can torture themselves with dubs. The only show I've seen with a decent dub (decent as in i didn't shut it off after a single sentence) is Haruhi, and that's just because they dubbed Kyon so well. Everyone else (especially Haruhi) is awful in the dub.

I would love to hear some of these "good" VAs OP was talking about.