"Project Fallen" ~ Design and Development Log

MzCatieB

That's the approach we took when learning Maya and Max, and I'm always learning new things in those by myself (Well, in Maya. I hate Max) but I feel like UDK got shoehorned in at the last moment.

I'm using Blender on the project. The License makes it nice and the Customization is clean... aslong as you know python

Character artist in the Games industry.

I'm using Blender on the project. The License makes it nice and the Customization is clean... aslong as you know python

I've not tried using Blender before. How does it stack up against Max and Maya?

I've not tried using Blender before. How does it stack up against Max and Maya?

considering the cost... its hands down, allot better.

it does EVERYTHING 3ds/Maya/Zbrush and mudbox can do in one package.

The UI takes a while to figure out but 1s you get your head around it its quick and easy to use.

Its constantly upgraded and if there is an issue or a feature missing and you have the knowledge, you can put it in your self.

And the licence... is 100% hands down free...

The only thing missing from it at the moment is a Apex PhysX editor... Which i can do in the ApexPhysX SDK anyway

considering the cost... its hands down, allot better.

it does EVERYTHING 3ds/Maya/Zbrush and mudbox can do in one package.

The UI takes a while to figure out but 1s you get your head around it its quick and easy to use.

Its constantly upgraded and if there is an issue or a feature missing and you have the knowledge, you can put it in your self.

And the licence... is 100% hands down free...

The only thing missing from it at the moment is a Apex PhysX editor... Which i can do in the ApexPhysX SDK anyway

Yeah, the cost is absurd, but then again, I have no intention of paying for them. Still, I'll probably give Blender a go. I'm open to all new software it there's a chance I'll find something that I like better.

Blender To Unreal 4 is proving a tad fiddly, I think im going to need to Add in some script to remove some of the issues... but

Here is the Base Player mesh next to the Default UE4 Mesh:

post-2896-0-88072500-1395510994.jpg

Blue Model is the UE4 default

The smaller model in front is the player. 

I have reasons why the player is smaller than the default

Fallen's map is going to be massive... like WoW massive

so you decide to go whit a sort of mmofps or is that still up for consideration?

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

so you decide to go whit a sort of mmofps or is that still up for consideration?

I feel like MMo is going to be best for the project.

i am actually planning to merge fallen with an old project i had planned.

nice can't for the demo video now :D

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

nice can't for the demo video now :D

Camera's working, Player is in, just need to build the Animations and some added functions, then i can do the first update video

Don't take this the wrong way, but this project sounds like it's getting a little too ambitious. Are you sure you can pull it off?

Don't take this the wrong way, but this project sounds like it's getting a little too ambitious. Are you sure you can pull it off?

Mechanics whys its not that much

Cover, Climbing and Exp with leveling.

The hardest overall mechanics is going to be climbing, but thats not even that difficult cause its just Collision detection.

Graphically its going to be interesting. (i'm not claiming to be making Crysis 3 level of graphics and i dont plan to)

The hardest overall thing to get working is going to be Server connection and player volume.

However during testing its going to be Pier to Pier connection, then when the full version roles out i will be getting a server up and running.

Map Scale whys UE4 has a Active loading system thats only about 20 or so lines of C++.

I plan on doing the game scale based on districts though.

Also the Pet system isnt that hard, Basic programming to tell the AI to Follow the Player with Min-Max range.

I would like to note, i do Run tests and to allot of research before posting possible updates.

Between now and the end of the year i will be working on getting the Beta together.

Nothing more than mechanics (That all the testers will have the privilege Testing for me) Simple Graphics and a Expanded Level, with pier to pier connection.

Then once i can get funding for the project i will be working on getting a servers together and a small team to Expand on the Mechanics and build up Content.

From what I've heard untill now, the game begins to sound more and more like Defiance. The weapons crafting, the MMO elements, the post apocalyptic setting, the third person perspective.  

I know much of the game is still in the planning phase, so things might change a lot.

Edit: I just wanted to point out that I don't see the similarities with Defiance as a bad thing, since I somewhat liked that game, and if you can improve on the formular it can only become better 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

From what I've heard untill now, the game begins to sound more and more like Defiance. The weapons crafting, the MMO elements, the post apocalyptic setting, the third person perspective.  

I know much of the game is still in the planning phase, so things might change a lot.

Edit: I just wanted to point out that I don't see the similarities with Defiance as a bad thing, since I somewhat liked that game, and if you can improve on the formular it can only become better 

After looking around at existing projects i would say games like: Assassins Creed, The Division, Runescape, Maybe Watch Dogs and maybe Destiny.

Saying that, i dont consider them Competition, Not that i'm scared of them, but Fallen is going to be its own entity.

After looking around at existing projects i would say games like: Assassins Creed, The Division, Runescape, Maybe Watch Dogs and maybe Destiny.

Saying that, i dont consider them Competition, Not that i'm scared of them, but Fallen is going to be its own entity.

After playing Titanfall, I can tell you that giving us Jetpacks would make the game 1000x cooler (because that's what Jetpacks do).

It doesn't have to be right off the bat, but eventually. If we are going to be climbing, Jetpacks seem to go well with that (depending how "vertical" you want to make the world).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

After playing Titanfall, I can tell you that giving us Jetpacks would make the game 1000x cooler (because that's what Jetpacks do).

It doesn't have to be right off the bat, but eventually. 

im considering adding in Grabble hooks... but no jetpacks

im considering adding in Grabble hooks... but no jetpacks

That's a good compromise. 

Reminded me of this, which would make an FPS crazy as hell:

http://youtu.be/59JSNAw3bYA?t=46s

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

not like that xD

I figured. I could hope. :P 

Can't wait to see what you have in action. Sounds awesome so far.

† Christian Member †

I figured. I could hope. :P 

Can't wait to see what you have in action. Sounds awesome so far.

Video update will be Asap, Testing though will be 1s i can get an update client for the project up and running, unless you guys want to be downloading 1+gb's every few days

Video update will be Asap, Testing though will be 1s i can get an update client for the project up and running, unless you guys want to be downloading 1+gb's every few days

manual updates !? Oh the hassle i want to foget all about manual updates :P

manual updates !? Oh the hassle i want to foget all about manual updates :P

Thats why, no external testing till i can get a client together :P

At some point there has to be a bacon gun or camo.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1