"Project Fallen" ~ Design and Development Log

MzCatieB

It might just a weird perspective thing, but the one leg looks like it's inverted/inwards?

The knees are the wrong way around of the UDK side?

Both right... need to fix it before moving forward.

Character artist in the Games industry.

Another Blog from my Tumblr last night...

http://fringatoon.tumblr.com/post/79815930669/lost-in-the-story

While you bring up a good point about the players own story, I think there is something that is missed. 

The players story are, for the most parts, left as blank as possible on purpose. This so the that the person playing the game can write them self into the story. This is the same tactic that worked in Twilight. Bella was such a blank character, that everyone could put themself in her place.

The difference between games are the tools that they give you to develope the players story. The biggest difference between a game like CoD: MW2 and Fallout 3, is that in CoD, you are just Drone #87 that shoots people and sometimes blow stuff up. The game doesn't give you any tools to develope the character. In Fallout 3 you are give a lot of of tools. You can chose to evil or good, you can choose to explore or just do the main quests. The choice is yours. 

All that said, most singelplayer characters are not left completly blank. Usually they are given a personallty, a back story and motives. This is to force the person playing to put them self in the players shoes. For example: When I was playing GTA IV, i could absolutly put myself in Niko Bellics shoes, but I also questioned his actions. Was is revenge really worth is sacrifices? Was his actions justified? This means that we not only read ourselfs into the character, but we are forced to identify with the character.    

Edit: What I'm trying to say is essentially this: While the games story can be reduced to the three you mentioned, the players story is something else. The person playing will, given the right tools, create their own story for the player. You as the game developer ´just´ have to make those tools available. 

Atleast these were my 2¢ and I hope that what i wrote makes any sort of sense.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

While you bring up a good point about the players own story, I think there is something that is missed. 

The players story are, for the most parts, left as blank as possible on purpose. This so the that the person playing the game can write them self into the story. This is the same tactic that worked in Twilight. Bella was such a blank character, that everyone could put themself in her place.

The difference between games are the tools that they give you to develope the players story. The biggest difference between a game like CoD: MW2 and Fallout 3, is that in CoD, you are just Drone #87 that shoots people and sometimes blow stuff up. The game doesn't give you any tools to develope the character. In Fallout 3 you are give a lot of of tools. You can chose to evil or good, you can choose to explore or just do the main quests. The choice is yours. 

All that said, most singelplayer characters are not left completly blank. Usually they are given a personallty, a back story and motives. This is to force the person playing to put them self in the players shoes. For example: When I was playing GTA IV, i could absolutly put myself in Niko Bellics shoes, but I also questioned his actions. Was is revenge really worth is sacrifices? Was his actions justified? This means that we not only read ourselfs into the character, but we are forced to identify with the character.    

Edit: What I'm trying to say is essentially this: While the games story can be reduced to the three you mentioned, the players story is something else. Person playing will, given the right tools, create their own story for the player. You as the game developer ´just´ have to make those tools available. 

Atleast these were my 2¢ and I hope that what i wrote makes any sort of sense.

Thats why i made the blog, i'm not sure if i should build the game up after the events and let the play just play it as they wish or implement some levels of story.

Maybe collectibles around the game like Camera's and pictures that tell the story of what happened, then just have quest's dotted around the game.

Thats why i made the blog, i'm not sure if i should build the game up after the events and let the play just play it as they wish or implement some levels of story.

Maybe collectibles around the game like Camera's and pictures that tell the story of what happened, then just have quest's dotted around the game.

I kinda like the idea about the pictures and cameras. If a character has no clear backstory, but the events of the backstory is hinted at in picture (Maybe even through NPCs), it would make the person playing think about the backstory. Say if an NPC tells the player something about an event that happend in the past, but the player finds a picture that tells a different story, the who do you trust? To a certain extend this will make person playing make his/hers own backstory. And with that backstory there actions in the present might be different.

Project is going to be paused for a while due to... innovation :3 

unrealengine4logo.png

My-Body-is-Ready-random-31574380-320-319

UE4 looks amazing. 

Will you be able to transfer the things you have done in UE3 to UE4  

My-Body-is-Ready-random-31574380-320-319

UE4 looks amazing. 

Will you be able to transfer the things you have done in UE3 to UE4  

Content, (Models, animations, textures) yes

Programming no, im gonna need to reprogram allot of things...

Camera, Movement ext...

Content, (Models, animations, textures) yes

Programming no, im gonna need to reprogram allot of things...

Camera, Movement ext...

That's too bad. Will it atleast be somewhat similar to program, so you don't have to figure everything out again? or will you have to start from scratch?

That's too bad. Will it atleast be somewhat similar to program, so you don't have to figure everything out again? or will you have to start from scratch?

More or less from scratch :| going to start from step one though.

First plan is to get the player walking around with the camera correctly, then adding in jogging and sprinting.

and then move up to Cover and climbing

Wait, does that mean we can't download UE3 for free anymore?

Wait, does that mean we can't download UE3 for free anymore?

i dont know at the moment.

i'm going to be taking a quote from the Welcome message from Epic for UE4...

This is just added awesome for Fallen in my opinion

This first release of Unreal Engine 4 is just the beginning. In the C++ code, you can see many new initiatives underway, for example to support Oculus VR, Linux, Valve’s Steamworks and Steam Box efforts, and deployment of games to web browsers via HTML5.  It’s all right there, in plain view, on day one of many years of exciting and open development ahead!

at a quick glance at the existing assets in UE4, i have evaluated that... Fallen will be back up and running in the next few weeks.

i dont know at the moment.

I really hope that they don't stop support for UDK.

I really hope that they don't stop support for UDK.

I feel like they should do a cut version of UE4, Limited server cap, only ftp games for release ext. and that replace UDK

then the full pro version for full access where you get everything.

I feel like they should do a cut version of UE4, Limited server cap, only ftp games for release ext. and that replace UDK

then the full pro version for full access where you get everything.

That sounds like a good idea. How is working in UE4 compared to UE3? Is the interface largley unchanged, or I'm I going to have to spend a lot of time re-learning stuff?

That sounds like a good idea. How is working in UE4 compared to UE3? Is the interface largley unchanged, or I'm I going to have to spend a lot of time re-learning stuff?

It has changed allot, but the new layout is just so easy its not even worth thinking about relearning cause its just all there for you,

Programming is clean and streamline, the blueprint system is outstanding and beautiful to work with

And creating graphical content is so outstanding... i think Fallen's graphics are going to be :3 interesting :P 

This is content that comes with UE4, but remember, im using a GTX660 currently

This is to show the level of detail that i will be able to achieve for Fallen.

post-2896-0-24652300-1395353903_thumb.jp

Combined with Apex PhysX (Cloth, destruction and particles) Fallen's potential had jumped up in terms of content :P

That's amazing! The level of detail you can put in looks wonderful

Golly, I sure hope that my internets are all in a safe place...