Since when was input lag over 100ms?

I was watching this video: 

And Nvidia claimed they reduced input lag to 47ms which to my understanding is still awful...

I've played on a tv that had about 50ms of input lag and that felt awful so what exactly is being described in this video?

1) Are they talking about a different type of input lag in the video?

2) How come this only applies to MOBA games?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Different type of input lag, but they are also comparing to ancient shit.

No idea why they decided the 600 series should be the basis of comparion for the 900 series. Its stupid as fuck.

And its because the tricks they are doing only work of the gpu isn't taxed that much, aka all moba games.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

enable vsync and ul go way higher then 100ms input lag xD ( especially on low hz monitors , 50/60hz )

Then how come games feel so responsive when paired with a low input lag monitor?

100ms input lag = 0.1s

Human reaction speed is about 0.25s.

I don't know what you mean

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

SNIP

Dont forget Input lag is actually more considerable than people think

-Latency from the mouse to the PC

-latency from the pc processing the data (lots of little ones in here, CPU, GPU, RAM etc)

-latency from the pc sending the info to the monitor

-latency from the monitor processing the image

-latency from the monitor displaying the image

-latency from the monitor changing from one image to another

lets not forget the human reaction time is way longer

IF your TV was 50ms, thats an extra 50ms in the chain, compared to a monitor with say a 5ms

So lets say everything else was 50ms, your slow tv would then add an extra 50ms

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

100ms input lag = 0.1s

0.1s is a lot of time in MOBA games especialy when luck is involved because luck is also part of the game.

-Latency from the mouse to the PC

-latency from the pc processing the data (lots of little ones in here, CPU, GPU, RAM etc)

-latency from the pc sending the info to the monitor

-latency from the monitor processing the image

-latency from the monitor displaying the image

-latency from the monitor changing from one image to another

lets not forget the human reaction time is way longer

IF your TV was 50ms, thats an extra 50ms in the chain, compared to a monitor with say a 5ms

So lets say everything else was 50ms, your slow tv would then add an extra 50ms

Yes but how come if you played on a low latency monitor <15ms it feels super responsive when playing games but when you use a display of 30ms< it feels less responsive to your actions yet you are only adding 15ms of delay..

Then how come games feel so responsive when paired with a low input lag monitor?

ive posted it on another post before but here it is :P

Input delay is determined by

without vsync enabled

mouse delay > cpu time(includes memory latency) > gpu time > frame transmission > lcd response time

with vsync enabled

mouse delay > cpu time(includes memory latency) > gpu time > frame transmission > double vsync/triple vsync buffer(wich is usually pretty huge) > lcd response time

having a mouse with 1ms response time instead of 2ms response time could mean the difference between it beeing in the next frame or not, same for the monitor

aswell it is determined on how much the motherboard has to calculate/process ( setting to manual will help improving input delay , disabling extra usb controllers, voltage monitors/temperature monitors, disabling features such as speedstep,c - states ect ) but it is also determined on the time that software has to do its job such as executing codes / commands  ( could add a huge list of factors that can improve input delay but the post would be insanely huge then ... so il leave it at this for now )

a piece of software such as  a monitoring software ( hardware monitor ) could have a pretty big impact on input delay aswell because not only does the motherboard have to process this, but aswell the software then

(◑‿◐)

No idea why they decided the 600 series should be the basis of comparion for the 900 series. Its stupid as fuck.

They are comparing 'ancient shit' becasue a large number of users are still using it. 

So it isn't 'stupid as fuck', kid. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

And its because the tricks they are doing only work of the gpu isn't taxed that much, aka all moba games.

the 900 series are compared to the 600 series because thats the ones who recommend the upgrade for, who will see tangible performance gain by large amounts.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Yes but how come if you played on a low latency monitor <15ms it feels super responsive when playing games but when you use a display of 30ms< it feels less responsive to your actions yet you are only adding 15ms of delay..

Because the latency between frames is the most noticable

If somebody added 50ms of latency to your mouse clicks you would not notice - since your reaction time varies and is like 250ms on average

If there was 50ms of latency added between frames of a video, you would notice more, since things would appear more juttery etc, its much more noticeable to your human senses

(that is my understanding, if I am wrong someone correct me)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the 900 series are compared to the 600 series because thats the ones who recommend the upgrade for, who will see tangible performance gain by large amounts.

That's correct.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

If somebody added 50ms of latency to your mouse clicks you would not notice - since your reaction time varies and is like 250ms on average

If there was 50ms of latency added between frames of a video, you would notice more, since things would appear more juttery etc, its much more noticeable to your human senses

I still don't get it.

Let's say in a perfect world the only thing with any input lag is a mouse click which has 50ms. You are saying I wouldn't notice this.

However, lets say the only thing with any latency is the display which has 50ms. How come I notice this delay but not the mouse delay.

I'm so freaking confused :((

100ms input lag = 0.1s

Well how come we can tell the difference between a display with 15ms of input lag and a display with 50ms of input lag..?

I still don't get it.

Let's say in a perfect world the only thing with any input lag is a mouse click which has 50ms. You are saying I wouldn't notice this.

However, lets say the only thing with any latency is the display which has 50ms. How come I notice this delay but not the mouse delay.

I'm so freaking confused :((

Because your eyes have less latency than your fingers (that sounds retarded but its true)

See I can see the difference between 60 and 120 frames per second

60 frames per second  = 16.7 ms between frames

120 frames per second = 8.3 ms between frames

However, on a reaction test, I can only get like 250ms ... I see the change happen instantly... but it takes me 250ms to click my mouse. so my finger would not notice much difference.between say 200 and 250. 

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

reaction time and input latency is somthing totally different of eachother ,  ur reactiontime might be 200ms average ( human average )  while u can feel input delay to maybe as low as 5-10ms  ( u dont need reactiontime to be able to feel / see difference )

u can see more then u can react to, its just somthing totally different :P

stupid example > u see a ball moving at u at 100mph < ul see it coming and u know exactly where it goes... but u cant react to it and ul get it :P   ul see it but u cant react... input delay... u can feel it and see it... , but you are the one moving first... its the opposite of reaction(reactiontime,reacting to somthing ;x... it is reacting to u... not u to it ;x )

edit

same about the fps u just said, u can see much more then u can (react) to... ur eyes can perceive a extreme amount of data, while the brain cant even send a signal quick enough to react to it :P   u see it and know it, but reaction is not about vision

(◑‿◐)

u can see more then u can react to, its just somthing totally different :P

I know... but considering that when you are gaming you are reacting to things you see (clicking a speech box, clicking on an enemys head to shoot, pressing a button to move a car)

But if your reaction time is 250ms, + say 100ms from the mouse click to register = 350ms overall

if your reaction time is 250ms + now its only 50ms from the mouse click = 300ms overall

But your eyes reaction time is like a fraction of that, you will see something hundred of times faster than your body can react

Input latency IS noticeable, but I dont think its that serious a factor as long as it isnt hundreds of ms

Well how come we can tell the difference between a display with 15ms of input lag and a display with 50ms of input lag..?

Do you mean input lag or response time by the way?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

yeah I just changed my thing to that

But if your reaction time is 250ms, + say 100ms from the mouse click to register = 350ms overall

if your reaction time is 250ms + now its only 50ms from the mouse click = 300ms overall -

true because after u clicked.. the input delay will come to affect and reactiontime + input delay = ur total reaction time on a pc test for example, som1 with insane... and insanely low input delay but with an average reaction time,, wouldnt score 200ms average like all humans but probably more like 150-180ms << because the input delay  was improved the reactiontime on the pc is improved aswell :P

(◑‿◐)

Do you mean input lag or response time by the way?

responsetime has nothing to do with what he posted... eventhough it is a part of the input delay :P

(◑‿◐)