MIT finds out how to 3D print glass

Source: Engadget

MIT has created a new system which allows them to 3D print glass. They used two heated chambers, one 1900°F chamber acting as a kiln and another to anneal the structures.

Full story/source:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/21/mit-figured-out-how-to-3d-print-using-glass-instead-of-plastic//?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget&ncid=rss_semi

Screen+Shot+2015-08-21+at+9.44.35+AM.png

Am I the only one who has a craving to eat molten glass? I mean you CAN eat it. But only once.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Kind of dissapointing imo. I would have hoped it would be a sintering system rather than the typical fdm style of 3d printing. The only real difference between this and your run of the mill fdm 3d printers is the heat at which they run.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

just looks like liquidized glass -.-

cuz thats what it is -_-

Oh please like anyone will actually do this. That kind of 3d printer will be damn expensive, the one we have at school was 32k$ but only does plastic. Let alone glass. Its easy to say hey this is possible we did it, its another to make it affordable. I still bet hand made glass is of higher quality.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Oh please like anyone will actually do this. That kind of 3d printer will be damn expensive, the one we have at school was 32k$ but only does plastic. Let alone glass. Its easy to say hey this is possible we did it, its another to make it affordable. I still bet hand made glass is of higher quality.

ours is 55k at my high school

but it was donated.

Which plastics does yours do?

ours is PBS 

dat glASS

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Meh, the traditional way is much cooler.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Yeah OK, but transparent aluminium WHEN???

No I'm kidding, this is cool.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

From Plastic to Ice Cream to Glass.

MIT has got their priorities straight.

You have a 3D printer at school?

Wow.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Wow.

My school has three, lol.. I have the Ind.Tech teacher for homeroom and can watch them print stuff all the time ;)

Wow.

Yeah it does plastic AND support material, its a uprint 32k$, im one of 4 people that know how to use it xD

but it was donated.

Which plastics does yours do?

ours is PBS 

Nice! Ours was purchased by the school ministry for manufacturing and robotics.

I believe ours is PBS too? It rings a bell but ive never read the side of the package for the plastic in detail.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

My school has three, lol.. I have the Ind.Tech teacher for homeroom and can watch them print stuff all the time ;)

someone tryed to print a dick out at our school.

Jeez.

In Romania most schools barely have a room with computers (from like 2007).

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

cuz thats what it is -_-

just looks like liquidized glass -.-

*plot twist* Glass is actually liquid already.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html

Just a highly viscous liquid

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

I went to a store a few days ago and I saw a 3D printer for €1700 of course it wasn't an industrial one but still it was a 3D printer.

Lol, i have a 3d printet at home. Actually we are developing it. Costs under 1k$ and prints any plastics with melting point up to 260°C (not tested higher), dual extruders, 20x20x20cm print size.

If you like it, please PM me. I will tell you more details.

Glass from the 1800s was a highly viscous liquid due to the crappy manufacturing process and massive amounts of impurities.

Modern Glass is solid.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Not many people know that. You just need to go to an old building (some churches are a good example, and compare the thickness of the glass at the bottom to the glass at the top (for me its easy, the house I live in is old enough for the 'run down' to become noticeable).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL