Oracle Claims Google Has Destroyed Java Market

jos
Oracle’s lengthy fight against the Android operating system took another twist this week after it expanded its lawsuit against Google. And the software giant accused Google of “destroying” the market for Java.

“Android has achieved with its continued unauthorised use of the 37 Java API packages over the past few years, Android has now irreversibly destroyed Java’s fundamental value proposition as a potential mobile device operating system by breaking the “write once, run anywhere” principle on which Java was built,” Oracle said. “Google’s increasing domination of the mobile device market with Android and its continuing failure and refusal to make Android compatible with the Java platform has destroyed the potential value of a licensed derivative version of the Java platform in the mobile device market.”

JAVA you a big security problem and brings innovation down. Looks like they are moaning as no one is using JAVA phone.

Oracle destroyed Java by not being able to patch all these security problems quickly.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Google could just move over to Dart which is what they want to switch over to anyways. I like development on android with Java, it's overall less annoying then having to deal with swift. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Claim as much as you like Oracle, we all know it was all you.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Oracle destroyed Java by not being able to patch all these security problems quickly.

And by going after anyone who exposes all their problems rather than spending money on fixing them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Last attempt for Oracle to look good whike exiting the market but asking a big cash compensation. Should had worried about fixing the bugs than worrying about competition.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

One of my friends doesn't even know Oracle is still a company. 

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Oracle is just trying to shift the blame onto someone else, because they couldn't fix Java's problems and got caught with their pants down. Java is easy enough to run on desktops and laptops because of the gobs of computational horsepower modern x86 processors have at their disposal. On mobile, however, Java is just too big, slow and cumbersome for ARM processors to handle optimally and that still hasn't been sorted yet. So, really Oracle, you've nobody else to blame but yourselves.

LOL, wait they are sueing Google because they oracle lost in the smartphone game? thats like chevy suing ford for having the most sold truck every year for to long. 

So many people joining into the hate even though most have little to no software development experience... Mixing up the web applet form of Java and the main jvm is so common that it's crazy as well. Such a massive amount of system run off of Java yet, "Google saved Java they should be greatful" lol. As I've deployed java fot many varying forms of applications from robotics, desktop software, and web applications, I may a little bias; however, the fact that java really is write once deploy anywhere makes it extremely powerful. Android really did mess that part of the equation up on their end, as much as I like Google and Android.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Java deserves to die, too many ways to get malware through Java, not much patching of the flaws. Only good thing left of Java are in Minecraft.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Oracle is just trying to shift the blame onto someone else, because they couldn't fix Java's problems and got caught with their pants down. Java is easy enough to run on desktops and laptops because of the gobs of computational horsepower modern x86 processors have at their disposal. On mobile, however, Java is just too big, slow and cumbersome for ARM processors to handle optimally and that still hasn't been sorted yet. So, really Oracle, you've nobody else to blame but yourselves.

xD The ARM jvm that keep in mind runs on top of a lightweight Linux distro can run a robot on a board with a 667mhz dual core cpu with 256mB of ram just fine. So what exactly does that mean?

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Well, it's not like anyone really cares about Oracle at this point..

Thats not completely true they probably are pretty much only useful in the server space at this point though. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I don't really understand...

Google took Oracles Java APIs and customer tailored them to build Android on top of, but by doing so made normal java code incavle of running on the platform. What makes Java unique, and made it so popular, is the JVM that allows a Java program written once to run on any machine that the JVM exist for. Ex: Mac, Linux, Windows on any architecture x86, 64x, ARM, etc. Really they have a real case since they kind of messed up what Java is and is supposed to be without permission on Oracles part.

Well, it's not like anyone really cares about Oracle at this point..

Uh, database admins the world over do (Oracle is the leading database software provider). Banks and scale-up server architects do. IBM certainly does. Oracle may not have made Java great, but Oracle is still huge and very valuable in the software and hardware worlds.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Say what you want about Java's security, performance and whatever, but Oracle has a valid point. Google completely broke compatibility, which is Javas only strength, and it appears like they did it without agreeing to the services of service for using Java.

Java is crap, they've destroyed themselves.

I second this comment.  For a brief period in my career after developing GBA and Nintendo DS games, I worked on MIDP Java devices in the era of flip phones and 10 FPS games.  The incredibly ironic outcome was that nearly every device family implemented Java functionality in a slightly different way.

Without getting to technical and detailed, key press events on one family of phones would come-in on the main thread via standard event model whereas another family of devices sent the event immediately (on a thread which was not the main).  As a result, depending on the game, handling a key-press on another thread which is not the main could result in certain types of race conditions and ultimately crashes because of the poor implementation of MIDP on that device family.

While we knew these were issues, we made a portability layer for .... wait for it.... --> Java.  That's right.  The programming language which prided itself on "compile once, run anywhere" byte-code applications, in practice nearly 500 devices in that time era required its own porting layer.  Yes, I know that the common criticism of this comment would be "that is the fault of MIDP, not Java itself", the reality is that the final outcome is anything Java-related has a notably crappy experience no matter who or what is integrating it.

So to reinforce your comment, I additionally bring cold hard evidence that Java sucks, and it always has for decades.

Go home Java, you're drunk!

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Google took Oracles Java APIs and customer tailored them to build Android on top of, but by doing so made normal java code incavle of running on the platform. What makes Java unique, and made it so popular, is the JVM that allows a Java program written once to run on any machine that the JVM exist for. Ex: Mac, Linux, Windows on any architecture x86, 64x, ARM, etc. Really they have a real case since they kind of messed up what Java is and is supposed to be without permission on Oracles part.

Oh I see. I mean, programming applications is similar, but I can see why Google did this. You can't really have desktop applications running on a phone right? It wouldn't work out, and security would be very poor. Google took Oracles Java APIs that are open-source to my understanding?, and built something out of them will sticking with the java core in a way. I see where Oracle is coming from, and think they will win if they have a ToS surrounding this.

blackshades on

Trying to shift the blame to another company, I see?