DISCUSSION: Is it fair to rate low for an app that doesn't work on your device?

Takaprime

post-116346-0-88417000-1439482750.png

Have you ever noticed that whenever you look at the ratings for pretty much any app on the app store the most common rating is 5 stars, followed by 4, then 3. But 1 star is almost always more common than 2 stars. 

When I look through the 1 star ratings, many of them are just people who didn't like the game, but a significant number of them rated 1 star just because that particular app didn't work on their particular device (unnecessary examples below). The game it'self may be great, but they didn't get to play it so they rate low, usually 1 or 2 stars.

post-116346-0-41158300-1439482751.png

post-116346-0-90658300-1439482751.png

post-116346-0-08967900-1439482752.png

post-116346-0-23550200-1439482752.png

So is it fair to give an app a low rating because it doesn't work for you, or not?

Should the developers be criticized for not being able to include every device?

Should those who can't experience it not be able to rate it in the first place?

post-116346-0-88417000-1439482750.png

post-116346-0-41158300-1439482751.png

post-116346-0-90658300-1439482751.png

post-116346-0-08967900-1439482752.png

post-116346-0-23550200-1439482752.png

Maybe. If it is payed, it should be validated to work on most devices, but if its free, then is it bad that it does not work on your device? as you didnt really loose anything.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Maybe. If it is payed, it should be validated to work on most devices, but if its free, then is it bad that it does not work on your device? as you didnt really loose anything.

I agree. 

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

If its a high-end phone that it is expected to run on, like say a Galaxy Note - Yes its fair.

If its a no-name brand low-end Phone - I'd say no.

Same goes with Steam and Steam Games. If a game runs like absolute crap on TitanX SLI, It's a crappy job from the Developer. Whereas if you can not play Witcher 3 on an Ultrabook, it's understandable.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Say "I'm sure the app is great but it doesn't work on my [X]"

If it states what it works on no. If it doesn't still no. Android has so many different hardware configs you can't garantee it to work on everything

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

That's very true, money make thing a lot more high stakes. How many devices should you make sure to accommodate for? Should those outside of even those still have the right to rate low?

on games I would say no but on apps unless it designed to run on specific hardware (like only supports the wifi driver of Nexus4 in order to work) I would say no but everything else yes.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

If its a high-end phone that it is expected to run on, like say a Galaxy Note - Yes its fair.

If its a no-name brand low-end Phone - I'd say no.

Same goes with Steam and Steam Games. If a game runs like absolute crap on TitanX SLI, It's a crappy job from the Developer. Whereas if you can not play Witcher 3 on an Ultrabook, it's understandable.

Should developers start posting system requirements for their apps then?

Say "I'm sure the app is great but it doesn't work on my [X]"

But can you actually be sure? you haven't been able to experience it yet and give a valid opinion on whether or not it is any good or not.

You have to remember that most users will not always rate the game itself but the experience they had with the game. 

In this case while I personally don't like that users will rate a game at 1 star due to the compatibility issues they are facing I totally understand their motives. 

If the game has been advertised as compatible with their system it should run. Though many people would rather have the touch and go experience without any issues rather than taking some time to troubleshoot their own problems. 

But can you actually be sure? you haven't been able to experience it yet and give a valid opinion on whether or not it is any good or not.

It's not an opinion of the app, it's an "I'm sure" which doesn't mean "I'm certain". It's a phrase used alot in England

You have to remember that most users will not always rate the game itself but the experience they had with the game. 

In this case while I personally don't like that users will rate a game at 1 star due to the compatibility issues they are facing I totally understand their motives. 

If the game has been advertised as compatible with their system it should run. Though many people would rather have the touch and go experience without any issues rather than taking some time to troubleshoot their own problems. 

Good point.  It makes sense to rate based on the feeling the app gave you. If you were frustrated that it didn't work it makes sense to rate low. But is it the developer's fault for not making sure it is compatible with your device? Even devices of the exact same model can differ from each other based on who's using it and what they are doing.

@Takaprime you should add a "depends upon the device" item to the poll, because the device could be a $50 phone from a brand that's unheard of or it could be a $700 flagship from Samsung.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

@Takaprime you should add a "depends upon the device" item to the poll, because the device could be a $50 phone from a brand that's unheard of or it could be a $700 flagship from Samsung.

Thanks

~Added~

Unless you're using a cheapo phone, a phone from an unknown brand or the app has a compatibility list (and your device is not on it), yes, it's completely fair imo.

It's fair. You don't only rate the content of the app, but also how good or bad it performs.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Good point.  It makes sense to rate based on the feeling the app gave you. If you were frustrated that it didn't work it makes sense to rate low. But is it the developer's fault for not making sure it is compatible with your device? Even devices of the exact same model can differ from each other based on who's using it and what they are doing.

No, there is no fault on the developer since there are multiple variables they cannot account for. 

It's an unfair situation to be in as the developer. You can really only acknowledge that the app itself will be incompatible with certain devices even if the game itself is great. 

I would say the entire system is flawed though. In situations like this I would like to see a more in-depth review system where the customer can specify that the app did not work but no star rating is given to the product itself. So you would have essentially two alternate review systems, one for the app and one for the game. 

If it doesn't work and it looks ok, take the base rating of 3 stars (in the middle, neutral since you weren't able to use it and don't be biased) and subtract 1 because it didn't work on your device (counting as a con since it has less compatibility)

So the fairest rating you can give it is 2 stars. 

1 star is when it's absolute garbage.

Most of the time if an Android app doesn't work it's probably because it isn't compatible with the version of Android you're using. For example if an app doesn't work on Lollipop it is probably badly coded.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Tell you the truth, if it was a program I bought, yeah, I'd give it a one rating until it worked. Free? All I really lost was a few minutes, and I probably just wouldn't rate it at all.

They likely already have data on what the majority of their users are using, so they can validate for those sorts of phones, but it will be far more rigorous than that.

Lot of precaution has to be taken when you are taking other peoples money, as oppose to banging out a free game, and calling it a day.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

If the app doesn't work on your device then you need to let the developer known one way or another, and giving one star is one way to do that, while telling othes at the same time. So yes, I think its fair. Especially if you initially had to pay for that app. 

If it allowed to be installed on my device - it should work on it. If it doesn't work - i'd feel fully confident in rating it thus.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Is it bad to rate low a game that won't run on your PC because you don't have the hardware to do it?

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.