DISCUSSION: Is it fair to rate low for an app that doesn't work on your device?

Takaprime

I'd say yeah, it's legit to rate an app at the minimum rating for "I installed it and it doesn't do anything," or very low for "It crashes frequently to the point of being unplayable."  Sure, Android has a lot of variety in its hardware configurations and it's hard to legitimately test every possibility, but some things can be done in broad strokes ("Requires Android version X or above" is a thing which you can put in) and I would say that companies should be rewarded if they put in the time and have an app which DOESN'T crash instantly on a significant portion of devices. Besides, how would they know whether it's truly an issue with their device rather than just really poor programming? Should a completely nonfunctional app get nothing but positive reviews because "It doesn't run" isn't considered a viable complaint?

Being an iPhone user, apps on the app store generally don't experience issues like this.

If I download an app, I expect it to work and be compatible regardless of the circumstances. THis has scared me away from ever buying an android phone. All apps that are downloadable on a device should work on said device.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

An application may be very useful, however they are not always fine tuned to cooperate with every device on the market. Application creators should and do mention that their application may not work with all devices, however if they say that it does work with your device, and it doesn't, then that justifies a bad review.

If an application is not supported on your device, DO NOT review it; you may lead someone to think that it is a bad application in general, someone who could actually benefit from it.