Taking 10 pound laptop to college?

farhanorakzai

So I have an msi gt80 titan and am starting University in a month. I have 4 classes a day, 2 days of the week. The commute to University is 45 minutes to an hour. Is that too much to carry around all day or should I return it and get something else?

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

I think you should be fine but it really depends on you. If it feels heavy you can always exchange it or just not carry it around.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

So I have an msi gt80 titan and am starting University in a month. I have 4 classes a day, 2 days of the week. The commute to University is 45 minutes to an hour. Is that too much to carry around all day or should I return it and get something else?

It really depends. 10 pounds shouldn't be that bad. You won't find anything better than that that's going to be less weight. The only decent and light gaming computer is the Razer Blade.

10 pounds is nothing if you are used to highschool text books.

yeah, but wait till you have to carry around 10 pounds AND college textbooks

@farhanorakzai just make sure you invest in a premium backpack. The Razer one linus uses now looks to be a good choice

I have a fat toshiba laptop that I am going to be using for the next five years. If desk space is no issue, and you don't feel pain from carrying it around all day, it is fine. My main complaint is the battery life (I need a power outlet everywhere I go), as well as noise (turning fan on and off while doing simple things like word). I hate to disturb others, putting negative attention to myself. At my old school, we had the smallest desks ever, and we were sitting two students per table, leaving us no desk space. I ended up having to use a tablet instead, which was horrible since it lagged at using Word - weaksauce.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Personally I would go with the Razer blade 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

yeah, but wait till you have to carry around 10 pounds AND college textbooks

@farhanorakzai just make sure you invest in a premium backpack. The Razer one linus uses now looks to be a good choice

I was using the one that msi included with the laptop. Is that not a good one?

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

honestly I'd be a bit more concerned about the size of the thing, at 18" it will take up a lot of desk and backpack space.

I'd rather have a 15lb 12in computer before a 3lb 18in computer any day.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I was using the one that msi included with the laptop. Is that not a good one?

not a clue didn't even know they shipped it with a bag

True, but Americans are used to it honestly.  I've carried 4*7 pounds books, 3 binders, and an Alienware Aurora mALX 19 inch laptop on my back from 2008-2010 through college.  I didn't notice the weight difference.  Then again I do lift.  Plus, I used to carry a 7 string guitar with me to highschool my custom washburn.  So, maybe I didn't notice cuz of that.  Norwegians am I right?

I did about the same for my first 2 years of college. I had a 30m walk though, and had 15m breaks in between classes. I quickly downsized, not because I couldn't handle it, simply because dealing with this hulking backpack that was loaded to the brim was just a pain.

not a clue didn't even know they shipped it with a bag

I did about the same for my first 2 years of college. I had a 30m walk though, and had 15m breaks in between classes. I quickly downsized, not because I couldn't handle it, simply because dealing with this hulking backpack that was loaded to the brim was just a pain.

Do I dare even show the backpack that came with the 2006 thing?  You'll laugh at how huge this backpack is....

It's the msi hermes. How good is that compared to other backpacks? Should I get a new one?

that is for you to determine, its a similar weight to my m18x and I 100% would not want to carry it around every day

but you might not be bothered by it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

that is for you to determine, its a similar weight to my m18x and I 100% would not want to carry it around every day

but you might not be bothered by it

I carried around 2 textbooks in my backpack most of high school. Would that be similar weight?

I carried around 2 textbooks in my backpack most of high school. Would that be similar weight?

as far as backpacks go, you will need to decide what YOU think is adequate

Linus really only gives backpack reviews after switching and using them for at least a week. It's the only true way to get a good feel for the bag.

I'm assuming you'd be using the mechanical keyboard. College isn't just you; college is about everyone. Personally, I would despise you if you came to class and started using a mechanical keyboard..

You should return it and get something else, but not because of the weight Kappa

*shameless P377SM-A plug*

*shameless*

*Kappa*

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I'm assuming you'd be using the mechanical keyboard. College isn't just you; college is about everyone. Personally, I would despise you if you came to class and started using a mechanical keyboard..

it has cherry mx brown switches though

Try it out, but seriously I had a gaming laptop for university, it got really annoying. It was heavy, battery life was almost non-existant, if you use it in lectures youll need a powerpoint.

I would HIGHLY reccommend getting some little atom processor netbook or something for uni!

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

This is why I got a mobile workstation instead of a gaming laptop for the lighter weight and the better battery life.  20 minutes off battery...fuck that now I got hours of use before plugging it in.

I think you're a few years off... even my SLI notebook gets 2+ hours of battery for typing/web use. Anything more midrange or with a MUX switch can easily get ~4 hours despite being gaming tier. No need to get a "workstation" type.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

This is why I got a mobile workstation instead of a gaming laptop for the lighter weight and the better battery life.  20 minutes off battery...fuck that now I got hours of use before plugging it in.

"hours"

so like 2 hours?

Trust me, you wont want to be carrying around that huge msi brick everywhere. I had a Clevo Laptop so it was even on slightly smaller side of a gaming laptop, and it still was pretty heavy.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

I'm not OP, but had a POS Alienware from 2006-2010.  It was heavy, had an SLI, and had shit battery life.  My mobile workstation has between 2-4 hours depending on settings and what I'm doing.

I just dont think its necessary. All you need your laptop at uni for is notes and web browsing ect. If you are in a class which requires PC's then they will have PC's in the class room. The lighter and longer the battery the better its suited for a long day at uni.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
Case:

I'd get a small ultra portable if you're lugging it back and forth all the time. Then again that's just me and I value my back.

Unless the beast laptop is your only PC, and you use it to game as well. In that case I guess just see if you can get a quality pack and hope for the best.

They actually let you take 8 courses a semester?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Personally I would go with the Razer blade 

Why? The razor blade is ridiculously over priced at 2k for the base model. It's be so much cheaper to get a dell XPS 13 for like $900 and then a casual gaming PC, since you won't do much gaming in college. 

PC Specs: CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by Corsair H100i) GPU: 780ti (RIP) Mobo: Asus Z87-A Storage: 2x Samsung 850 pro (128GB) seagate SSHD (2TB) PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Peripherals Keyboard: CM storm cherry blues Mouse: Razer deathadder 

Why? The razor blade is ridiculously over priced at 2k for the base model. It's be so much cheaper to get a dell XPS 13 for like $900 and then a casual gaming PC, since you won't do much gaming in college. 

Gt80 cost $3,099 ,I am guessing money shouldn't be a issue but yes the XPS 13 is a better value definitely 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M ||