Apple Watch - My First Impressions

I think the sex humor is a bit to far in this video...In my opinion.....I mean you are married man almost sounds like you're talking about your wife

is that luke grunting? 

(is he really that boring? )

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

What's with the baked in ads in the video? Looks to me like you guys uploaded the YT version by mistake

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Seems to be some kind of colour space issue. We are working with Vessel on it.

Now, I may be basing this off of older LTT videos, but my impression was that you bitch slapped luke and used the hand print for white balance 

@LinusTech

After seeing the most recent video

Find Marques Brownlee

Bow before him

Kiss his boot.

Ask him for color correction tips.

Sorry.

(It even looks bad on my really old TN panel,l and a video about a monitor should have good color editing. )

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

@nicklmg why are the contrasts of the vessel video whitewashed ? it's perfectly fine on youtube, but on vessel vidoes it's just awful to watch.

My experience tends to be the opposite, Youtube looks washed out compared to Vessel. Not really an apples to apples comparison though since I compared 2 different videos, but Vessel tends to look better for me. 

059db426f3.jpg

My experience tends to be the opposite, Youtube looks washed out compared to Vessel. Not really an apples to apples comparison though since I compared 2 different videos, but Vessel tends to look better for me. 

what browser are you using, it still is washed out for me in chrome 43.0.2357.134 m

EDIT :  both images below are vessel vidoes, one is my screencap of vessel of luke and the 2nd is vessel screencap you proved me from your PC. i haven't compared them with youtube as it's not on youtube yet

f62d8039e96513b1db6162a21fb45659.gif

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

what browser are you using, it still is washed out for me in chrome 43.0.2357.134 m

he's comparing 2 different shots in different vids. LTT's color correction is not that consistent

muh specs 

All parts black

he's comparing 2 different shots in different vids. LTT's color correction is not that consistent

i'm comparing his screencap of the same video with mine, it's still washed out,ignore him comparing 2 videos, i am comparing the luck'e screen cap he sent from his system, taken against my screencap of the same lukes video, and it's still washed out for me in my PC.

Edit : those are both vessel video's i'm not comparing them against youtube. his vessel screencap seems to be better than mine which is washed out.

Edit 2: also the video is not out on youtube yet, so ofcourse i'm comparing the same videos from vessel. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

i'm comparing his screencap of the same video with mine, it's still washed out,ignore him comparing 2 videos, i am comparing the luck'e screen cap he sent from his system, taken against my screencap of the same lukes video, and it's still washed out for me in my PC.

Edit : those are both vessel video's i'm not comparing them against youtube. his vessel screencap seems to be better than mine which is washed out.

Edit 2: also the video is not out on youtube yet, so ofcourse i'm comparing the same videos from vessel. 

I was referring to kurahk7 comparing the keyboard review to the phone review 

muh specs 

All parts black

I was referring to kurahk7 comparing the keyboard review to the phone review 

oh, you quoted me, so i could only assume you were referring to me  :P nvm then. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

oh, you quoted me, so i could only assume you were referring to me  :P nvm then. 

yah, referring to you referring to him  :D

muh specs 

All parts black

what browser are you using, it still is washed out for me in chrome 43.0.2357.134 m

EDIT : both images below are vessel vidoes, one is my screencap of vessel of luke and the 2nd is vessel screencap you proved me from your PC. i haven't compared them with youtube as it's not on youtube yet

I'm using latest version of chrome as well.

I'm using latest version of chrome as well.

well,you can see the difference between your vessel and mine above , if you look at the gif created below, it seems its not only me.

This was epic:

a68bdf0bb1658c5edb7c8f385e1f918e.gif

between yours and mine

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

I'm pretty surprised with the video - I was expecting a much harsher video from what I heard on the WAN show.

I thought I'd also give some of my impresions too, just for the hell of it. I bought a 42mm Stainless Steel watch with the Milanese loop - the big brother to the one Linus got.

I actually agree with some of Linus' points - particularly the turn-off time for the screen. My watch uses about 50% every 24 hours, from leaving work at 3pm on Friday, I hit 2% - and therefore Power Reserve - at about 6pm Sunday. Given that I am getting (what I think is) decent battery life, it would be nice to be able to spend some of that battery life on a longer time before turning off the screen.

That kind of ties in to Linus' complaint about notifications not turning on the screen. I like this personally, but it would be good to see the option to automatically turn on the screen.

There are a couple of things that can be done that Linus complained about - you can use Siri without touching the buttons, raise your wrist so the screen will turn on, then say "Hey Siri" It works for me in the car. It's also possible to automatically have it open to music - just turn on "open to last app" and as long as you used music last, it will open to music.

Those fixes are kind of klunky though, and this is the main thing that I agree with Linus - the watch is a bit before it's time. The OS is usable, but not perfect. There are sacrifices made for battery life, which seems to be the next big hurdle in computing. Once we have better batteries, I can see devices like this being viable as mainstream devices.

Do I regret buying the watch at all? No. The watch does everything that I need from it, it acts as a remote for my music, and tracks my fitness (I use the metrics as a yardstick for the amount of activity I do relative to other days, not to hit a certain numerical target). I've found that it's encouraged me to be more active, think about my health more, and be more organised with siri on my wrist.

While I don't regret it at all, and I think it's having a positive influence on me, I also don't think that it's a product for everyone. I'm going to wait until the 3rd or 4th generation to think about replacing my watch, and I think that's likely the best idea for everyone else too.

TL;DR:

I like mine, but it's not for everyone.

TL;DR:

I like mine, but it's not for everyone.

Well the fact you own one makes it so that your subconsciousness is wired to justify it. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

You guys should not be payed by Vessel for this video because of the integrated ads in it.

It was a mistake, this version should have gone on youtube but still...

I`m paying for the service because of the no ads policy. If I go to the store and I pay for something and I do not receive that item for my money it`s not fair. This is not acceptable in a commercial situation it should not be accepted in this particular case either.I paid for this service I want to receive what I paid for.

Didn't this video come out a while ago? I remember watching this vid (or something similar) a week or 2 ago, yet I can't seem to find it on Vessel.

Didn't this video come out a while ago? I remember watching this vid (or something similar) a week or 2 ago, yet I can't seem to find it on Vessel.

i think you mistook it for the iMac review.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

i think you mistook it for the iMac review.

Nope, I distinctly remember seeing a review of the iWatch that was much more of a rant about the device in the last month. The vid was much more scathing than this one and basically dismissed the thing as a piece of junk that nobody should buy. Idk if he took it down and made a review that was much less rant-ish (for example, in the original he went on for a decent amount of time about how crap at controlling a music app the thing was while in this vid it was a quick mention)

Nope, I distinctly remember seeing a review of the iWatch that was much more of a rant about the device in the last month. The vid was much more scathing than this one and basically dismissed the thing as a piece of junk that nobody should buy. Idk if he took it down and made a review that was much less rant-ish (for example, in the original he went on for a decent amount of time about how crap at controlling a music app the thing was while in this vid it was a quick mention)

the last time linus ranted was i switched to -iSwitched to Mac videos and the recent macbook 12. i've not missed any videos since years now, so either dejavu or you mistook it for another wearable linus ranted about. 

there are all the videos of wearables he made

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8mG-RkN2uTw-LzOf_qwtEn36vDQnZIrg

OR

you just saw Linus rambling in the WAN show 2 weeks ago. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

You guys should not be payed by Vessel for this video because of the integrated ads in it.

I`m paying for the service because of the no ads policy. If I go to the store and I pay for something and I do not receive that item for my money it`s not fair. This is not acceptable in a commercial situation it should not be accepted in this particular case either.I paid for this service I want to receive what I paid for.

Vessel has ads (haven't you seen water.org, product RED, code,etc). So you don't have to go on a rant on how you're paying money and BS.

You're  for early access to LMG content. 

Anyways, it was just a small mistake from their part and you should learn to let it slide. 

Wow. Made an account to whine about a mistake. Really making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Well the fact you own one makes it so that your subconsciousness is wired to justify it.

I own a chromecast and I can't justify paying more than $5 for it.

Just a quick heads up, the Apple Watch actually has 8 GB storage, not 4 GB.

Haha yeah I caught that today. I don't know where that came from. It's 8GB total, 2GB usable for music.. I really don't know how I ended up splitting the difference in my script!

It's nowhere in Vessel's terms of service that the content can't have baked in ads. We just don't put them in because we feel like that's a better experience for the paying customer. 

We (I) forgot on this one.

Mistakes happen.