AMD financial report Q2

marldorthegreat

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amd-reports-2015-second-quarter-results-2015-07-16

revenuse of 980 million usd, down 35% from last year. 

operating loss of 137 million usd

A total debt of 2.27 billion usd

Computing and Graphics segment revenue decreased 29 percent
sequentially and 54 percent from Q2 2014. The sequential decrease was
primarily due to decreased sales to OEMs of client notebook processors
and the annual decrease was driven by decreased sales across client
and graphics product lines.
-- Operating loss was $147 million, compared with an operating loss
of $75 million in Q1 2015 and an operating loss of $6 million in
Q2 2014. The sequential decrease was primarily driven by lower
notebook processor sales. The year-over-year decrease was
primarily driven by lower sales partially offset by lower
operating expenses.
-- Client average selling price (ASP) increased sequentially and
year-over-year primarily driven by product mix.
-- GPU ASP increased sequentially and year-over-year primarily due to
higher channel and desktop GPU ASPs.
-- Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom segment revenue increased 13
percent sequentially, primarily driven by higher sales of semi-custom
SoCs. The year-over-year decrease of 8 percent was primarily driven by
decreased server sales and lower non-recurring engineering (NRE)
revenue.
-- Operating income was $27 million compared with $45 million in Q1
2015 and $97 million in Q2 2014. The sequential decrease was
primarily driven by the technology node transition charge of $33
million. The year-over-year decrease was primarily driven by lower
revenue and the technology node transition charge.
-- All Other category operating loss was $17 million compared with
operating losses of $107 million in Q1 2015 and $28 million in Q2
2014. The sequential improvement was primarily due to charges in Q1
2015 associated with exiting the dense server systems business. The
year-over-year change was primarily due to lower stock-based
compensation expense and the absence of amortization of acquired
intangible assets.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

So there debt is larger than Greece's? :(

It kinda makes me want to build a full AMD system just to help a bit.

I really hope Zen and the next step on Fiji next year pays off.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Ouch...

O god :(

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

So there debt is larger than Greece's? :(

It kinda makes me want to build a full AMD system just to help a bit.

I really hope Zen and the next step on Fiji next year pays off.

No greeces debt is over 300 billion euros. And AMDs troubles are more than poor sales. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

While this is sad for AMD, it does make me more interested in seeing what happens to the company over the next few months and years. Something will have to change, and soon.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

No greeces debt is over 300 billion euros. And AMDs troubles are more than poor sales. 

Looks like ZEN and HBM will be AMDs final stand, I hope they break even.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Looks like ZEN and HBM will be AMDs final stand, I hope they break even.

The Rx 400 series too.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The Rx 400 series too.

But that should not be the case the r9 200 series should have delivered, it didnt. The 300 series has not delivered. AMD is failing because it is simply not making profits on sales. I bet they are loosing money on every 290x sale just to increase market share. 

But that should not be the case the r9 200 series should have delivered, it didnt. The 300 series has not delivered. AMD is failing because it is simply not making profits on sales. I bet they are loosing money on every 290x sale just to increase market share. 

The 300 series is a 200 series refresh, and we'll have to wait to see the long-term sales and revenues/profits generated from it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

And I just got an AMD gpu...

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Good time to buy stocks when they are super cheap(Closed at 1.87 today) in the hopes that they spike around Zen time.  Chances are they will drop a lot more tomorrow, so I would hold off

Good time to buy stocks when they are super cheap(Closed at 1.87 today) in the hopes that they  spike around Zen time.  Chances are they will drop a lot more tomorrow

Get a feel in their earnings call before you jump on AMD stock. If they're being floury and overly gung-ho, don't buy. If they're pessimistic, don't buy. If they're realtively realistic but positive, it might be a good idea to buy. You can see the earnings call webcast in half an hour here. http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/i4phusso/lan/en

So zen will be amds last stand.... If they make it it's going to suck only having Intel until that one Chinese chip actually gets developed then it's who knows what will happen

titanic-sinking_756.gif

Keep it up AMD. Keep going in 8000 directions at once instead of focusing on one thing and making money.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Keep it up AMD. Keep going in 8000 directions at once instead of focusing on one thing and making money.

AMD's not even going in more than 5-6 directions. Intel on the other hand is all over the place and making money hand over fist.

AMD's not even going in more than 5-6 directions. Intel on the other hand is all over the place and making money hand over fist.

Then I've no idea what their problem is. I still think they need to drop either CPU's or GPU's, and focus on the one that they don't drop.

Then I've no idea what their problem is. I still think they need to drop either CPU's or GPU's, and focus on the one that they don't drop.

or maybe split the company, or sell half.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

or maybe split the company, or sell half.

They definitely need to do something. Drop something like HSA which is apparently going nowhere as far as I can tell.

Then they should probably drop CPUs unless they have a revolutionary scale-up design that can go toe to toe with Oracle's Sparc systems and IBM's Power 8 in the areas of HPC they still readily control. If they gave their GPU division to Intel for a huge cash injection on the condition they get unfettered access to the GPU technology for use in their APUs going forward, that may also work.

Then they should probably drop CPUs unless they have a revolutionary scale-up design that can go toe to toe with Oracle's Sparc systems and IBM's Power 8 in the areas of HPC they still readily control. If they gave their GPU division to Intel for a huge cash injection on the condition they get unfettered access to the GPU technology for use in their APUs going forward, that may also work.

Although not by much, it would also help if AMD did not resort to such a sleazy marketing tactic.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Damn AMD, but I do think the new 300 series is gonna bump them quite a bit.

I am buying a R9 390 :D

I can't see much point in why it would, since their 300 series is just a bunch of refreshed 200 series cards. :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I just don't see the APU's as a worthwhile project. Not until they can match the performance of current day CPU+GPU systems. Which in my experience, they don't even come close to.

Just a side note: I don't care about form factors. To me, performance is more important than how small the PC is.