Nvidia VS AMD's Current Lineup Evaluation

Bob Jim

Indeed you do, unless you got it before the 980Ti/Fury X came out, This is a CURRENT Reccomendation, then, it was the best card above the GTX 980, that didn't get you to spend $1000 on a Titan X.

i bought it early march for 575 USD.... well below any 980Ti or FuryX

OP, you're very wrong. It should be:

GTX 750 Ti vs R7 360 - Budget

GTX 960 vs R9 380 - Mid Range/Mainstream

GTX 970 vs R9 390X - Mid-High Performance

GTX 980 vs R9 Fury - High Performance

GTX 980 Ti vs R9 Fury X - Very High Performance

GTX Titan X vs R9 Fury X - Bragging Rights

The 295X2 is pretty much irrevlevant as of now. The 980 Ti and Titan X perform hand in hand, and the Fury X is supposed to compete with these cards. The 390X is more competitive with the GTX 970 and the GTX 980 is supossed to be the competition for the regular R9 Fury. Also, the 750 is basically irrelevant, as most generally go with the 750 Ti or 260X (which is basically the R9 360). I feel like you're comparing the wrong cards. I could be wrong about one or two of these, though.

The 295X2 is pretty much irrevlevant as of now. The 980 Ti and Titan X perform hand in hand, and the Fury X is supposed to compete with these cards. The 390X is more competitive with the GTX 970 and the GTX 980 is supossed to be the competition for the regular R9 Fury. Also, the 750 is basically irrelevant, as most generally go with the 750 Ti or 260X (which is basically the R9 360). I feel like you're comparing the wrong cards. I could be wrong about one or two of these, though.

Im sorry, but you are in the wrong here.

360 = 260 = slightly under 750

370 = 265 = slightly above 750ti (costs the same)

R9 390 is 5-10% above GTX 970 - SAME PRICE

R9 390X is 40-50 USD cheaper then GTX980 with 90% of the performance, at higher resolutions it catches up

R9 Fury (non X) is 50ish USD more expensive then GTX 980, but beats it by about 15%

980Ti vs Fury X - same price

TitanX (1000 USD) vs 295x2 (1500 USD launch price) is THE BEST you can get on the market.

The 295x2 is very relevant still, because you can STILL BUY ONE, for like 650-750 USD. Yet it outperforms the TitanX by a wide margin in almost every test imaginable.

So please, go read a proper review of all of these GPUs then come back. As for your "budget and mid range" classification. That is your subjective opinion of card positioning in relation to price.

I am comparing cards of the same price points. Also the first budget option was a bit silly, but I wanted to showcase their whole lineup. The r7 360 vs 750ti makes no sense; the 360 is cheaper and worse. The 390X is more expensive, and you guessed it, better than the 970. 980 is cheaper, and you guessed it, worse than the fury. Fury X is not bragging rights, it is nothing special; not amazingly powerful, not ridiculously expensive.

I am comparing cards of the same price points. Also the first budget option was a bit silly, but I wanted to showcase their whole lineup. The r7 360 vs 750ti makes no sense; the 360 is cheaper and worse. The 390X is more expensive, and you guessed it, better than the 970. 980 is cheaper, and you guessed it, worse than the fury. Fury X is not bragging rights, it is nothing special; not amazingly powerful, not ridiculously expensive.

I see. Thank you for the correction. I was comparing direct performance (although not very well as @Prysin pointed out)

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't agree regarding the GTX 960 vs R9 380. Whenever I've checked on PCPartPicker, the GTX 960 usually costs ~$30 less than the R9 380. Because we're in the $200ish range, that's more than 10% price difference when the performance (at 1080P, at least) is within about 10% of each other. I think they both have very similar value, and it's once again just a case of how much you're willing to spend. FPS per dollar is very similar between the two cards, so I wouldn't say that either one is a better buy than the other.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Just an aesthetic complaint - Nvidia text is not green on 400$ range.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

Just an aesthetic complaint - Nvidia text is not green on 400$ range.

Fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Then there's dx12 which makes perf so much different.

i5 4590 | Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | MSi H97 Gaming 3 | 8GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz | 1TB WD Blue | ADATA SP900 128GB | Seasonic M12II 620W | NZXT. S340 (Black & Red) |

Then there's dx12 which makes perf so much different.

I am planning to completely redo this thread, and make an Intel vs AMD one (focusing on G3258/i3 and x4 860K/Fx 6300).

Good to see the 970 placed in high tier because people like to push it down to lower tier of cards. With its overclocking potential for the most part its a great card!

A correction to make is you said 380 when you were talking about double the vram.

It's also interesting to look at Jayztwocents' 390 Nitro video where the 390 and 970 seem to be performing extremely similarly even up to 4K!

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

Good to see the 970 placed in high tier because people like to push it down to lower tier of cards. With its overclocking potential for the most part its a great card!

A correction to make is you said 380 when you were talking about double the vram.

It's also interesting to look at Jayztwocents' 390 Nitro video where the 390 and 970 seem to be performing extremely similarly even up to 4K!

The R9 390's 8GB of VRAM is pretty much a gimmick for now. Unless you are doing an eyefinity racing setup with triple monitors and two R9 390Xs in Xfire, 8GB of RAM is unneeded. It might start to be useful in more demanding games at 4K Ultra, but by then the R9 390/X will be obsolete.

Just saying the fury doesn't beat the 980 by much at all and overclocked almost all 980s obliterate their fury counterparts.

Either way though I do appreciate the attempt made here to dispassionately compare all different segments.

Also the 950 should slot between your second and third tiers in both price and performance.

Btw 390(x) (since imho buying the x version literally makes no sense.) is unequivocally better than the 970 if you can keep it cool. IFF.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

The R9 390's 8GB of VRAM is pretty much a gimmick for now. Unless you are doing an eyefinity racing setup with triple monitors and two R9 390Xs in Xfire, 8GB of RAM is unneeded. It might start to be useful in more demanding games at 4K Ultra, but by then the R9 390/X will be obsolete.

Yeah I never said you were gonna be able to reach that 8gb buffer..I was just mentioning a typo. No need to restate the obvious lol. I just wanted to point out that performance above 1080p according to this benchmark is very similar!

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

-snip-

Awesome. Can you add € prices for stupid Europeans like me, please :D

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

"If you are willing to spend quite a lot of money, the R9 FUry offers amazing value for money; it is only a little bit more expensive than the GTX 980, while offering much better performance; it is right on the heels of the Fury X, which costs quite a lot more. For anyone who has a lot to spend on a GPU, but cannot wuite stretch their budget to a GTX 980Ti/Fury X, this is an amazing alternative that offers very good performance for your money."

Typo: first line R9 Fury instead of FUry

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

Awesome. Can you add € prices for stupid Europeans like me, please :D

I considered that, alongside CAD and AUD, but I stuck with what is the majority of the user base, USD, and GBP, my country :P. Problem with Euros is something that costs €250 in one country might cost €200 or €300 in another country.

"If you are willing to spend quite a lot of money, the R9 FUry offers amazing value for money; it is only a little bit more expensive than the GTX 980, while offering much better performance; it is right on the heels of the Fury X, which costs quite a lot more. For anyone who has a lot to spend on a GPU, but cannot wuite stretch their budget to a GTX 980Ti/Fury X, this is an amazing alternative that offers very good performance for your money."

Typo: first line R9 Fury instead of FUry

LTT Forum users are amazing at spotting typos... Lol. Fixed, the double caps thing comes from me using shift and typing too fast :P

LTT Forum users are amazing at spotting typos... Lol. Fixed, the double caps thing comes from me using shift and typing too fast :P

Are we? ;-)

3.Use

I considered that, alongside CAD and AUD, but I stuck with what is the majority of the user base, USD, and GBP, my country :P. Problem with Euros is something that costs €250 in one country might cost €200 or €300 in another country.

Would you include it if I researched it for you and you just ahd to plug(is that the correct term?) it in.

3.Use

Would you include it if I researched it for you and you just ahd to plug(is that the correct term?) it in.

For the euros, yes please! I will stop being lazy and handle the CAD and AUD myself tomorrow (It is 9PM and I woke up at 5AM because of stupid rain on window). If you could do that, that would be amazing! This thread will be completely rewritten, but prices are still useful to know.

i am going from your most high-end to your most-low-end

Titan X: 1010€ - 1100€

R9 295 X2: 670€ - 785€ (very low stock. Sapphire still has some for the basic price but most of them are sold at ridiculous levels like 1500€)

R9 Fury X: 630€ - 750€

GTX 980 Ti: 675€ - 850€(including the most expensive EVGA HYBRID)

R9 Fury: 550€ - 710€ (sry for the high price ranges. It just is what it is here)

R9 390X: 415€ - 450€

GTX 980: 480€ - 550€ (I am also always looking at the prices of the custom PCB stuff if that is okay with you)

R9 390: 310€ - 375€

GTX 970: 310€ - 375€

GTX 960 2G: 185€ - 245€(To include the most expensive EVGA superSc)( ok it should be 260€ but i set I down to 245€ again since you will be getting a 4G if you can for that price which is definitely possible)

GTX 960 4G: 245€ - 280€

R9 380: 180€ - 230€

R7 370: 145€ - 180€

GTX 750 Ti: 100€ - 135€( some models need a 6xpin. You might wanna edit that ;-) )

R7 360: 110€ - 120€

GTX 750: 100€ - 110€

(Let's not talk jibber-jabber. These are German prices and may vary as you stated in the intro so no guarantee for anything. I can just give you might word that these values are exactly as I found them)

3.Use

I dunno... I owned a 295x2 and it was a great card. It's one hell of a beast that needs constant attention (microstuttering is a pain in the ass) especially on games that needed SLI/CF configuration tweaked. I just got tired of it. I didn't mind the heat but it definitely gets up to 600W at peak. I actually had to ghetto rig my case running push-pull with one fan outside the case lol. Fun times.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

For the euros, yes please! I will stop being lazy and handle the CAD and AUD myself tomorrow (It is 9PM and I woke up at 5AM because of stupid rain on window). If you could do that, that would be amazing! This thread will be completely rewritten, but prices are still useful to know.

If you say you're rewriting the whole thing, what do yo exactly me?-Structure? content?

I do not want to hijack your project or something I just have some constructive criticism as of right now that I'd like to give you.

1.is more like a question: is they availability of the 295 x2 still good in NA because it seems to be fairly poor over here! Therefore it pretty much falls under your "out of stock" category but it is still up to you.

2. If you consider rewriting everything I would like to suggest different since you seem unhappy with what you have right now. Firstly the nvidia vs amd (always roughly based on price range is good). I' d like to suggest and evaluation in a different way. You could do price/ performance for every lineup. And you could compare them in a way that you say: GPU1 is 10% faster (on average based on 10 benchmarks mentioned above) than GPU2 but GPU2 is 20% cheaper therefore it is a better option. I don't yet know myself how you would exactly execute that but if you have further questions just quote me and we can talk about it.

These are SUGESTIONS. I by no means want to tone down the massive amount of data you sorted through and catalyst here. Your guide already is super duper awesome and I am really grateful that your took your time to create it.

And again I totally lost track of what I was going to end with. Well, just take it as what it is right now. We can have a nice tomorrow when we both are well rested ;-)

3.Use