Nvidia VS AMD's Current Lineup Evaluation

Bob Jim

Technically the lower end goes to AMD anyway if you look for second hand, you could find a used 7970 for the price of a new 750 Ti.

And I am pretty sure someone on the forum found a used 780 Ti for ~$180 but you know what? That's pretty much irrelevant here. You can do your own scrapyard wars advice for used GPUs comparison if you want to.

Edit: also put the picture(s) in a spoiler, PLEASE.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Great information you compiled here.

I hope people actually realise AMD is a better purchase ATM at most price points.

Arcturus(log here): Intel Core i7 6700K // MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G(1454/1995) // Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB //  MSI XPower Gaming Titanium Edition // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // WD Black 2TB // Corsair 760T // Corsair RM850i

Great information you compiled here.

I hope people actually realise AMD is a better purchase ATM at most price points.

be careful with those words. Something like that has started wars before. FANBOYS WARS. The worst wars.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

be careful with those words. Something like that has started wars before. FANBOYS WARS. The worst wars.

Well I'm not a fanboy, I bought a high end Nvidia GPU for my latest build. I just acknowledge the fact that AMD is the best purchase for most price points around the mid-range right now. If people want to start fanboy wars over that, it just demeans their own character.

Arcturus(log here): Intel Core i7 6700K // MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G(1454/1995) // Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB //  MSI XPower Gaming Titanium Edition // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // WD Black 2TB // Corsair 760T // Corsair RM850i

Well I'm not a fanboy, I bought a high end Nvidia GPU for my latest build. I just acknowledge the fact that AMD is the best purchase for most price points around the mid-range right now. If people want to start fanboy wars over that, it just demeans their own character.

When did I call you a fanboy?

Leme rephrase: where did I call you a fanboy?

3.Use

When did I call you a fanboy?

Leme rephrase: where did I call you a fanboy?

I never claimed that you called me a fanboy. I apologise if you misunderstood but my intention was only to emphasise the fact that I don't side with any brand beyond reason to any outside viewer.

And I am pretty sure someone on the forum found a used 780 Ti for ~$180 but you know what? That's pretty much irrelevant here. You can do your own scrapyard wars advice for used GPUs comparison if you want to.

Edit: also put the picture(s) in a spoiler, PLEASE.

And it was never mentioned here anyway.

And now with 300 series out, the 200 series are pretty cheap right now. 

And to answer the used things, yes you can can something cheaper that performs better than new but that depends on location and luck. 

Plus this guide would be useless anyway if it wasn't updated lately........

But hey, if you found a cheap GPU that performs well, good for you. 

Any 950 data to be added?

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Any 950 data to be added?

I guess I will add that in when I get to my PC, typing on an iPad is a pain, but then I will start work on redoing it more scientifically, ie getting performance numbers, but turning that into performance/dollar, rather than just, 'this one is better in this price range'. I want to be more specific.

I never claimed that you called me a fanboy. I apologise if you misunderstood but my intention was only to emphasise the fact that I don't side with any brand beyond reason to any outside viewer.

Sry, I thought you thought I called you a fanboy xD. This whole argument just got pointless. Sry for starting it.

3.Use

I guess I will add that in when I get to my PC, typing on an iPad is a pain, but then I will start work on redoing it more scientifically, ie getting performance numbers, but turning that into performance/dollar, rather than just, 'this one is better in this price range'. I want to be more specific.

So you liked my suggestions or did you have that idea before? :D

3.Use

So you liked my suggestions or did you have that idea before? :D

I like your suggestions :P

Nvidia - GTX 970 AMD - R9 390

AMD wins again... SURPRISE! This one is much closer though. The R9 390 beats the GTX 970 by just a few FPS in every game except The WItcher 3, and this gap stays roughly the same when overclocking. The R9 380 has over double the VRAM, at 8GB VS the GTX 970's 3.5GB effective memory (it has 4GB, of which only 3.5GB is fast enough to be useful). This means that the R9 390 is a MUCH better choice if you are using high detail texture packs at 1440p/4K.

you have a typo here: The R9 380 has over double the VRAM

Right now we're where we have been. Amd offers better price to performance at almost every level but nvidia has the best performing flagship gpu (unless you count 4k).

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

• 4 weeks later...

Update with the 950 beating the 370 please. Since we're doing current series cards only.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

The R9 295x2 should be replace with the Powercolor R9 390X2... I dunno if said card is in sale yet, but is has been announced.

In 2 months time, the R9 Fury X2 should launch, which will just take a massive dump on whatever Nvidia has to offer....

The R9 295x2 should be replace with the Powercolor R9 390X2... I dunno if said card is in sale yet, but is has been announced.

In 2 months time, the R9 Fury X2 should launch, which will just take a massive dump on whatever Nvidia has to offer....

Fury X2 hyper train :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

• 1 month later...
This thread took a long time to write, and with new GPU releases it will be updated. I am putting it in my signature as reference, and if any of you would do the same I would be honoured. Please point out any mistakes/areas I missed, and give me feedback on what you thought of the thread. Thanks for reading!

nice and useful guide ;)

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

• 1 month later...

I will add the Fury in if I can find any price online.

missing gtx 950?

but good overview :)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

How come 970 is said to achieve ~100FPS in Battlefield4 on Ultra, if mine maxes it over 144fps?? Do you guys think the benchmark results mentioned in this post could have been affected by the cpu?

How come 970 is said to achieve ~100FPS in Battlefield4 on Ultra, if mine maxes it over 144fps?? Do you guys think the benchmark results mentioned in this post could have been affected by the cpu?

Is yours stock? This was not OC. Also, he used a 5820K, so that shouldn't bottleneck.

missing gtx 950?

but good overview :)

Sorry, I made this a while ago and haven't got around to updating it yet. I will likely make a whole new thread, including stuff on DX12, etc.

Yes, I was maxing out my 144 fps on stock NVIDIA GTX 970 GIGABYTE WINDFORCE 3X (not G1 gaming) at ultra, with about 4xMSAA as far as I remember and PPAA turned on as well. Certainly there were some drops to 120 -130 fps but those were occasional. I will run tests again soon and reply here

Yes, I was maxing out my 144 fps on stock NVIDIA GTX 970 GIGABYTE WINDFORCE 3X (not G1 gaming) at ultra, with about 4xMSAA as far as I remember and PPAA turned on as well. Certainly there were some drops to 120 -130 fps but those were occasional. I will run tests again soon and reply here

What resolution monitor?

Be sure to record it.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I had a 970, I never got anywhere near 144fps on ultra. It was more like high 80s with 4x msaa. This was with a 4790k.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB