STRMfrmXMN's PSU Whitelist (No longer updated)

Just a tip : The Fractal Newton R3 runs a bit hot, but with good airflow it manages to run in silent mode.

I do believe it's in my list :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

As long as it's not impacting actual PSU performance. It should have temperature-based fan curve, and some PSUs run louder then others

As it gets hotter, efficiency drops ;)

Not necessarily. It's more like once efficiency drops it gets hotter.

Hehe, you assume it doesn't get hot at all, hope your dream come through. :P

Even the most efficient cable gets hot and we all know that witless current doesn't exist. ;)

If the most efficient PSU on the market get's deployed somewhere it get's 40 Celsius, the efficiency drops ;) (Ofc a less efficient one will run hotter)

Hehe, you assume it doesn't get hot at all, hope your dream come through. :P

Even the most efficient cable gets hot and we all know that witless current doesn't exist. ;)

If the most efficient PSU on the market get's deployed somewhere it get's 40 Celsius, the efficiency drops ;) (Ofc a less efficient one will run hotter)

When did I assume it doesn't get hot, what are you saying

"Rawr XD"

I've used the realhardtechx articles a lot. I don't generally use jonnyguru because he grades quality partly based on value which is why the Supernova GS is as good by him as a 500B which is entirely the wrong system to have.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I've used the realhardtechx articles a lot. I don't generally use jonnyguru because he grades quality partly based on value which is why the Supernova GS is as good by him as a 500B which is entirely the wrong system to have.

The second list is actually Johnny lucky. What I like about it, is that he lists good info about the PSU down to the OEM of the PSU. Then puts links to reviews of said PSU. Same as the realhardtech. Realhardtech is a lot more thorough though.

Value plays a part in the overall factor to me, but is only part of what I look at though. Depending on how long the PSU has been out the value can change. Which makes it less of a factor in my buying a PSU.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

The second list is actually Johnny lucky. What I like about it, is that he lists good info about the PSU down to the OEM of the PSU. Then puts links to reviews of said PSU. Same as the realhardtech. Realhardtech is a lot more thorough though.

Yerp, sorry I didn't actually check the "jonnyguru" link xD

Hopefully you can recommend good PSUs based on those lists and mine :)

Yerp, sorry I didn't actually check the "jonnyguru" link xD

Hopefully you can recommend good PSUs based on those lists and mine :)

I will definitely use yours too. Good job on the list by the way. I like having more than one reference and this will help.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

I will definitely use yours too. Good job on the list by the way. I like having more than one reference and this will help.

No problem! And thanks for using it :D

@STRMfrmXMN : So I've been reading about the S12II 520 from SeaSonic that suddenly this line come up : Compatible with Haswell ? No. " What's up with that ? I'm very confused ... So has that problem been fix with the Haswell Refresh ? ( LGA 1150 , instead of LGA 1155 like the original Haswell )

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

When did I assume it doesn't get hot, what are you saying

Sorry, read the quote wrong. My bad.

@STRMfrmXMN : So I've been reading about the S12II 520 from SeaSonic that suddenly this line come up : Compatible with Haswell ? No. " What's up with that ? I'm very confused ... So has that problem been fix with the Haswell Refresh ? ( LGA 1150 , instead of LGA 1155 like the original Haswell )

The original haswell chips were LGA 1150 aswell, 1155 was Ivy bridge.

There was a problem with older PSUs not able to give the nessesary power with haswell CPUs that issue has been long fixed.

Probably not. It means it has too much power on the minor rails to sleep properly usually if it's not Haswell compatible. Haswell Refresh just fixed some iffy overclocking because the chips would get too hot.

Also keep in mind that the M series had multiple revisions and I imagine the same goes for the S. It makes it hard to track which is which cuz some of the older Seasonic Ms had issues as did the Ss. I would generally recommend them but if one series isn't Haswell compatible then don't risk buying one as they're often grouped into the same sort of Amazon page for example. They didn't change the names which is why there's a 50% chance that you'll get one of the iffy ones if you do get an M or S series.

There was a problem with older PSUs not able to give the nessesary power with haswell CPUs that issue has been long fixed.

Probably not. It means it has too much power on the minor rails to sleep properly usually if it's not Haswell compatible. Haswell Refresh just fixed some iffy overclocking because the chips would get too hot.

Actually, "Haswell Compatible" means that it supports C6/C7 sleep states, which requires that it be a DC-DC minor rail regulation power supply, rather then a group-regulated one. All S12II/M12II are group-regulated, therefore none of them are fully "Haswell compatible". Of course it will still work, it will just use more power in sleep mode compared to a PSU with DC-DC regulation on the minor rails (3.3V and 5V). The difference isn't really that noticeable though, it's practically irrelevant when buying a desktop PSU. Only in laptops and tablets do Haswell's new sleep states really make a difference.

"Rawr XD"

Actually, "Haswell Compatible" means that it supports C6/C7 sleep states, which requires that it be a DC-DC minor rail regulation power supply, rather then a group-regulated one. All S12II/M12II are group-regulated, therefore none of them are fully "Haswell compatible". Of course it will still work, it will just use more power in sleep mode compared to a PSU with DC-DC regulation on the minor rails (3.3V and 5V). The difference isn't really that noticeable though, it's practically irrelevant when buying a desktop PSU. Only in laptops and tablets do Haswell's new sleep states really make a difference.

Yay I was mostly correct xD

Psst you should do a guide as to what "Haswell compatible" PSUs actually imply.

Psst you should do a guide as to what "Haswell compatible" PSUs actually imply.

That's basically it lol, Haswell compatible = DC-DC regulation

I might make a whole guide on 80+ ratings and what terms like group regulation mean, so maybe Haswell compatibility will be in there as well

"Rawr XD"

My EVGA G2 750 watt has coil whine, just kind of a heads up for you.

askdjfasdf

My EVGA G2 750 watt has coil whine, just kind of a heads up for you.

That's extremely uncommon with them. If you just bought it then send it back and buy another.

That's extremely uncommon with them. If you just bought it then send it back and buy another.

had it awhile now its not a terrible whine just a bit ive talked to evga about it and they said it does happen if it ever annoys the piss outta me ill just send it in and get a replacement.

askdjfasdf

had it awhile now its not a terrible whine just a bit ive talked to evga about it and they said it does happen if it ever annoys the piss outta me ill just send it in and get a replacement.

They won't RMA your PSU if it's coil whine. It's not technically a defect.

They won't RMA your PSU if it's coil whine. It's not technically a defect.

think they mentioned to me they would if it was bad enough. dont quote me on that btw.

askdjfasdf