Ubisoft Explains All The Terrible Reasons Why Digital Games Are So Expensive.

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
“Digital is more reactive than what we put in stores, but at the same time, it doesn’t react as fast on consoles than it does on PC, What we can say is that when games are older than one year, digital is a lot more dynamic on console because there are less units in stores. It’s a new business, a new trend, and we think all this will get more in line with time, but for sure, at the moment you see all sorts of prices depending on who is doing a promotion for that specific week. If you look at the PC [post-release discount] trend, I think you will see that on consoles, but you will have to wait a little bit of time for that to happen with the same speed” - Guillemot  Ceo

Ubisoft CFO Alain Martinez added, 

"On digital we will not sell [a game] for a lower price compared to physical. After a few weeks or few months things can change, and as Yves has been saying, sometime you might have a promotion on Amazon [that is] not on GameStop, but we can also react on the digital side. We are actually more aggressive on the PC side where digital is very, very strong. We tend to be more conservative on the digital side for more console and more flexible on PC."

Guillemot also pointed to one other factor that needs to be taken into account, which is how many copies of a particular game are left on store shelves:
"Also, one thing to consider is related to stocks; if we have stock in stores, we tend to make sure we decrease the quantity of units in stores before going digital with lower prices."

Thoughts -  

Ubisoft is hardly the only company with games this is true of, we know Nintendo deliberately sells digital games for the same price as physical ones in order to avoid lowering the value consumers place on its games. Even so, We've seen GameStop has voiced concerns about digital games getting too cheap, although consumers at least in the US have been shown to still prefer physical games to digital ones.

If anything, the constant argument is that games should actually be more expensive, as despite inflation, prices have remained relatively constant for a decade. But start talking about $70 USD games and the firestorm will make all other gaming controversies look trivial in comparison.

no-ubi-on-steam.jpg

post-21562-0-88416100-1436561137.jpg

Sources : http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/console-desktop-pc/matthew-wilson/ubisoft-explains-why-digital-games-are-more-expensive-on-console/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisoft-explains-why-digital-games-stay-more-expen/1100-6428760/

post-21562-0-88416100-1436561137.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

If they play the cards right, lower price may result in more sales.....and ya know better games also will help.

That's the thing that sucks about digital, still as expensive :(

Totally true with Nintendo, I would surely buy another Pokemon game digitally if it's like 30 euros.. But it's not..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If they play the cards right, lower price may result in more sales.....and ya know better games also will help.

that is the reason why games costs half as much in russia, there are a lot of gamers there but the salary not that high so by selling at half price valve sells 3 times as much games, so increasing income by 50%

that is the reason why games costs half as much in russia, there are a lot of gamers there but the salary not that high so by selling at half price valve sells 3 times as much games, so increasing income by 50%

lower price more people buy

and might convince some pirates to switch (even tho pirates don't really affect sales ;) )

this is bullshit, they sells games at full price despite having a much bigger cut on digital sales. they take like 60-70% after ms/sony/valve cuts their share, and only like 30-40% after both ms/sony and gamestop or other retailer takes their cut

Those comments were laughably incoherent.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

My TL;DR for the title:

"because we're a bunch of greedy assholes, who believe in making money by fucking the customer, rather than offering a good product and service"

The end.

I thought we agree we shouldn't listen to this Guillemot asshole...well maybe not "agreed" but we should agree not to listen to him regardless.

Or we could agree to not listen to him, anyone who agrees with him, or anyone who states similar opinions as him.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My TL;DR for the title:

"because we're a bunch of greedy assholes, who believe in making money by fucking the customer, rather than offering a good product and service"

The end.

Or we could agree to not listen to him, anyone who agrees with him, or anyone who states similar opinions as him.

Agreed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The problem is: Microtransactions.

You think they would release an $80 game and NOT add $100 worth of cosmetics/buyable boosts?

they might not for the first installment. but the second? third? forth?

no sir, games ARE more expensive than they used to be. the entry price is the same ($60) but back then you would get ALL of the game for $60. now? if you're lucky you get half the game on launch, buggy, and broken as all hell. a few weeks later you have the other half being sold for 50% of the games original price!

fuck off.

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Really? Every once in a while I'll check the Nintendo eShop and most of their big name titles are $40 whereas the physical copies are still $60 in stores. 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

doesnt make a lick of difference to me as I never buy games at full price anymore.  I pre-ordered Arkam Knight only because GMG had the game with the season pass included at almost 50% off the regular price

I still havent played Mass effect 3 and just got it for $6.  If you dont care about being the first to play it, saves you a ton if you just wait. plus, by then, the majority of the bugs would have been ironed out

doesnt make a lick of difference to me as I never buy games at full price anymore. I pre-ordered Arkam Knight only because GMG had the game with the season pass included at almost 50% off the regular price

I still havent played Mass effect 3 and just got it for $6. If you dont care about being the first to play it, saves you a ton if you just wait

You're so right.

That's the best with PC, if you wait you get amazing prices and bundles

I always wanted to play Hitman, I waited a little and this year I got all the Hitman Franchise for less than $5 on Steam, with all the possible DLC's, same with Alan Wake and some other good games for dirt cheap money

If anything, the constant argument is that games should actually be more expensive, as despite inflation, prices have remained relatively constant for a decade. But start talking about $70 USD games and the firestorm will make all other gaming controversies look trivial in comparison.

If we're going to have that argument, we should take other factors into account as well.

Making AAA games has actually become more expensive. But the number of people that buy them has also increased significantly. The distribution costs are also way down. So it's not unfair on the developers and publishers that games have become somewhat cheaper over time. And it's not like the industry is in trouble financially; for the biggest publishers, revenue grew by more than 10% just from 2013 to 2014.

I honestly dont see what's the issue with what he said. Oh but it has Ubisoft in it, let's mindlessly bash it.

Digital games are cheaper then physical games. You have to get off your ass and go to a store to buy a physical copy, that costs time and possibly gas.

It's not like Ubisoft doesnt do sales on digital platforms. Unlike Rockstar who raises the price of it's game in order to fake discount it to the same price.

I guess I'm of the rare minority that only buys digital on consoles for me if a game is still $60 after a year or two on psn I will pretty much never buy it. I would buy a lot more games on my ps4 if they dropped price online before I had a gaming pc.

Wendell from Tek Syndicate made a good point. Ubisoft cannot undercut the retailers, so they have to charge more when selling directly to the customer - to avoid retailers sending copies back to ubisoft that don't sell. In this case, Ubisoft only sells directly through digital sales, so they will need to keep their own prices above retailers until Console gamers completely move over to digital.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

So ubisoft are evil for wanting to make a decent ammount of money from a game. 

No, they're evil for charging more than a decent amount for digitally distributed games, despite the significantly lower costs involved compared to physical distribution.

It's like if you had to pay the same to send an email as you do to send a letter.