Ubisofts Yves Guillemot assures games "All out E3 demos were the real deal"

Master Disaster

You know how trailers of work-in-progress games sometimes look better than the finished game? That’s largely because they’re unfinished, unoptimised, and running on production hardware, so no one’s yet ordered folks to beat the beautiful out of them so they’ll actually run. It’s misleading, and while it does build anticipation it also leads to crushing disappointment. Ubisoft have felt that wave of disappointment crash over their faces, which is why they say they’re stopping doing that.

In an interview with The Guardian, Ubi head honch Yves Guillemot said that the company were overambitious with early displays of Watch Dogs, but their E3 2015 showings were the real deal.

Open-world crime uncle simulator Watch Dogs looked jolly pretty at its debut during E3 2012, but trailers became less attractive – as Nathan noted – leading up to its launch in 2014. it looked a fair bit less attractive than its showing at E3 2012. Folks fiddled with files to restore some of the old look, but it was a bit wonky and not quite the same. (I maintain that Watch Dogs in its original super-cinematic state would’ve been near-unplayable with all that blur and murk, but hooo it sure was a lot prettier.)

Anyway, the point is: Guillemot says they’re now reluctant to repeat that.

“With E3 2015 we said, OK, let’s make sure the games are playable, that they’re running on the target machines. When we show something, we ask the team, make sure it’s playable, make sure gamers can immediately see exactly what it is. That’s what we learned from the Watch Dogs experience – if it can’t be played on the target machine, it can be a risk.”

So they say. I wonder how long they’ll stick with this policy – and how they’ll deal with perhaps needing to tweak games before launch as unexpected problems crop up.

I also wonder if this means they’ll ease up on ‘bullshots’ too, those staged and tweaked screenshots which look far prettier and more dramatic than the game ever well. They’ve certainly been guilty of that too, along with half the games industry.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/08/ubisoft-demos-not-faked/

Seems only fitting, it was this time last year Ubisoft were digging, at least now they seem to have taken the hint and are, at least, trying to do the right thing.

Now if the can just ditch the one size fits all game mechanic they've been using on everything for the last 4 years maybe they'll start actually redeeming themselves in gamers eyes.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It's sad that they have to say this

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Its a result of the giant hole they dug themselves into with WD, FC4 and ACU but yeah, it just shows you how badly fucking up can effect your business and for how long people remember that stuff.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Its a result of the giant hole they dug themselves into with WD, FC4 and ACU but yeah, it just shows you how badly fucking up can effect your business and for how long people remember that stuff.

And even FC3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

dang it, im sure my search isn't working as i did search for Ubisoft before i posted.

Anyways Admin please lock/delete.

I think this is a bit misleading.

In general, so not everyone, pc gaming enthusiasts can handle the fact that their E3 demos look superior to the finished product. Some of this crushing disappointment regarding visual quality has to do with they either remove or tone down so much of the effects and textures well past what many PC gamers rigs are capable of displaying, likely due to other problems then just being too stressful for the hardware to handle. The things that seem to really get at everyone is the much more limited gameplay then promised and even more so the glitches and/or poor optimizations forcing users to run at lower setting then their hardware is capable of.

So i guess that means the actual games being released are going to feature the Wilhelm scream that almost all of them had mixed in somewhere? or will that just accessible through hacking into some encrypted ini files?

And, also calling bullshit on this. The games they showcase are all going to have downgrades along the way.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Nobody gives a shit about promises anymore. Just shut up and let the games do the talking. This is one exec who needs to keep his trap shut.

5 years of perfect behaviour and ditch uPlay and I'll consider buying Ubisoft again.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Games in library: 60.

Ubisoft Games: 0.

I'll give you my money one day. However you will have to work hard for it, ubi :D

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Yeah and Watch_Dog's E3 demo was real, but it wasn't default in the finished product, it was hidden away and when people found it you said that it wasn't stable even though people actually gained performance in some instances when running the E3 settings.

The only game I'm interested from Ubi right now is The Division, but I know I won't see anything truthful until reviewers get the game in their hands so there is no point in getting excited by it when the game could be dead in the water at release.

Good luck Ubi, you'll need it.

So, they are no longer showing the prettier versions of their games to not disappoint people?

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

If Yves is so condient on this one, lets do a minor challenge for him..

If we can prove him wrong, that the E3 demos were glorified, they must remove pre-ordering and never return to such stupid method of stealing peoples money/ruining the industry.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

even more so the glitches and/or poor optimizations forcing users to run at lower setting then their hardware is capable of.

This is Ubisoft's problem. Compared to most other AAA studios they struggle to get their games running stutter free at good framerates on PC.

I like Ubisoft they made a lot of great games.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It's not like Ubisoft is alone in this, E3 is always vertically slices and smoke and mirrors.  Especially if a game is still more than a few months off from release.

People need to stop pre-ordering and buy games based on how they are on release.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

If they aren't lying through their teeth, I can't wait for that ghost recon game. The atmosphere looked incredible. Here's hoping I can play it sans internet.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

This is Ubisoft's problem. Compared to most other AAA studios they struggle to get their games running stutter free at good framerates on PC.

Far Cry 4 was pretty good after drivers came out.  Ran at 1080p/50-60 FPS on Ultra on a single 270x.  

Unity and maybe Watch Dogs were pretty bad, but I've never had too many issues with their other port jobs.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Far Cry 4 was pretty good after drivers came out. Ran at 1080p/50-60 FPS on Ultra on a single 270x.

Unity and maybe Watch Dogs were pretty bad, but I've never had too many issues with their other port jobs.

2014 was a bad year for them. Not just raw frame rates but intermittent stutter. FC4 was not as bad as other two but still had hitches when driving.

Yeah, I believe him this time... cuz The Division totally looked like crap this time around compared to the previous E3's.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

tell%20lies%20on%20the%20internet_zpsppa

I'm glad I didn't throw this image away

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

No offense to the OP or anything, but can we stop fucking listening to what this fucking asshole (Yves) says? He's a fucking liar, who cares, people should stop interviewing him and just forget Ubisoft even exists until they release a good fucking game

-------

Current Rig

-------