Watch Dogs backlash started a policy change at Ubisoft, says company’s CEO Yves Guillemot

Bouzoo

I know nothing about this guy so won't comment on that, but someone being an "old college dropout" doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know how to step up their game. As long as someone has good ideas and knows what he's doing it's all good.

The problem is the discipline of computer science is vast and complicated enough it takes a rare bird to be able to master it without a formal education in it. Trying to understand advanced parallel algorithms on your own without someone to explain the intuition behind them is typically a fool's errand. And that's the level of skill we are going to require to advance games in the coming years. Currently people complain about Intel's lack of performance gains and innovation, but the reality is Intel pushed parallel computing in the consumer markets far harder than AMD did, going so far as to create the OpenMP framework and release stewardship of it to a free commission such that anyone could implement it in any language. That framework has existed for more than a decade, and yet parallel coding is only just starting to emerge in games and consumer software. Most of consumer software uses one heavy central thread and a bunch of tiny asynchronous worker threads, something that looks much like a brain dead server in Java that anyone who took AP computer science in high school is capable of building. It's highly unbalanced and very simple. Balanced synchronous algorithms are more difficult, and balanced asynchronous implementations are tougher still. If it was so easy for these old dogs to learn new tricks, they should have learned a couple before now.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well I guess there are college dropouts and then there are college dropouts. Gabe Newell, Bill Gates, John Carmack etc are dropouts because they were driven to do something worthwhile in a different direction and made conscious career choices to leave.

Exactly, but how rare are these sorts of people? And how many of them really go into game development? I'm simply saying we haven't seen the results we need to from the development community, and based on the original code that was released for UE 4, I fear said community is a long way from getting up to speed.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well I guess there are college dropouts and then there are college dropouts. Gabe Newell, Bill Gates, John Carmack etc are dropouts because they were driven to do something worthwhile in a different direction and made conscious career choices to leave.

How many of them turn up into the gaming industry though? I'm pretty sure the gaming industry is probably the worst kind of software developing industry you can work at in terms of how much time/effort/work you have to put in, stability of job, and how much money you can earn. At least those are reasons why I think some developers don't actively pursue a game developing position.

Policy change: "We won't give PC gamers any hope of a good looking port, that way they can't call us out for being greedy mediocre assholes".

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Consoles + greedy production companies = harmful to the industry.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

and based on the original code that was released for UE 4, I fear said community is a long way from getting up to speed.

What did you think of UE4 code in comparison to other engines you have looked at?

When Watch Dogs came out I had already boycotted Ubisoft for 9 years, (for buying and raping the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise, plus making mostly only garbage games except for Beyond Good & Evil) so I'm just happy they managed to fuck this one up enough that the average gamer realized what they were as well.

I'm sticking with my 5 years of perfect behaviour* before I forgive Ubisoft, and that's a long way away. CEO statements are (especially when it's from a repeatedly proven asshole) irrelevant.

*And that will only begin once uPlay is discontinued.

said the one that PC gamers are 95% pirates? yeah... right.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gaming-has-around-a-93-95-per-cent-piracy-rate-claims-ubisoft-ceo/

He also said "optimization for PC is not important" - that guy is an absolute sewage spill.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

What did you think of UE4 code in comparison to other engines you have looked at?

Not as good as Frostbite, but better than Cryengine.

Not as good as Frostbite, but better than Cryengine. The community's put it in a far better place. I still disagree with how they balance their CPU physics engine, but I'm a sucker for OpenMP.

Wtf double partial posts?

So, a simple text edit could make the graphics better and have no performance hit, yet they patch it so you no longer can enable it through editing either for the ones that work? Definitely all about the gamers ubishieeet

*Insert genius meme*

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

If I recall correctly yes they did. As a result pirates had the best experience since they had the nonupdated game. Since I'm pretty sure the update was automatic thanks to Uplay being the worst game distribution platform possible.

Yep, I downloaded the game, unlocked everything and played it to the end with very little to none problems whatsoever. Meanwhile the guys with legitimate copies were struggling with poor framerates, despite their lower graphical settings. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Yep, I downloaded the game, unlocked everything and played it to the end with very little to none problems whatsoever. Meanwhile the guys with legitimate copies were struggling with poor framerates, despite their lower graphical settings. 

Well done Ubisoft, well done:

post-155575-0-28665400-1436293148.gif

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I did the same thing with Legit copy, i dont understand your point. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

So, a simple text edit could make the graphics better and have no performance hit, yet they patch it so you no longer can enable it through editing either for the ones that work? Definitely all about the gamers ubishieeet

*Insert genius meme*

^This

They didn't downgrade anything because of performance issues, when that can be taken care of with this little thing that we PC gamers call "the graphics settings page". They did it because they were likely paid to, so that the PC Version wouldn't look quite so much better than the console version.

Either that, or they're completely incompetent morons.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

^This

They didn't downgrade anything because of performance issues, when that can be taken care of with this little thing that we PC gamers call "the graphics settings page". They did it because they were likely paid to, so that the PC Version wouldn't look quite so much better than the console version.

Either that, or they're completely incompetent morons.

1 word sums up Ubisoft (aka the European EA): retarded.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Until I see something PC exclusive or a game launched same day or before than console I'll wait and see where this is going.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |