Running Windows 7 with new bios Help!

HELP I THINK YOU ARE MY LAST HOPE

I have the Gigabyte 299x wu8. Everything was fine when I ran Windows 7 Ultimate 64x. 

Now it blue screens with 7b stop error.  I have two identical drives and created a 3rd from backup. 

I can take any of these and put them into an Asus i7 computer it finds the hardware and runs...move it back it blue screens.

If I create a fresh win7 disk on the asus and move thst drive over to the 299x it also blue screens.

This makes me wonder if it is some settings that I missed. These new graphic bios have a lot more options.  Please help I don't want to loose my stuff.

Rudy

Is the updated bios booting in legacy or uefi mode?
Modern graphical bios’s are UEFI. The x299 system was likely running in legacy CSM mode on the original install and now after a bios update may be defaulting to UEFI.

Back up your personal files off of the drive by plugging the drive into a separate system running ideally Linux because it makes it easier, but it can be done on windows as well. Copy over all your important stuff so you can do a clean reinstall on the x299 system without losing your files.

Reinstall windows 7 on the x299 system, from the x299 system, on one drive. 

33 minutes ago, Rudolf.horak said:

If I create a fresh win7 disk on the asus and move thst drive over to the 299x it also blue screens.

thats because windows 7 isn't compatible with drive hopping the OS to different boards.

you can do that with windows 95-98 , or windows 10 sometimes can do it without issues. But windows 2000/xp/vista/7 need the chipset drivers to be correct or the OS doesn't boot.

I have tried both Legacy and EUFI.  Here is the kicker.  Even a clean install made on the other computer when moved over blue screens.  There has to be something it does not like...It also ran before with this board all of a sudden it does this and does this BSOD with the two originals as well as the fresh backup I made.  

I remember Win xp had the controller issue if you went in to delete it it fixed everything, 98 had enum or something like that registry key where it would find all of your hardware again.

There is something in the setup that is doing this.

On 5/15/2024 at 12:57 PM, emosun said:

thats because windows 7 isn't compatible with drive hopping the OS to different boards.

you can do that with windows 95-98 , or windows 10 sometimes can do it without issues. But windows 2000/xp/vista/7 need the chipset drivers to be correct or the OS doesn't boot.

But it ran on the 299x before where I moved it to it was never installed.  In other words this was the first time that disk was connected to that computer and it ran fine.  That is the mystery