Intel G3258 or FX 8350

Yep, I'm asking. After some great information given to me from a thread about how bad amd is, I'm wondering how these two compare. Anyone that has owned either of these two cpus for an opinion? I would be willing to buy the 4160 or 4130 if the g3258 is not good enough to at least play the latest titles at fair settings (1080p medium graphics) without bottlenecking a GPU.

Both are a poor choice for gaming.

If you have the money for an FX 8350; go for the i5 4440.

If that's too much: i3 4160.

FX 8350 is just bad and Pentium bottlenecks the R9 270 and better

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i3 is the one you want. pentium can't play some games because of hard 4 thread locks.

also this, if you can afford 8350 you can afford i5 4460, which is straight up better.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yep, I'm asking. After some great information given to me from a thread about how bad amd is, I'm wondering how these two compare. Anyone that has owned either of these two cpus for an opinion? I would be willing to buy the 4160 or 4130 if the g3258 is not good enough to at least play the latest titles at fair settings (1080p medium graphics) without bottlenecking a GPU.

i3 4160

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

i5 4460/ 4440 is better than both for about the price of the 8350.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

PCPER made a very good test on this:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems/Quad-Core-Gaming-Roundup-How-Much-CPU-Do-You-Really-Need

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

i5 takes it by a mile, expected  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Thanks for the advice guys! Also, I just started looking into Intel yesterday, with the i3 hyper threading does that mean windows will recognize the 2 core i3 as a 4 core? So I would be able to boot 4 core required games with no hacks?

The AMD FX series mobos are still on PCIe 2.0 and it should be able to boot 4 core games :)

over 9000 stream cores

Thanks for the advice guys! Also, I just started looking into Intel yesterday, with the i3 hyper threading does that mean windows will recognize the 2 core i3 as a 4 core? So I would be able to boot 4 core required games with no hacks?

Yup, it'll see the four threads and should work with games like Inquisition and FC4 just fine.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

i5 takes it by a mile, expected  :lol:

wow that was a great read, however I'm a little confused by the i5 coming up above the 4790k in so many benchmarks?  I'm a little ignorant but would love to be filled in.  I read something about hyperthreading providing worse results in certain tasks than a standard 4 core

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

If you can afford an FX8, you can afford an i5, which is what you want for a gaming build.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

YOOOO what is this comparison?

Just money-wise, these two don't even really compare whatsoever.

Please try to compare performance between two products that are more closer in price.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

i5-4460/cheap H97 motherboard...done.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

wow that was a great read, however I'm a little confused by the i5 coming up above the 4790k in so many benchmarks?  I'm a little ignorant but would love to be filled in.  I read something about hyperthreading providing worse results in certain tasks than a standard 4 core

The i7-4790k can oly show it's power in multi GPU setups. And yes, depending on the workload HT can slow the system down.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

The i7-4790k can oly show it's power in multi GPU setups. And yes, depending on the workload HT can slow the system down.

huh, I didn't know that a 4 core 3.3ghz could ever out perform a newer, higher end 4 core 4.4.  I knew the i7 wouldn't be "better" for gaming but I didn't figure that it would get beaten by something like that.  price/performance definitely!  but just performance surprises me a bit.  So much to learn. 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

huh, I didn't know that a 4 core 3.3ghz could ever out perform a newer, higher end 4 core 4.4. I knew the i7 wouldn't be "better" for gaming but I didn't figure that it would get beaten by something like that. price/performance definitely! but just performance surprises me a bit. So much to learn.

A 4 core HT with 4.4 GHz is a more like a 8 core with 2.2 GHz and less memory bandwith since two cores share the same memory interface. The only advantage is the shorter pipeline. This helps a lot in certain workloads, but not all.

And I know it only haves 4 physikal cores :)

You cant compare these, they are for way different PC uses... and comparing these would be like comparing an apple to an orange.

Wanting to compare these just shows a lack of funds... /wait until you have more money, get an i5 for Gaming, and an i5 for Gaming/Rendering :P

FX are useless in pretty much every situation except 100% full load 24/7 ALL the time (which in gaming, is not a thing EVER)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

A 4 core HT with 4.4 GHz is a more like a 8 core with 2.2 GHz and less memory bandwith since two cores share the same memory interface. The only advantage is the shorter pipeline. This helps a lot in certain workloads, but not all.

And I know it only haves 4 physikal cores :)

Oh i wasn't meaning to inform you, Just kinda putting it out there. :) you're one of the smartest guys i don't know

That's good to know about the ht. I have been experimenting tonight with ht on and off in a few benchmarks but havent gotten far.

Would turning ht off in bios on the i7 maybe eliminate this advantage the i5 has in the benchmarks?

"Both are poor choices for gaming." The pentium is one of the best budget CPU's out there and deals way above its weight class. You must be a stranger around Linus Tech Tips because he's talked so much about the pentium. He's done MULTIPLE benchmarks with the G3258 and compared it to other CPU's including the 5960X. Not only that, he used a GTX 970 with the pentium as well, which didn't bottleneck it at all.

"Both are poor choices for gaming." The pentium is one of the best budget CPU's out there and deals way above its weight class. You must be a stranger around Linus Tech Tips because he's talked so much about the pentium. He's done MULTIPLE benchmarks with the G3258 and compared it to other CPU's including the 5960X. Not only that, he used a GTX 970 with the pentium as well, which didn't bottleneck it at all.

It is not one of the best budget CPU's. All the Pentiums the reviewers got were sooo binned, meaning they overclocked a lot better than the ones which regular consumers would get.

The Pentium is a dual core, which now bottlenecks a lot of GPU's because games run just so much better in 4 Threads. This causes the Pentium to bottleneck a lot.

Well let me just provide some actual proof after my claims:

RoBZhGi.png

0jvMzH4.png

ZqeqU5h.png

I would include a Far Cry 4 benchmark, but that doesn't run on dual cores. What a shame.

These benchmarks are all benchmarks with the GTX 980, because you mentioned it wouldn't bottleneck a GTX 970 and an overclocked GTX 970 gets fairly close to the GTX 980.

I hope I have opened your eyes a little bit and you will look up benchmarks first before calling people "an idiot" and saying they are "a stranger around Linus Tech Tips"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

And another i5 4440 the same as mine beating the FX 9590 like a boss.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Check some frame time graphs.

Oh i wasn't meaning to inform you, Just kinda putting it out there. :) you're one of the smartest guys i don't know

That's good to know about the ht. I have been experimenting tonight with ht on and off in a few benchmarks but havent gotten far.

Would turning ht off in bios on the i7 maybe eliminate this advantage the i5 has in the benchmarks?

Haha, thx for the compliment. :)

Yes turning HT off would probably improve the performance in gaming. However on other applications, or running lots of applications at zhe same time, HT can improve the performance ~20%.

But if you only use the i7-4790k for gaming, why did you bougth this CPU?

As I guess you don't reboot to turn HT on after gaming. So you will loose over all performance.

Just leave it on, a lot of very smart engineers have optimized this feature for years. There is a benefit...