Do you believe religion?

Overkilled

Eh, I believe in religion on a more philosophical level, I also think it's a personal thing that shouldn't be imposed on others if they don't want it.

Like if someones gay and a christian finds it offensive, then the christian is being a bitch and should face the fact that it doesn't concern him or her.

But as I said, I think of it more like a philosophy, I believe in heaven to a certain degree, but I think the concept of hell is just bullshit.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

If god is almighty, could he not have simply erased satan from existence, thus eliminating the threat forever?

This is a complicated question, one that can only be answered after reading the Bible, but I will attempt to answer the best I can.

I suggest watching Dogma. It explains God in so many good ways. I know a lot of religious people have a problem with that movie, but I do not. I find it answers and questions important things, both for religious and non-religious. Whilst there are things in it I find problematic simply because bias was ignoring important details or the like, it, I feel, is a piece of religious watching material all religious people should watch at some point or another.

Alright, sorry for the ramble...onward!

Satan, once he fell, became something vital to life, just as God creating Free Will stops Him from forcing someone to acknowledge and worship Him. Once God had created him, he existed, and once he fell evil was woven into life. He does these things in patterns and the ways He does because God cannot be proven wrong, or He falls Himself, so thus He gave Satan a leash and managed to tighten a grasp on his power (limiting it to 1: temptation of good folk 2: the final days). God thus made it a choice; Sin and Evil, or Salvation and Love? I guess you can think of it as a set of rules He Himself imposed.

So anyways the time will come when Satan is, once and for all, shackled in a domain crafted for him and his evil as God already wrote that in store for Satan (the Bible states it a few times), so God has already written him out of existence. It just cannot happen yet, unfortunately, as things must happen in order. Think of it as chess game; you can't get the king until you cross the board.

Here is a quotation from the Bible where God tells of His plan to destroy Satan and the long battle until then:

Genesis 3:15

And I will put enmity between you and the woman,

and between your offspring  and hers;

he will crushyour head, and you will strike his heel.

*the woman he speaks of is Mary and the offspring is Jesus, and it details the battle and eventual defeat of Satan

God is all powerful and while I am not designed to know His plans and the limits of His powers, I know from what I have read that God intervenes when He can and when He must (that is the "negative" part of Free Will; it restricts what He can do), but has been limited because the events in Eden. He put His trust and faith in Adam and Eve, thus putting Himself in a vulnerable position against His Fallen Son, and they broke that trust and faith by falling from His Grace as Satan had.

(I am sorry if my words are jumbled. I have extreme difficulties expressing my thoughts coherently. If you need clarification, please feel free to ask for it. :) )

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Of course, you have to think about something before you can accept or dispute it.

That is what I did too with religion. After 6 years of these stories, I was gone from that school and went to a non religious school. At that time I was able to think about what I believed and what not. I was able to speak to my parents and ask questions (as said, my parents are not religious, but not at all hardcore atheists) and think about it.

I really think religion is just for mass control of groups.

And also controlled by people who only want to make more money of it.

EDIT: Religion also used to be to explain some things humanity did not understand. That is not that much prevalent in religion now (a bit though)

Example: in Greek mythology, there were gods. For example: Poseidon. God of water. He controlled the water and that was how they explained how water works. Now we are more advanced and know how it actually is.

That is what religion is; a tool for control.

This is one of the reasons why Jesus and the "Christian" God was against it; it gave man control and power to use against His children. That is why believing in Jesus Christ as your Saviour is the only "necessary" thing for you to be in God's love and His domain. Nothing else matters.  You don't have to be part of a herd, you don't have to worship in some temple or church, you just have to believe in God and Jesus Christ. And that's a beautiful thing.

I don't think my mother will repeat those words.

I am from Assyrian(click) descent so religion would be very important to them.

Anyway, he died last year. And my mother is actually very kind, and loves her children, doing it for her sake.

That is good news to hear! I hate hearing about sad things...I am faint of heart. t-t

Are Assyrians really that "attached" to religion? I have heard things but I do not like to listen to baseless words of (complete) strangers.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

That is what religion is; a tool for control.

This is one of the reasons why Jesus and the "Christian" God was against it; it gave man control and power to use against His children. That is why believing in Jesus Christ as your Saviour is the only "necessary" thing for you to be in God's love and His domain. Nothing else matters.  You don't have to be part of a herd, you don't have to worship in some temple or church, you just have to believe in God and Jesus Christ. And that's a beautiful thing.

That is good news to hear! I hate hearing about sad things...I am faint of heart. t-t

Are Assyrians really that "attached" to religion? I have heard things but I do not like to listen to baseless words of (complete) strangers.

Well not all people are the same, so, my parents are/were atached to it, a lot of my cousins and my sisters are atheists too.

God was trying to spare them from an evil that he could no longer control (fallen angel), a fallen son, and from a future where that fallen son could continuously do evil onto them or where they could fall to such similar situations.

Are you saying that God is not all powerful?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Are you saying that God is not all powerful?

Yes...that's exactly what I said.

Yes...that's exactly what I said.

So why should I put my trust in him?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

What are your opinions on it?

MOD EDIT, alpenwasser:adding my post from below to OP so that people see it more easily:
wish I could like my own post :D

Wow this blew up

Don't act as if you didn't expect this ;)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So why should I put my trust in him?

Because He puts His trust and love in you, even when you spit in His face and denounce Him. He always have His arms open and will forgive and love you no matter how you talk to Him or treat Him.

If you won't put trust in a person or entity that will love you no matter what you do or say, then I don't know what you would put your trust in or why else you should do it.

Wow this blew up

We are being civil so what do you mean? I am actually having a lot of fun and insight into others' point of view debating this, and I am not offended and I do not think anything was said to offend others?

Because He puts His trust and love in you, even when you spit in His face and denounce Him. He always have His arms open and will forgive and love you no matter how you talk to Him or treat Him.

If you won't put trust in a person or entity that will love you no matter what you do or say, then I don't know what you would put your trust in or why else you should do it.

But he isn't all-powerful. If he can't control Satan...then what else can't he do?

I'm atheist, and believe in science. 

I respect and admire those who believe in religion, but do not respect those who try to influence their religion on myself and others who are not of the same religion. 

Nope.

Who's to say we even exist at all?

Beyond that, I can't believe in a heaven or hell because good and evil are only perspectives.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Buddhist/Confucianist

So yes i am religious. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Wow this blew up

Congratulation my friend , you have a stable and civil thread about Religion ... kudos to the the people who have discuss on this ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I'm atheist, and believe in science. 

I respect and admire those who believe in religion, but do not respect those who try to influence their religion on myself and others who are not of the same religion. 

How do you believe the universe was created if you believe in science?

How do you believe the universe was created if you believe in science?

We don't fully know that yet. But I'm not going to assume or make up how it happened.

There are many theories on how it may have happened, bu knowing exactly how is something we don't know yet. 

But he isn't all-powerful. If he can't control Satan...then what else can't he do?

He most certainly can control Satan. You aren't understanding...probably due to my fault (I apologize).

Satan was one of God's beloved Sons, someone God still loves very much. One day Satan said to himself, "I will be greater than God". Because of his pride (he was the most beautiful angel) he convinced a third of God's angels to side with him against God in Heaven. Satan would go into Heavenly Court before God and accuse man constantly, saying "We only loved God because God protects and blesses us and "forces" us to". Satan then told God to be "fair" he had to let us decide to either follow Satan or God. So God told him, "Okay dude" (paraphrasing). And then He created us with a free mind (free will), meaning He does have the power to do as He wishes but He doesn't want to because it would force us to live a way He wants or the way that Satan wants.

*Please read the book of Job, for one example.

If God "destroyed" Satan now (God plans to banish him, not kill him) that would be breaking the argument/agreement He had with Satan and that would prove Satan was right. God is allowing man to be swayed to either Satan's side, or His Heavenly side. To choose. If He broke that agreement with Satan, and destroyed Him, it would take it all away, even that free will and the ability to choose.

So God does "nothing" because He wants us to choose. He wants us to love Him of our own free will, to prove Satan wrong, to show that man can turn his back to evil and Satan even when it is flaunted in his face constantly—that when it comes down to it, man would not love Satan but God given the choice. Why? Because God does not want your forced "love" and acknowledgement of what is and what should be and will be; He wants you to turn to Him because you love Him, not because you have to.

We don't fully know that yet. But I'm not going to assume or make up how it happened.

There are many theories on how it may have happened, bu knowing exactly how is something we don't know yet. 

Ok, disregard that statement. Another question for all the atheists out there: How do you explain the attraction of atoms? What causes them to come together and and create life as diverse and beautiful as the life found on earth? 

He most certainly can control Satan. You aren't understanding...probably due to my fault (I apologize).

Satan was one of God's beloved Sons, someone God still loves very much. One day Satan said to himself, "I will be greater than God". Because of his pride (he was the most beautiful angel) he convinced a third of God's angels to side with him against God in Heaven. Satan would go into Heavenly Court before God and accuse man constantly, saying "We only loved God because God protects and blesses us and "forces" us to". Satan then told God to be "fair" he had to let us decide to either follow Satan or God. So God told him, "Okay dude" (paraphrasing). And then He created us with a free mind (free will), meaning He does have the power to do as He wishes but He doesn't want to because it would force us to live a way He wants or the way that Satan wants.

*Please read the book of Job, for one example.

If God "destroyed" Satan now (God plans to banish him, not kill him) that would be breaking the argument/agreement He had with Satan and that would prove Satan was right. God is allowing man to be swayed to either Satan's side, or His Heavenly side. To choose. If He broke that agreement with Satan, and destroyed Him, it would take it all away, even that free will and the ability to choose.

So God does "nothing" because He wants us to choose. He wants us to love Him of our own free will, to prove Satan wrong, to show that man can turn his back to evil and Satan even when it is flaunted in his face constantly—that when it comes down to it, man would not love Satan but God given the choice. Why? Because God does not want your forced "love" and acknowledgement of what is and what should be and will be; He wants you to turn to Him because you love Him, not because you have to.

Can you prove this little court meeting actually happened? Even using your holy book.