Do you believe religion?

Overkilled

I am personally aethiest, and I hate being forced onto religion, the other day, at my school, we had an assembly where we were forced to prey, for me, I found that slightly offensive, but there were muslims in there aswell, who would have found it very offensive.

I think religion is forced onto alot of people, and they don't get choices.

No he doesn't.

You need look at this biblically for me to explain why, which is the hard part when answering questions because those asking the questions are generally skeptical of the Bible. If I try to explain it, I'll only get shut down.

If your deity has the power to stop all the awful things in the world, why doesn't he?

This is a genuine question.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

<-----Atheist

If your deity has the power to stop all the awful things in the world, why doesn't he?

This is a genuine question.

"it's a test" "he has a plan" etc.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I believe in real things. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Alright, I'll go to the Bible now.

With Adam and Eve, God did stop all the evil things in the world. As soon as Eve first, and then Adam (common misconception that Adam sinned first), sinned, sin and all the awful things in the world came into the world. God now makes it the choice of man to either run to Him for guidance and help or live in sin. If he stopped all the awful things in the world, he'll be contradicting himself.

I mean, when you're a real Christian, everything isn't perfect and sometimes it's harder, but it's worth it in the long run IMO.

Correction. God did not stop the evil things in the world with Adam and Eve. When they were created, "evil" was unheard of. I've heard the story multiple times, but this does not free your deity from explaining himself as to why he would punish us for things committed by Adam and Eve.

If your deity is essentially neutral at this point in the face of all the atrocities in the world, does he really support "good"? If I see someone being burned alive and I remain "neutral,"(not doing anything at all) do I really want to save their life?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

With Adam and Eve, God did stop all the evil things in the world. As soon as Eve first, and then Adam (common misconception that Adam sinned first), sinned, sin and all the awful things in the world came into the world. God now makes it the choice of man to either run to Him for guidance and help or live in sin. If he stopped all the awful things in the world, he'll be contradicting himself.

I mean, when you're a real Christian, everything isn't perfect and sometimes it's harder, but you feel secure. It's worth it in the long run IMO.

You are aware of the paradox of adam and eve right? (not the whole incest thing) but the simple fact that their "sin", was one of ignorance. God told them not to eat the fruit from the tree, but because they had no knowledge of right and wrong (which was attained by eating from the tree)....how could they have known it was wrong? They know god said not to, but that doesn't necessarily entail understanding that it was "wrong".

My father is a big christian, and he still asks himself that question. What it boils down to in the end, in my view, is obedience. Which, as far as I am concerned, is all that the religions of the world are about.

I mean, when you're a real Christian, everything isn't perfect and sometimes it's harder, but you feel secure. It's worth it in the long run IMO.

But if you say that people have the choice to turn to God for help, then why does he not help all people who turn to him? There's people that have died because they refused legitimate medical treatments for things like cancer, because they believed that God would save them.

I am a follower of Christ. I do not believe in organized religion and I do not consider myself a part of it. I do not attend church, I do not worship popes, I don't believe priests are God ordained and I do not believe God would create things as mistakes. I do "believe" in science (though I do not understand it as well as I would wish) and I promote the ideals of humane rights and the right to do as you please with your life. But for the sake of simplicity and to answer the OP (which, by the by, there are many threads like this) I am a "Christian".

I'm not religious because someone brainwashed me either. I was an atheist for most of my life, just read about Jesus one day and have been a "Christian" since. I love my faith. :wub:

@Minibois

Ouch! I have read many stories about people in faith based schools. The majority of which are extreme in their teachings and views. It is such a shame they exist and turn so many people away from even tolerance of religion. Sorry you had to experience it. :(

I'm glad I had parents who did not push what they believed—religious beliefs, political etc etc—onto me. They raised me to think for myself. That is something I'll be thankful for for the rest of my life.

Religion is a disease that robs people of common sense and the motivation to do anything for themselves

Wow...that's some Bill Maher channeling there. Was it really necessary for you to insult religious people like that and call us all a disease? :o

And you say that yet there are millions of rich, successful religious people. You couldn't be further from the truth....

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I am a follower of Christ. I do not believe in organized religion and I do not consider myself a part of it. I do not attend church, I do not worship popes, I don't believe priests are God ordained and I do not believe God would create things as mistakes. I do "believe" in science (though I do not understand it as well as I would wish) and I promote the ideals of humane rights and the right to do as you please with your life. But for the sake of simplicity and to answer the OP (which, by the by, there are many threads like this) I am a "Christian".

I'm not religious because someone brainwashed me either. I was an atheist for most of my life, just read about Jesus one day and have been a "Christian" since. I love my faith. :wub:

@Minibois

Ouch! I have read many stories about people in faith based schools. The majority of which are extreme in their teachings and views. It is such a shame they exist and turn so many people away from even tolerance of religion. Sorry you had to experience it. :(

I'm glad I had parents who did not push what they believed—religious beliefs, political etc etc—onto me. They raised me to think for myself. That is something I'll be thankful for for the rest of my life.

Wow...that's some Bill Maher channeling there. Was it really necessary for you to insult religious people like that and call us all a disease? :o

And you say that yet there are millions of rich, successful religious people. You couldn't be further from the truth....

Yeah, heard that many times now. It not that they were very extreme, but just acting as if all of it was 100% truth. That is just something that bothers me, thinking back about it.

To be honest, religion to me feels like an easy way of enforcing laws, morals and other type of rules.

Not everyone will listen to some political figure, but if you say some deity said it, people might follow it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

and call us all a disease? :o

No I think he called the religion itself a disease, not the followers. But in that sense you might be seen as 'infected'

I don't think that Religion is real but I respect that some people do and I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't stop me from doing anything.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

(I dunno, is that Catholic or Protestant?)

Both are considered to be part of the Christian denomination. Same goes with Baptists and Mennonites.

Evil was unheard of? Satan? The Tree of Knowledge bearing the forbidden fruit? Those are both inherently evil. And yes it does

But we do not know when the angel started to have "evil" thoughts. It could've been for thousands of years, or five. In regards to the Tree of Knowledge, does that mean your deity deliberately created "evil"?

Both are considered to be part of the Christian denomination. Same goes with Baptists and Mennonites.

Yeah, but protestant and catholic seems to be kind of separated in the Netherlands. 

At least that used to be a few centuries ago, not sure if they are still considered different. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah, but protestant and catholic seems to be kind of separated in the Netherlands. 

At least that used to be a few centuries ago, not sure if they are still considered different. 

Mostly, I was raised a Catholic and in church they still are.

Wasn't truly aware, and this can definitely be argued (but I'm not in the mood right now lol)

Actually, God told them they would die. Isn't that enough? (I'm assuming at least)

So not only does he demand obedience without explanation, he's a liar as well?

i don't mind it, i got a pretty neutral standing point on alll religions, science says "big bang created all" but then the question is, who or what started it?, the fact we dont know who/what triggerd it keeps me open minded, it allows that even scientific theories include a heavenly being, which choses not to interact with us by choice or isn't able to interact with us after he set of the big bang, but sadly not quite alot of people(that i know of) are open for such a solution, since it includes A) science/big bang or rather B) accepts god as a possibility.

so i'm pretty neutral, aslong people don't take it to far.

altough religion is kinda like a penis, it's fine to have one so long you don't wave around with it and smack it into someone's face.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Wait, what? If an expert tells you, do not eat from that tree, you will die if you do, would you? That's the basic principle I'm trying to get across.

Yes, but it was a lie, they didn't die, they attained the knowledge of right and wrong.

Yeah, heard that many times now. It not that they were very extreme, but just acting as if all of it was 100% truth. That is just something that bothers me, thinking back about it.

To be honest, religion to me feels like an easy way of enforcing laws, morals and other type of rules.

Not everyone will listen to some political figure, but if you say some deity said it, people might follow it.

I find the inability to accept a debate, or to answer questions, extremist as well. God, nor Jesus, wanted people to form organized religions and act that way. It is just disappointing to me I guess, because I know it turns so many people away from God or even the tolerance of it.

I understand your view, certainly. I am of the belief that God (from a religious point of view) gave us a moral code to follow because back then violence and the like was more than rampant, it was a pandemic. Religious and non-religious alike were near the point of wiping each other out etc etc. So in a way, I think you are right.

(I have a very unfavourably view that a lot of the Bible was purposely twisted around by the hand of Man for power and wealth.)

No I think he called the religion itself a disease, not the followers. But in that sense you might be seen as 'infected'

Yea, that's how I took it. If religion is a disease then it makes us, as you said, "infected". He was, indirectly, calling us all a disease. It was a comment that is often muttered from the lips of religious extremists...how is that kind of sentiment allowed to be expressed here, or at least in this thread, the way that it was? Imagine if a religious person had said something like that...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

It wasn't a lie. Are they alive now?

Adam and Eve were meant to live forever, eternally with God, but because they ate from the tree they aged and they died. He never lied

so the moral of the story is "obey god or suffer the consequences".

Doesn't sound like a very benevolent god to me. (remember, I'm an atheist. Religions generally make me laugh, at best)

Wait, what? If an expert tells you, do not eat from that tree, you will die if you do, would you?

Then I would ask why.

I find the inability to accept a debate, or to answer questions, extremist as well. God, nor Jesus, wanted people to form organized religions and act that way. It is just disappointing to me I guess, because I know it turns so many people away from God or even the tolerance of it.

I understand your view, certainly. I am of the belief that God (from a religious point of view) gave us a moral code to follow because back then violence and the like was more than rampant, it was a pandemic. Religious and non-religious alike were near the point of wiping each other out etc etc. So in a way, I think you are right.

Yea, that's how I took it. If religion is a disease then it makes us, as you said, "infected". He was, indirectly, calling us all a disease. It was a comment that is often muttered from the lips of religious extremists...how is that kind of sentiment allowed to be expressed here, or at least in this thread, the way that it was? Imagine if a religious person had said something like that...

Well yeah this is why these threads never work eh :P My mom is a christian, along with a large part of my family, I am an atheist. We live together but she still believes I am a christian, she can't accept that I am an atheist. I play the part on occasion, until I move out.

They didn't ask why though. It wasn't that important to them I suppose

It also seems questioning God wasn't and isn't allowed.

Nah, I only believe in dank memes and our lord and savior Nana Mizuki

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

so the moral of the story is "obey god or suffer the consequences".

Doesn't sound like a very benevolent god to me. (remember, I'm an atheist. Religions generally make me laugh, at best)

I think the real meaning of what had happened with Adam and Eve is that they were supposed to have faith in their Father and trust that what he told them needed to be obeyed without question because it was the best for them. And it was. Once they ate that apple, they were hurled into a world of pain and evil. 

Well yeah this is why these threads never work eh :P My mom is a christian, along with a large part of my family, I am an atheist. We live together but she still believes I am a christian, she can't accept that I am an atheist. I play the part on occasion, until I move out.

I just don't see why people have to act that way I guess. haha

Did you tell her you are not a Christian?