WD40?

Im wondering how useful is WD40 is in the computer world, if per say you have a spillage of your drink and its all over your components

I am asking this because i used it on my motherboard, GPU, Computer case and ram to clean off a coke spill

WD40 is absolute bae for removing sticker residue

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

wd40 is a lubricant not a PC cleaner

use alcohol instead

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I feel like you may have screwed up there. :P 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

use alcohol instead

Yes sir but many life hacks say its good for cleaning as well

Oh yes! this is my number 1 tool for the job

You can use it to lubricate fan motors.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I wouldn't bring wd40 near a computer but that may just be me

I feel like you may have screwed up there. :P

to both of you My PC is currently running at the moment without any damage

Been on for 9h now, ran a few bench marks to push max load on her to test. No damage no burning

Yes sir but many life hacks say its good for cleaning as well

Oh yes! this is my number 1 tool for the job

sure, then your PC with be covered in slippery oil that will pick up every piece of dirt in the future

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/mechanics-corner/85149-why-not-use-wd-40-your-electrical-system.html

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

to both of you My PC is currently running at the moment without any damage

Been on for 9h now, ran a few bench marks to push max load on her to test. No damage no burning

Teach me your ways, strange dragon! 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

sure, then your PC with be covered in slippery oil that will pick up every piece of dirt in the future

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/mechanics-corner/85149-why-not-use-wd-40-your-electrical-system.html

Ahh.... you might be right there however i run a clean of my computer often so that dose not affect me as badly

Teach me your ways, strange dragon! 

Of corse follow me into the closet and we will go to the land of narnia where i can teach you every thing you need to know!!!

But, it was ether clean stuff off with WD40 or risk paying for another gpu, motherboard, and ram... which currently i just havent got the money for

Suprisingly the fans are quieter so thats a plus side

WD40 is a water displacement and lubrication solution... It's not going to help with a liquid spillage on a component. 

WD40 is a water displacement and lubrication solution... It's not going to help with a liquid spillage on a component. 

Well it helped me

Well it helped me

How?

You used lubricant to clean pc components?

Time to get out the isopropyl and clean all that shit off. 

Really? I'll try that, those damn stickers have some minutes left on their sticky lives! :D

Really? I'll try that, those damn stickers have some minutes left on their sticky lives! :D

yep, use it all the time on the cases of my second hand games and also once my small screwdrivers set.

Works best if you try to tear off the sticker first and after that use plenty of WD40 and rub on it with a towel or something

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

use alcohol instead

WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT

It's a water displacer/weak solvent

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Spoiler

WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT

not so sure about that

http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

The amount of lubrication as an oil that WD-40 provides is a joke. It's main (and only useful) purpose is to displace water (WD) and break down crap. It's sortve a jack of all trades as a poor lubricant and poor penatrating oil. It's good when it comes to rust removal/protection because it displaces water. It's a water displacer and the amount of lubrication it provides is laughable

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you've ever been in a garage you'd know that WD-40 is garbage as a lubricant. If you would read outside of the context you chose, you'd see that this lubricant is to allow the substance to penatrate crevices. If you consider WD-40 a good lubricant, then so is any penetrating oil

"These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; removing dirt and residue, and extricating stuck screws and bolts are common usages, and it also loosens stubborn zippers. It is also useful in displacing moisture"