Do your parents/family demand admin access, and if so do they deserve it?

asim1999

I was reading the Non-Techies thread and a lot of parents apparently have admin rights, when they dont deserve it. 

Do your parents demand admin rights, and do you think they deserve it.

Mine do, and i dont know why. They use outdated PCs and never use my rig. They constantly pester me for tech support for the most basic things.

I will always deny them admin access as i am the one who built and maintains the desktop. My mum has a restricted user account BTW.

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

1. Yes.

2. No.

I don't give it to them anyways. When I first got my PC they demanded it. They forgot and haven't discussed it since.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

My parents don't even know admin access  :P

I'm good, still in one piece.

But if they do know, I think I wouldn't give them admin access, because I'm afraid that they'll install something that can make the OS unstable.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I don't know why I wouldn't give it to them, can't do much damage, they don't know how...

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

My Dad: What is PC?

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

No

No

My parents wouldnt care anyway, what am I doing thats so bad that they would need to monitor?

Btw, link a Strawpoll or add in a poll to the thread.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

They not only they demanded admin rights to all of MY PCs, claiming that they were theirs because I lived with them, even though I earned the monye for them myself, but changed passwords and f****d any PC settigs up whenever they felt like it. Which is one of the reasons why I got a job and moved elswhere and now live by myself

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

We all have our own Computers. I don't use a password on mine, because I have no reason to.

My parents don't have Admin access to my computer and I don't see why they would it's almost always left on. They don't have a reason to use my computer they each have their own. 

Most of computing consumption is Skyping with friends, gaming, Learning and foruming. Not for them to look for when all of that is open on my computer 24/7

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I give them admin access, My dad is sensable enough to use it, And my mom is too careful to f*ck shit up.

My mom want help sometimes, But it is mainly on how to use Avast(She mainly uses it for social media), And my dad doesnt need help, He is fairly good with computers.

They dont have admin access to my computer, but they have not asked for it. The only one who knows the password to my computer is my youngest brother. He is sensable enough to not give it out, And i trust him to not fuck it up.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Depends on your age, I am 34 and not living with my parents. If on the extreme chance they would ask they would have to have one very good reason to do so. Most of my pc's have restricted information on them so if they were to get on them with an admin password I would have to be there to censor what they access anyhow.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Are you talking about your own computer or a family computer?

Of course on my own computer I would deny the rights, just because I don't want them to mess things up.

On our family computer I know my dad is an admin as he knows a fair amount about computers and set it up (I don't even use it any more), but I don't know if my mum is an admin or not.

yes, my mother thinks that its 100% required for the cosmos to even continue functioning. 

you know the answer to the second question. 

i changed the password from leanontheLord to leanontheLeonard 

i garuntee you that bullshit password change will still be too hard for her to figure out. 

also on my new PC im going to try and figure out a way to get it so in order to login you need to type username and password while a bunch of fake terminal jargon is going on screen. 

that'll stop 100% of non-techies and 50% of techies because its not a very popular thing, and most would assume to just wait or restart. 

also i figured out her password for all her email accounts and other sites. she uses the same one everywhere. and its a terrible one. someone half my IQ and experience could figure it out. 

why?

its written on a sticky note on the wall next to where she keeps her laptop.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

@SkywardKkalox: Nope :D just have 16000Kbit/s and my mother draws more than half of that... 

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

My Mum was the one who had me using DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 when I was around 3-4 years old, so no and yes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My dad is an old fashioned techie, so he knows what's up (and tries so hard to keep up :)). He has his own PC (built by me) and he has full admin on that. My mother on the other hand... We both wouldn't dare to give her any kind of advanced rights :P

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Yes and no.

Yes because they're afraid i might mess with the settings, and no for that same exact reason.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Lol you have to share PC's. I'd never allow that. 

When I share my PC, I'll make another user as "Standard".

When they ask for admin's permission I'll be like...

g1377032210992151440.jpg

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

If my dad wants to use my pc, I'll let him use my account. I trust him that he won't mess my computer up, because he's been using computers for the past 20+ years. As for my mum, she never uses my computers only her phone for Skype, Facebook, YouTube and so on.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

My mother's laptop died once, so she had to use my PC to pay bills. I made her use the guest account :P

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

As much as I love and appreciate my parents, my laptop is legally mine. I'm at liberty to use it, protect it and administer it as I see fit. They've not asked for admin access for years, mostly because my dad forgets all his passwords anyway.