Do your parents/family demand admin access, and if so do they deserve it?

asim1999

If they demand it.

I make them enable it.

When I was younger, my mom thought that when I had my hand on the mouse when she walked in I was trying to quickly hide something when really I was clicking away at a website before she even walked in. She also criticized me for always clearing my history to free up space on my hard drive as if that's not what I was really intending and even for using a password for my computer.

No one in the entire world deletes their browsing history to free up space. No one.

I don't have kids but yeah I'd have admin access. I don't know if I'd use it depending on how responsible they are when they're older but you're damn right ill have access. If they want to play tough ill just wipe the hard drive.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If they know they aren't an administrator and cant tell the difference, just tell them they are admin and don't deserve to be one. If they can, they probably can do it themselves.

EDIT: Personally I just prevent them from installing stuff.

Processor : i7-6700k (stock speed)

Cooler : Hyper 212X

Motherboard: MSI Krait Gaming Z170

RAM : 4x4gb LPX Memory

Boot Device : Samsung 860 EVO

GPU : ZOTAC 1070 Extreme

PSU :Antec HCG-620M

Depends, though mostly I don't. I control all of the admin rights but at the same time if my parents ask to see something I don't hold it back, as long as it's not anything personal like emails or Facebook

The machine I built for my parents has admin access since I don't want to deal with the error messages when new updates of silverlight, flash, firefox, and windows updates get auto-installed when I'm not there. Oracle still hasn't figured out a silent background installer for java yet but thankfully they don't have any apps that use java. VLC is another manual install as well. MS Essentials is doing the best it can and the most they get to malware exposure is yahoo mail, but not entirely worried since both yahoo and firefox have built-in malware (and malware-site) detection.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

My mom has a laptop. That's all. There's a reason she's never even used my PC even once

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I'm looking forward to the posts when you lot have kids and want to lock down everything on their machines.

Who says we even want kids?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

No, because well neither of my parents use a computer. Dad has an iPad which he barely uses. Mum used a computer at work in a limited way because there was one task she had to use it for as part of her job as a nurse.

I don't have a password on my PC, I do on my HTPC though because remote desktop is stupid. But I have it set to auto login anyway.

I have a password on my PC, we LAN quite often, whoever doesn't have a password gets pranked in someway.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

my parents do not care for some reason, they do know my password sometimes but I change it often anyways.

As much as I love and appreciate my parents, my laptop is legally mine. I'm at liberty to use it, protect it and administer it as I see fit. They've not asked for admin access for years, mostly because my dad forgets all his passwords anyway.

I wish it worked like that, in the US anyway, your property is really your parents property, they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

I wish it worked like that, in the US anyway, your property is really your parents property, they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

I would question that in juvenile court. Let's say you're working at Arby's at 16 and have the pay-stubs proving you have income and bought the laptop on a prepaid card that you bought with your Arby's money. It's different when who's paying for internet access but physical access to the kid's property going to get really fuzzy, really fast.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

I would question that in juvenile court. Let's say you're working at Arby's at 16 and have the pay-stubs proving you have income and bought the laptop on a prepaid card that you bought with your Arby's money. It's different when who's paying for internet access but physical access to some kid's property going to get really fuzzy, really fast.

yes, but for some reason that is how it works, even if you have a job and payed for it yourself, if you are under 18 they own all of your shit

>18

post-77647-0-20818000-1437536185.jpg

It's mine...

my own...

my precioussss...

yes, but for some reason that is how it works, even if you have a job and payed for it yourself, if you are under 18 they own all of your shit

Well if that's the case then parents can just flip whatever their kids buy since the claim stands its the parents' property. If there's funny business like that going on, I would even call that exploitation of a minor.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

My daughter will be giving me administration access if she doesn't want to loose everything she has installed when I build her a computer. I will give her administration access too but my house, my ability to randomly checkup on you. When she goes to college I don't want administration access. I don't want to know past a certain age.

Nope they don't demand admin access, and honestly even if they did they probably wouldn't get it.

Though I have taken control of our wireless router :P (Set the admin access password to one they don't know, and also configured it so only my computer can access the admin panel lol)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

No one in the entire world deletes their browsing history to free up space. No one.

I do.

Don't have anything in my browsing history to hide, but I still clean it out every now and then anyways.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

My parents demanded that I give them admin access AND make sure that I have Microsoft parental controls on. They're not the most tech savvy, but they knew how to verify this. So I did have that for a few days.

That changed real quick.

I figured out my little brother's password to his laptop and changed my email password to that (set up 2 step authentication so he couldn't hi-jack it) and changed his account to my email account. He never noticed the difference, and has parental controls on his laptop now that tell my parents what websites he visits. So as far as I'm concerned, it's fine, cause they don't get any alerts that I've been on all those adult sites since he's too young for that. 

As for admin access, they demanded it so early on that wiping and installing windows with me as the admin was no problem.

Crisis averted! (New crisis will arise when he gets older, but whatever. That's a couple years away at least, and I'll change that before I go off to university in a year.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

I do.

Don't have anything in my browsing history to hide, but I still clean it out every now and then anyways.

Ya alright but every now and then isn't nearly the same as "always" read as every session.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I don't even give them our WiFi-password...

Haha me too.

When I was a kid/young teen, my mom insisted on having the password if she knew a computer had a password lock (which was easy because I used one of our common passwords anyway) - but she never used it and that quickly faded.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

My dad's a computer science major. If I cant trust him with admin access then he finds a way around it

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace