How much VRAM do you think that future games will use?

MajorVegas

I'm planning on buying a high-end graphics card (see my previous posts for more details). I've determined that I would like either a Titan X or a 980ti (Asus Strix or EVGA ACX). Money isn't an issue.

However I am noticing most people recommend a 980ti for people seeking a high-end graphics card. Looking from a pure objective standpoint, when the 780ti came out everyone recommended those. However, currently the 780ti doesn't have a lot of vram/enough vram for highly textured games. So Titan blacks lasted/will last a bit longer.

TL;DR:

What would you get if money wasn't a problem?

How much VRAM do you think that future resource demanding games will use (within the next 2-4 years)

If you want to explain your rationale behind your answer please do so, I'd appreciate it. 

EDIT:

I mean VRAM not RAM, I think I'll be ok for now on RAM

PUSH IT TO THE LIMITalso the 980ti has better cooling and you can OC higher

Case: Fractal Design R4 (x2 Noctua 140mm Fans, x2 Fractal Design Fans)            Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.2GHz (Hyper 212 Evo)             Audioengine A5+ Black Speakers

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3                                           Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC                                               Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Red

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4X4GB DDR3-1600                                                     Power Supply: OCZ Z-Series Semi Modular Gold 850W                 ASUS & LG 21.5 Monitor (Dual monitor arm)

Well some games now use almost a full 8 when being ran if the settings are high and the game is demanding. Id say that having 16GB will be a safe bet for the future and will eventually become a gaming PC standard.

EDIT: FUCK M8 I THOUGHT YOU MEANT SYSTEM RAM WTF

Aight but nah, 4GB for right now is good for 1080p, 1440p is nice w/ 6GB, anything above that should e 6GB+.

All depends on games and how demanding they are along with mods, textures, good port vs bad port, etc. Too soon to really tell.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Depends on resolution, 1080P probably not more than 6, 1440P probably not more than, 4K probably 12 or more. Deprnds on resolution, game, and mods.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Well in the last 4 years the standard has gone from 2 gb of vram to 4.  I expect in the next 4 years it will go from 4 to 8.  However, if don't plan on going higher than 1440p 6 gb of vram will be more than enough until then.  4k seems kind of pointless to me, personally.  I would rather have my settings at ultra and 60 fps than medium settings and 30 fps, but slightly better clarity.

i guess u mean VRAM...i think u still will be fine with 4GB of Vram.. except for some AAA title like GTA 6 :) but well i voted for 8 cause u know, more is always better  B)

(Before I go to bed, midnight here)

Many people pointing to the 980ti, seems like a good card, probably going to wait until I see what the strix does I guess. Need a graphics card, I am without. However the amount of Vram some people are voting/saying leads me otherwise.

Well my balls ain't be made of crystal so I have no idea, you can still stare into then if you want to.

Many people pointing to the 980ti, seems like a good card, probably going to wait until I see what the strix does I guess. Need a graphics card, I am without. However the amount of Vram some people are voting/saying leads me otherwise.

1080p still run's on 2gb with room to spare, it all depends on resolution.

4gb is more than enough for the next 10 years if you are running 1080p probably lol.  I would say 4 years at 1440p easily.  Don't be so worrisome, it really isn't going to shoot up like you think.  System memory has plateaued in the last 5 years.  The same thing could happen with vram. There really is no performance increase by buying a Titan.  It would be foolish.

6 or 8 gigabytes might be standard in 4 years, but that doesn't mean it is going to be needed.  Ram has always been something that they put a lot more than you need so the card remains good well into the future.  Right now 4 gig's is standard, and will last well into the future.  6 gigs is overkill right now unless you plan on doing 4k.

I'm going to be playing at 4k. I could just downscale to 1440p if needed, but I still feel that more than 6gb VRAM is going to be needed. So I suppose I'm conflicted

Does anyone know if DX12 actually lets you combine VRAM of 2 cards or was that a myth that was debunked? 

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1186?vs=1072

This is the source of the VRAM issue that I'm having. Many people bought 780tis, now they don't have enough VRAM to play certain AAA games. I feel that this trend may continue. Honestly wouldn't mind paying the extra 350$ or whatever for a year or 2 extra longevity, I have a 100$ coupon to my local fry's anyway and 250$ is like a drop in the bucket for me. 

It really depends on the resolution you want to play at and what settings you prefer. If you play at low resolutions or don't mind turning details down then even 3gb at 4k will be OK. However if you want to turn settings up then you still need more vram. I think 6gb is the right amount for now but if money isn't an issue I would definitely buy a Titan X. I have 2 780ti's in sli for 4k gaming and I definitely regret not buying Titan blacks instead.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Hahahahaha! Nothing will change the next 2-4 years!

Consoles will stay the same, meaning console ports will stay the same, meaning VRAM usage will stay the same!

It really depends on the resolution you want to play at and what settings you prefer. If you play at low resolutions or don't mind turning details down then even 3gb at 4k will be OK. However if you want to turn settings up then you still need more vram. I think 6gb is the right amount for now but if money isn't an issue I would definitely buy a Titan X. I have 2 780ti's in sli for 4k gaming and I definitely regret not buying Titan blacks instead.

Thanks, I'm consulting others on this as we speak, this is the problem that I'm having with the 980ti. I want to eventually play 4k at a decent frame rate and not worry about hitting the ceiling when it comes to VRAM. 

Consoles will stay the same, meaning console ports will stay the same, meaning VRAM usage will stay the same!

Sick burn bro. 

5-6 GB for 1440p in 2 years time.

i would get a 390X or a HBM Gen 2 card. Preferably from AMD as they will have some real world experience with the HBM tech while Nvidia will A overprice Pascal wildly, and B, not have actual in market experience with how it works.

Yeah... no. The 290x 4GB launched in october 2013, 8 times more ram than the ps3 and Xbox 360. Not counting the system memory, which would be 8GB minimum if you could afford a 290x at launch. 2 Years later, consoles memory technology is on it's last year, we are getting cards with 6 and 8GB memory and come HBM2 we could very well be getting 16GB versions of high end graphics cards.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

5-6 GB for 1440p in 2 years time.

i would get a 390X or a HBM Gen 2 card. Preferably from AMD as they will have some real world experience with the HBM tech while Nvidia will A overprice Pascal wildly, and B, not have actual in market experience with how it works.

I need a graphics card now, so it's hard to wait for AMD to either sort the Fury problems they are having (same VRAM problem applies) or for Nvidia to implement it. 

It's so hard not being able to play those glorious games you bought during the steam sale. 

I need a graphics card now, so it's hard to wait for AMD to either sort the Fury problems they are having (same VRAM problem applies) or for Nvidia to implement it. 

It's so hard not being able to play those glorious games you bought during the steam sale. 

since you said money is no issue get the 980 Ti. 

since you said money is no issue get the 980 Ti. 

What are your thoughts on future VRAM usage though? If I can afford a Titan X (possibly 2) shouldn't I just jump to that for the extra VRAM? I don't mind paying the extra bit of cash on a bit of extra VRAM

I would say 5GB will be the max at 1080p, at which point a 980Ti will be running games at 12FPS Ultra.

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

If I ever have the money, skill, and resources to make the game I'd like to make, 10+

Sadly we'll need quantum CPU using servers to run the online portion of it. Might be a while lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs