How much VRAM do you think that future games will use?

MajorVegas

If I ever have the money, skill, and resources to make the game I'd like to make, 10+

Sadly we'll need quantum CPU using servers to run the online portion of it. Might be a while lol

So you think that future games will run at ~10 gb VRAM?

That's gunna be a while lol. One day I'll boot up my custom PC with a Intel Atom Smasher and a Nvidia/AMD graphics particle accelerator and smile. Mean while the peasants will probably be still playing their x1's and ps4's. 

What are your thoughts on future VRAM usage though? If I can afford a Titan X (possibly 2) shouldn't I just jump to that for the extra VRAM? I don't mind paying the extra bit of cash on a bit of extra VRAM

When Pascal comes out next year Maxwell gpus will be obsolete and everyone will upgrade to 4k. Unless you need that 12GB of VRAM right now there is really no point in getting the Titan X. 

End thread.

Bought a Titan X. 

Got a hole burning in my pocket. 

Gambling roughly 250$ that the games market will use more than 6 gb VRAM in the next 2-4 years. Could be wrong, who cares. 

End thread.

Bought a Titan X. 

Gambling roughly 250$ that the games market will use more than 6 gb VRAM in the next 2-4 years. Could be wrong, who cares. 

bad gamble man.

980 Ti OCs to the same level and even beats a Titan X often. 

You'll need an aftermarket cooling solution on the Titan X to squeeze more performance out of it. 

Next year Pascal will make you 4k jelly and you'll want to upgrade anyways. 

bad gamble man.

980 Ti OCs to the same level and even beats a Titan X often. 

You'll need an aftermarket cooling solution on the Titan X to squeeze more performance out of it. 

Next year Pascal will make you 4k jelly and you'll want to upgrade anyways. 

Ehh, I'll make it back in a bit

Not planning on OCing anything anyway, not my style. 

if the Pascal generation is that good I'll throw the titan in my HTPC

End thread.

Bought a Titan X. 

Thats what I did.   Not sorry about it either.   Had the 780 and like everyone else (performance of Titan for less).  I found out how less last November.   VRAM not enough.

You can buy a EVGA water cooler for it.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=400-HY-0990-B1

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

The poll is missing resolution, and only includes 2 Graphic card choices. My spiderman senses are tingling.. no wait, that's my BS detector.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Almost 50% more expensive for literally 0 difference in performance difference because of a worry that we might possibly use more vram than what is already considered overkill to begin with.  Smh...

If money isn't an issue I don't see the problem with getting a Titan X. It's still the single best gpu available right now and when games eat up the vram in 4k or multi-monitor 1440p with special texture packs, mods, or antialiasing, the performance won't tank when the game exceeds 6gb or even 8gb of frame buffer. Even when pascal launches I doubt the performance will be that much better than the Titan X. It will be very similar to the jump from Titan Black to Titan X.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

If money isn't an issue I don't see the problem with getting a Titan X. It's still the single best gpu available right now and when games eat up the vram in 4k or multi-monitor 1440p with special texture packs, mods, or antialiasing, the performance won't tank when the game exceeds 6gb or even 8gb of frame buffer. Even when pascal launches I doubt the performance will be that much better than the Titan X. It will be very similar to the jump from Titan Black to Titan X.

Anyone who uses AA on a 4k monitor should be ostracized.

Anyone who uses AA on a 4k monitor should be ostracized.

On some games I can max the settings and play 4k with MSAA 2x and sometimes 4x and still get over 60fps. Like borderlands, metro redux, bioshock infinite, and certain indie games.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

On some games I can max the settings and play 4k with MSAA 2x and sometimes 4x and still get over 60fps. Like borderlands, metro redux, bioshock infinite, and certain indie games.

What size is the screen?  I'm at 1440p 27" and very few games actually need AA. With 4k I doubt you would need any AA on a 27-32" screen. Maybe if you have a 40"+ TV you'd want FXAA or 2x MFAA (MSAA).

negative. Titan X will be junk when the Titan Y comes out. Pascal will be a die shrink 2x and HBM VRAM upgrade. I think it's safe to expect a 50% performance increase. 

I don't understand. Why are you giving your Graphic card box the middle finger? What did it do to you? and why is my name written on the box, is it a  present?

gallery_62868_1880_249745.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The poll is missing resolution, and only includes 2 Graphic card choices. My spiderman senses are tingling.. no wait, that's my BS detector.

I don't understand. Why are you giving your Graphic card box the middle finger? What did it do to you? and why is my name written on the box, is it a  present?

You're trying to say something about me BSing people. If its about the 2 graphics card choices, check again I said that if there is another card you would get, list it in the comments. If it's about resolution, that's for you to decide, I don't think it matters all that much VRAM has been increasing in most games, I wanted the average opinion on what YOU thought it would be. Resolution is arbitrary in this question

or

You're saying that I'm BSing people. Telling people that I'm not buying either card for whatever reason (I think I can sympathize with this one but still).