Why is everyone upset that AMD only launched 4 new cards?

Thor829

answer me this. 

if a brand new badass car just came out, and it had the same engine as the last two models did, would you be upset? the engine preforms amazing still. the car has a lighter chassis and is more earodynamic (i know its spelled wrong) so whats to complain about? they didnt say it was a new engine just a new car. 

this is all AMD is doing. 

its the same engine, or same type atleast, in a new chassis with a new tiny preformance improvement because of some minor tweaks. 

ontop of that AMD is about to release thier new ferrari fury cards. (haha..... jokes. :P

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Unrelated: Is R9 380 a rebrand? The price point really attracts me...

EDIT: Just seen someone say it isn't a rebrand

Unrelated: Is R9 380 a rebrand? The price point really attracts me...

EDIT: Just seen someone say it isn't a rebrand

i THINK its an unlocked 290/290x. 

like theres some TDP improvements if its a massive unlock. 

IDK all i know is its sexy AF and i want one. 

ofcourse i want the top tier fury but whatever. >.> 

EDIT: i dont know much about the scenario myself, as it doesn concern me. i'll never be able to afford the new cards anytime soon. my 7870Ghz Ed and its 2 gig frame buffer is more than enough for me. i play in windowed mode on a 1366x768 monitor. xD 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I've seen the NCIX video where they say it's going to be 199, so IDC if it's a rebrand if it performs good lol...

I've seen the NCIX video where they say it's going to be 199, so IDC if it's a rebrand if it performs good lol...

The 380 is close to the 285 the 390 and the 390x are updated 290's 

Wasn't this the case for the OEM cards that manufacturers like HP and Dell were going to use in their prebuilt systems for: "the ultimate unmatched gaming experience" or some BS? I think we still don't have enough info on these cards, but, it's still a good deal I guess.

Because if nvida didn't have another brand to lower prices for we would be paying $5000 for a gtx 960 and $10000 for a gtx 980 ti ;) I'm just happy there sticking in there for us nvidia users :) even if they "think" there keeping up here comes the gtx 990 yay for amd!

I'm very excited about the top tier Fury cards. I'm not excited about the 300 series of cards as the power consumption will not have changed from last gen. And let's be honest it wasn't great then. Good on them for releasing more than a single top tier card in their new line up. I just wish they had more competitive options down the line that competes in the perf per watt market.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

Because 90% of the lineup are the same cards as the Radeon HD 7XXX series, but some have so much VRAM it doesn't even make sense *cough* 390x *cough*?

Fixed

P.S People don't seem to listen to themselves and follow what other people think to fit in.

Ever heard the saying, don't fix what isn't broken?

So why shouldn't that apply here?

Because if nvida didn't have another brand to lower prices for we would be paying $5000 for a gtx 960 and $10000 for a gtx 980 ti ;) I'm just happy there sticking in there for us nvidia users :) even if they "think" there keeping up here comes the gtx 990 yay for amd!

are you just saying AMD will never be able to compete? >_> 

i think its been made clear Intel and Nvidia have said they wont make things more expensive i AMD goes under. 

what will happen is they will slow down improvements. 

-Jim Hensen

answer me this. 

if a brand new badass car just came out, and it had the same engine as the last two models did, would you be upset? the engine preforms amazing still. the car has a lighter chassis and is more earodynamic (i know its spelled wrong) so whats to complain about? they didnt say it was a new engine just a new car. 

this is all AMD is doing. 

its the same engine, or same type atleast, in a new chassis with a new tiny preformance improvement because of some minor tweaks. 

ontop of that AMD is about to release thier new ferrari fury cards. (haha..... jokes. :P

You've basically just described the entire Automotive sector strategy for yearly releases. Ford or Toyota (examples only) will basically make the exact same car with very minor tweaks or differences for 3-5 years in a row, and people don't have a problem with that. Only a few times a decade does a new year of a model actually change the fundamental engineering with a new engine, etc.

EDIT: i dont know much about the scenario myself, as it doesn concern me. i'll never be able to afford the new cards anytime soon. my 7870Ghz Ed and its 2 gig frame buffer is more than enough for me. i play in windowed mode on a 1366x768 monitor. xD 

The 380 is based on the Tonga GPU, which was originally seen in the 285. Basically the 380 appears to be a slightly modified 285 with 2GB or 4GB. The 4GB configuration of the 380 is pretty exciting to be honest! So far, AMD has not released any details about a possible 380x. I expect a fully unlocked Tonga w/ 4GB to be announced within 6 months.

the R9 380 is a tonga gbu so it would be the same as a 285 but with new features and more memory.

Yeah this.

Agreed.

Huh? Either you're trolling, or you're an actual fanboy.

Even if NVIDIA releases a "GTX 990" or "Titan X dual GPU" card, it would likely be similarly competitive to a Fury X dual GPU card while costing twice as much.

Face it, Fury looks like it knocked it out of the park. They didn't just keep up, they blew NVIDIA away. Slightly higher than Titan X performance at $350 cheaper? Are you kidding? AMD nailed it.

The one thing to see still, is the impact of 4GB of HBM vs the 6/12GB of the 980 Ti/Titan X in gaming scenarios. I'm also interested in seeing if AMD does an HBM 2.0 8GB refresh of the Fury cards in 3-6 months. Even if 4GB HBM is perfectly adequate, some people will still buy a 980 Ti because "bigger means better", regardless of what benchmarks prove.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well if you think about it when they released the gtx 980 ti they droped the price of the 980 and 970 they milk us for all were worth trust me it's how they roll get everyone to pay shit loads for something they have a better version of probably sitting in there labs waiting for that day they need it because amd is getting to close to there bench marks n they mite lose there customers.

So mainly just blind hate is what I'm getting here? 

Of course it is. 

AMD is for the poor, hur hur.

/s

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Of course it is. 

AMD is for poor people, hur hur.

/notS 

fixed it for you

gotta see things in your bathroom with a ''powered by ATI'' stickers everywhere. 

-Jim Hensen

fixed it for you

gotta see things in your bathroom with a ''powered by ATI'' stickers everywhere. 

How did you know that it was bait all along?

RIP in pieces ATi. Made good toiletries. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I didn't know people were mad about what AMD is doing, to be honest. I thought we were all giddy waiting for FuryX2 reviews and benchmarks, and wondering if the Fury / Fury X will compete with the Titan X / 980 Ti. The 290x still beats the 970, so if the new card is just as good, but with more VRAM, and at a same, or similar price, you can't really go wrong there. 

Sigh. Because they are straight rebrands without even a update to gcn. And amd only released one new gpu. The "four" of them are all the same chip.

Meanwhile we now have GM206/GM204/GM200/GM208/GM108/GM107 from nvidia. Yea same generation we get 6 new gpu aritchectures from nvidia and only one from amd. Are we not supposed to be annoyed?

This also straight up let's us know that amd cannot even come close to competing with nvidia in even the medium term which is extremely depressing.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

correct me if i am wrong, but isnt GM204 and 206 just cut down and modified versions of the GM200 chip in the TitanX?? Or was it the other way around with 200 and 204 being cut down 206...

Nvidia doesnt make NEW SETUPS, they just make a "master" version (titan) then brings forth the silicone manufacturers equivalent to a hacksaw and shave things down to get different tiers of GPUs. After all, the entire 900 series is MAXWELL, just like AMD uses Hawaii or Tonga or Fury. Except AMD seem to make one or two types, then decide to go by binning it seems. selling higher quality as higher tier cards, and lower quality as lower tier cards (basically, non X or X).

If you think Nvidia really make several architectures and different GPUs for different cards, tehn you are blind. They just nerf their strongest setup enough to call it something else.

I'm just excited to see what Nvidia has in response. :) AMD to me is only useful to keep Nvidia in check. If only Intel would enter the dGPU market. <_<

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Some of it is just people misunderstanding the new release platform. Especially those who aren't following it closely.

Some of it is fanboys - especially those of the green side, who might feel threatened or just get a "thrill" from putting down AMD.

And some of it is just from disgruntled gamers who feel "upset" that they're reusing old technology - despite that technology still being perfectly good, and competitive with similarly priced NVIDIA offerings.

And some of it is people thinking that changing the name, adding nearly $200 onto the price and not being open about what the product actually is pretty anti consumer and deserves to be called out. But yeah, why release a new product when you can merely trick people into thinking you have released a new product and you can get the suckers to pay new-product prices as well!?

And some of it is people thinking that changing the name, adding nearly $200 onto the price and not being open about what the product actually is pretty anti consumer and deserves to be called out. But yeah, why release a new product when you can merely trick people into thinking you have released a new product and you can get the suckers to pay new-product prices as well!?

I mean. They're pretty open about the rebrand thing. They've talked about it long and large. 

And really what's the point if half the lineup is still better than the competitor? AMD was docked for not competing at the top tier since 7970 and now they retook the crown (if the benchmarks are to be trusted).

It's all well and nice to release new cards but if it's to be pointless garbage like the GTX960 than there's no point. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

fury x is such beast mode..makes me want one but realisticly ill just get 390x or something

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

Because NVIDIA actually released stuff that improves performance by significant margins.

No they didn't.

960 is marginally better than the 760.

970 is marginally better than the 780

980 is marginally better than 780Ti.

Don't let the keppling fool you, in games released when the cards came out benefits were very minor. With the latest driver that supposedly boosted Kepler's performance, people were reporting 15-20 FPS increases in games like Witcher 3 after Nvidia stopped gimping them. (Incidentally bringing those cards on par with their Maxwell equivalents.)

The only thing I could say here is about the last part, as a gamer Im kinda let down. I mean lets be honest, we all were hoping for AMD to finally pull through and deliver some really good stuff, and they just didnt :( We always want new and more powerful and they didnt really give that.

Sure the hardware is still good and viable, but its not new :(

Fiji is entirely new.  Full tonga is new.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Sigh. Because they are straight rebrands without even a update to gcn. And amd only released one new gpu. The "four" of them are all the same chip.

Meanwhile we now have GM206/GM204/GM200/GM208/GM108/GM107 from nvidia. Yea same generation we get 6 new gpu aritchectures from nvidia and only one from amd. Are we not supposed to be annoyed?

This also straight up let's us know that amd cannot even come close to competing with nvidia in even the medium term which is extremely depressing.

Well alright, let's analyze this.

First, HALF of those are Mobile GPU's. AMD hasn't even announced any new dedicated mobile GPU's - not that they offer very many to begin with, since they generally go APU route at that point - and Carrizo is fully GCN 1.2 architecture (Same as Tonga/Fiji). If you count the iGPU's in Carrizo, then there are... ~4 additional GPU's there.

Next, it's kind of funny that NVIDIA made all those chips, and by-and-large, AMD still competes with all of them, using mostly old technology, aside from Tonga/Fiji.

FYI, that's not "six new GPU architectures". It's six new GPU's. They all use the same architecture - Maxwell.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)