Why is everyone upset that AMD only launched 4 new cards?

Thor829

And some of it is people thinking that changing the name, adding nearly $200 onto the price and not being open about what the product actually is pretty anti consumer and deserves to be called out. But yeah, why release a new product when you can merely trick people into thinking you have released a new product and you can get the suckers to pay new-product prices as well!?

I don't think AMD is being particularly "sneaky" or anti-consumer with their rebrands. Certainly no more so than NVIDIA does with their rebrands.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

the new 300 series is just modded rebrand but i still wish they made good drivers like nvidia but still exited for the new amd 300 series 

Cpu: Intel i7-5820k at 4.6 Ghz // Motherboard: Asus X99 Pro // Ram: 32gb of Crucial Balistix at 2400 Mhz // Gpu: GTX 1080 Founders Edtion // SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250gb, Samsung 950 pro 256 gb, // Cooler: Cooler Master ml240r // Case: NZXT h500i 

Because 90% of the lineup are the same cards as the 200 series, but some have so much VRAM it doesn't even make sense *cough* 390x *cough*?

Not to mention that this is not even a new thing. There were versions of the 290X with 8GB VRAM long before the 390X was announced. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

whats wrong with a 8gb 390x? if you crossfired two of them that 8gb would come in handy im sure

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

I don't think AMD is being particularly "sneaky" or anti-consumer with their rebrands. Certainly no more so than NVIDIA does with their rebrands.

When was the last time Nvidia's entire generation bar the Titan was a rebrand?

Also can we just get rid of this false dichotomy that just because I hate something AMD does that I automatically love Nvidia? That is anti-consumer in itself, if you're trying to force me to pick a side just because company X of the day has done something shitty in the last week. Fanboyism only hurts the consumer.

I mean. They're pretty open about the rebrand thing. They've talked about it long and large. 

And really what's the point if half the lineup is still better than the competitor? AMD was docked for not competing at the top tier since 7970 and now they retook the crown (if the benchmarks are to be trusted).

It's all well and nice to release new cards but if it's to be pointless garbage like the GTX960 than there's no point. 

Post a source in which AMD state outright that the 390X is a rebranded 290X. The 7970 was a good card, yes. And like the 290X, it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the new version with different numbers painted on the box.

But you know if you like paying $180 more for the exact same thing without the manufacturer actually telling you it's the exact same thing by all means carry on arguing. It's only yourself and other AMD customers you're hurting.

The GTX 960 is no more "pointless garbage" than the 285 it is near identical to, which lives on as the 380X. This rebrand is less bad, really, because that card isn't a year old yet. It's also rumoured to be more enabled than the 285 so that would be interesting if true.

When was the last time Nvidia's entire generation bar the Titan was a rebrand?

Also can we just get rid of this false dichotomy that just because I hate something AMD does that I automatically love Nvidia? That is anti-consumer in itself, if you're trying to force me to pick a side just because company X of the day has done something shitty in the last week. Fanboyism only hurts the consumer.

Post a source in which AMD state outright that the 390X is a rebranded 290X. The 7970 was a good card, yes. And like the 290X, it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the new version with different numbers painted on the box.

But you know if you like paying $180 more for the exact same thing without the manufacturer actually telling you it's the exact same thing by all means carry on arguing. It's only yourself and other AMD customers you're hurting.

The GTX 960 is no more "pointless garbage" than the 285 it is near identical to, which lives on as the 380X. This rebrand is less bad, really, because that card isn't a year old yet. It's also rumoured to be more enabled than the 285 so that would be interesting if true.

<<other AMD customers>>

Mate look at my build, I literally possess nothing AMD.  Are they hiding they're rebrands? Absolutely not and everybody knows this. The only people who don't know this don't know what a rebrand is or could care less.

I really don't get why you would think making <<new cards>> who aren't really better (or have been worse than 2X gen rebrand cards) is actually somehow <<better>>. The only bottom line that should matter is price/perfomance. OFC the 390X is a bad buy but that's like 1 card in a whole lineup. 960 is awful and nobody goes on ranting about it and getting sour over it. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Well i will be going 290x at some point, 390 is not worth it or the 390x.

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

my question is if AMD employs some of the most talented and brilliant scientist in their lab to work on developing the new waves of cards and technology, why didn;t anyone one of them say "hey! these people are gonna rip our product apart and peel away the insides and see its gonna be almost teh same as our old cards! why feed them trolls?"

like maybe for cost reasons yeah use the same pcb board and some chips and what not but if the company knows its just rebranding the R7,8 and 9 series why would they dump so much $ and energy in repackaging and reselling it all? Has to be new tech and up to date. Like someone said above before-

2012 Camaro V8 with18" rims

2013 Camaro V8 with 19" rims

same thing just a minor cosmetic boost?

maybe it sounded better in my head... I am excited for the new AMD wave. was team red for years cause I never had a driver or hardware issue with them. ever. But the way the internet is these days its REAL HARD to bullshit the public on anything and anyone can dig up any info on a person or item in minutes. Common knowledge. So why would AMD go through the trouble if the feed back was gonna be shit?

my question is if AMD employs some of the most talented and brilliant scientist in their lab to work on developing the new waves of cards and technology, why didn;t anyone one of them say "hey! these people are gonna rip our product apart and peel away the insides and see its gonna be almost teh same as our old cards! why feed them trolls?"

like maybe for cost reasons yeah use the same pcb board and some chips and what not but if the company knows its just rebranding the R7,8 and 9 series why would they dump so much $ and energy in repackaging and reselling it all? Has to be new tech and up to date. Like someone said above before-

2012 Camaro V8 with18" rims

2013 Camaro V8 with 19" rims

same thing just a minor cosmetic boost?

maybe it sounded better in my head... I am excited for the new AMD wave. was team red for years cause I never had a driver or hardware issue with them. ever. But the way the internet is these days its REAL HARD to bullshit the public on anything and anyone can dig up any info on a person or item in minutes. Common knowledge. So why would AMD go through the trouble if the feed back was gonna be shit?

Where exactly did you see them do that? Their conference was all about FuryX. This whole generation is all about the god damn Fury and HBM memory. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

<<other AMD customers>>

Mate look at my build, I literally possess nothing AMD.  Are they hiding they're rebrands? Absolutely not and everybody knows this. The only people who don't know this don't know what a rebrand is or could care less.

I really don't get why you would think making <<new cards>> who aren't really better (or have been worse than 2X gen rebrand cards) is actually somehow <<better>>. The only bottom line that should matter is price/perfomance. OFC the 390X is a bad buy but that's like 1 card in a whole lineup. 960 is awful and nobody goes on ranting about it and getting sour over it. 

The 960 isn't a 760 rebadged at 1.5x the cost. If it were I would have a problem.

I've told you to link me to a source where AMD has come out and admitted that they are rebrands. They haven't done. This has become common knowledge in spite of communication by them, not because of.

You keep going on about how bad the 960 is. It performs better than a 760 and its launch price matched the 750 Ti. If Nvidia had re-released the 750 Ti and charged the launch price of the 760, I'd have a problem with it, and that's pretty much what AMD just did.

In fact the 960 is only priced so badly now because of the 300 series's imminent release pushing down the price of the 280X. The 280(X) was the second highest tier of the 200 series, and it's being matched by the replacement for the 750 Ti and you're complaining about how bad it is.

There are also other issues associated with old performance cards, too like heat and power usage that are acceptable of a top tier card stop making sense when they're barely scraping the R9/GTX tiers, but this isn't my main problem with the 390X. My main problems are the deliberate deception and price hike.

Well alright, let's analyze this.

First, HALF of those are Mobile GPU's. AMD hasn't even announced any new dedicated mobile GPU's - not that they offer very many to begin with, since they generally go APU route at that point - and Carrizo is fully GCN 1.2 architecture (Same as Tonga/Fiji). If you count the iGPU's in Carrizo, then there are... ~4 additional GPU's there.

Next, it's kind of funny that NVIDIA made all those chips, and by-and-large, AMD still competes with all of them, using mostly old technology, aside from Tonga/Fiji.

FYI, that's not "six new GPU architectures". It's six new GPU's. They all use the same architecture - Maxwell.

Obviously I meant I was excluding cutdowns. Actually only two are mobile only (GM107 isn't mobile only haha), but as you mention it, AMD has literally no competition for any of the mobile line (which encompass in different parts 4 of the 6 maxwell gpu cores). Well it can compete with the 920m but that's literally all it has.  (Considering the m290x is worse than the 965 and is for obvious reasons basically ignored by everyone now that maxwell is so much more power efficient.)

Anyways obviously I counted tonga as a rebrand because lol 285. Hey they did actually slot that one down a little bit. 

As to APU, considering their apu's have just been obliterated in every possible manner conceivable by the extremely half-hearted broadwell release... Yea really promising.

BTW with the rest, you got a 290 competing with (and definitely offering a better value, duh) at the price point of a 960. REALLY ambitious. 

"Wait what was that again? AMD didn't want to be known as the 'cheaper option'?"

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Love the AMD vs NVIDIA posts xD

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.00Ghz - Motherboard: ASRock Z97X Killer - RAM: HyperX Savage Kit 2 x 4 GB - GPU: Inno3D iChill Geforce GTX 970 Ultra - Case: NZXT Noctis 450 - Storage (1st): Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB - Storage (2nd): Seagate 2TB HDD - PSU: Evga Supernova 750 G2 80+ Gold

Snip

Well that's my point. Nvidia made a new card... that only beat their own card and still made no sense at its price point. They didn't do any good, literally a waste of time and RnD. Maybe if they didn't do that the 980TI fuckup wouldn't have needed to happen. 3.5 GB was sneaky, this is about as sneaky as a canadian in Japan.  You cant expect a 1/3 market share cash striped compagny to beat top tier cards and not bleed from somewhere.

The 390/x are updated not just straight copies 1000mhz faster ram is nothing to sneeze at. most cards have trouble over clocking that far on the memory.

Where exactly did you see them do that? Their conference was all about FuryX. This whole generation is all about the god damn Fury and HBM memory. 

honestly I been googling R9 390 and 390X and EVERY article and picture/video says "its a rebranded 290/290X" and showed a picture of the two opened up side by side

Btw the AMD just got something new to offer. Their new Furys have a brand new tech, and it's just the first time they used that.

In future we may expect something even better thant Fury and FuryX2, and that will be awesome.

I always had Nvidia cards, mostly because I was diffident of AMD ones (probably because most of my friends are Nvidia fanboys)... But the new lines of AMD cards made then happier than the 980ti. That will push Nvidia to get something even better, and continue the never-ending competition between these two companies.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.00Ghz - Motherboard: ASRock Z97X Killer - RAM: HyperX Savage Kit 2 x 4 GB - GPU: Inno3D iChill Geforce GTX 970 Ultra - Case: NZXT Noctis 450 - Storage (1st): Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB - Storage (2nd): Seagate 2TB HDD - PSU: Evga Supernova 750 G2 80+ Gold

honestly I been googling R9 390 and 390X and EVERY article and picture/video says "its a rebranded 290/290X" and showed a picture of the two opened up side by side

No I mean AMD boasting the contrary. They never did. 

I'm not upset that AMD only has a few new GPUs, I understand the process of rebranding entirely and as long as the other cards can remain competitive then I have no issues. My complaint is that:

- The other cards do not appear to be remaining competitive

- The new generation of R9 cards (R9 300) contains only rebrands, with the only new GPUs being marketed as a separate line under the "Fury" name

I want the Fury X to be called the R9 390X and the Fury to be the R9 390. I want the R9 290X to become the R9 380X with a slight price cut. But that's not what we're getting. All of the R9 300 cards are recycled cards, and it appears that the only one getting a price cut at this time is the R9 270 -> R7 370. Meanwhile the R9 285 -> R9 380 is staying about the same, while the R9 290/290X -> R9 390/390X is getting a totally unnecessary extra 4GB of GDDR5 and then getting its price INCREASED.

THAT is why I am upset.

The product family should be something like this:

R9 390X - Fiji XT - $650

R9 390 - Fiji Pro - $500

R9 385 - Fiji Nano? - $400

R9 380X - R9 290X 8GB - $330

R9 380 - R9 290 4-8GB - $270

R9 375 - Tonga XT - $240

R9 370X - Tonga 4GB - $200

R9 370 - Tonga 2GB - $175

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

where is everyone getting that the price is going up? in a quick search on the internet and pcpartpicker all the 8gb cards are around the price or higher than the 390x and the 390x is clocked slightly higher and a pretty good bump on the memory. 1000mhz on video card memory is nothing to sneeze at imo.

where is everyone getting that the price is going up? in a quick search on the internet and pcpartpicker all the 8gb cards are around the price or higher than the 390x and the 390x is clocked slightly higher and a pretty good bump on the memory. 1000mhz on video card memory is nothing to sneeze at imo.

Nothing to sneeze at but the R9 290X was hardly limited by its memory bandwidth. It already performs extremely well at 4K but it really fell behind the competition at 1080P (which overwhelming majority of people still play at) when memory bandwidth is less of a factor, so the extra 1000MHz will do almost nothing for 1080P and not too much for 1440P. For 4K I expect it will continue to shine.

But the R9 290X right now costs around $350-400 before rebates, and after rebates you can usually find them for around $270-320. The R9 390X is said to cost $400-450. Really what should have happened is it should have had its price cut to ~$325 and be called the 380X.

Having 8GB be the basic model is just silly since that's more than twice what the majority of people buying it will need. Anyone who would want to play at 4K and MAX settings to take advantage of that much VRAM would probably rather get a single GTX 980 Ti or Fury anyways, since to get good framerates out of those settings you'd need 2x 290X/390Xs.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I already said this on another post: calling 2xx cards with some higher setted hardware 3xx cards will just make them more appealing to people who are not interested in what is under their gpu's cooler. It will sound more powerful to read 8gb, instead of 4gb... 
That's why they called them like that.

They could have used something like "290x pro", something like "290x ti"... but "390" sounds new, and powerful to someone who does not care if there are new tech in those.

I'm not upset that AMD only has a few new GPUs, I understand the process of rebranding entirely and as long as the other cards can remain competitive then I have no issues. My complaint is that:

- The other cards do not appear to be remaining competitive

- The new generation of R9 cards (R9 300) contains only rebrands, with the only new GPUs being marketed as a separate line under the "Fury" name

I want the Fury X to be called the R9 390X and the Fury to be the R9 390. I want the R9 290X to become the R9 380X with a slight price cut. But that's not what we're getting. All of the R9 300 cards are recycled cards, and it appears that the only one getting a price cut at this time is the R9 270 -> R7 370. Meanwhile the R9 285 -> R9 380 is staying about the same, while the R9 290/290X -> R9 390/390X is getting a totally unnecessary extra 4GB of GDDR5 and then getting its price INCREASED.

THAT is why I am upset.

The product family should be something like this:

R9 390X - Fiji XT - $650

R9 390 - Fiji Pro - $500

R9 385 - Fiji Nano? - $400

R9 380X - R9 290X 8GB - $330

R9 380 - R9 290 4-8GB - $270

R9 375 - Tonga XT - $240

R9 370X - Tonga 4GB - $200

R9 370 - Tonga 2GB - $175

You make complete sense to me.  I would have loved to see a 390X(aka FuryX) beat out a Titan, at $650.

...but, AMD's marketing is probably going for something else.  Knowledgeable customers won't care about the name 'cause...it is just a freakin' name.  ...anyone that brags about having a "Titan" gets rebutted with:  that's nice, but I prefer my "Fury"... all mythological references accounted for.

I personally don't care about the names, they could have called this line 2015-V1, 2015-V2, etc...

I think the 390X drops at $450.

Now if you have a working brain, or at least half working, you realize that regardless of the rebrands... AMD may possibly have the market saturated with better performing cards at better prices... except the $330 GTX 970 bracket (insert argument for the R9290X here).

in the press release I'm pretty sure they said 389 for the 390x. I watched it live but can't remember exactly. and the 390 was around the 340 mark or something. Now i could be wrong but almost all of the 8gb cards are in that 360 to 450 range with some higher and very few lower.

Re-brands. Plain and simple. 

Every company does this, it's not new. But their direct competitor brought some real new tech with a 2X multiplier within a few mouths. So people got over-hyped and this release did not fulfill their wishes. 

If makes sense or not... entirely different topic.

Also for another topic: This kind of notices (AMD launching a "new" name tech) based on some claims like 4096 VRam bit bus or 3D piled modules, etc. scares the shit out of us, because if they don't work means AMD has nothing to compare with Nvidia, and we know what happens when a company has time to relax in their direct competence. WE owners, buyers, fans, enthusiast get Fk'd hard... if that isn't something "upsetting" then what.

Not to mention that this is not even a new thing. There were versions of the 290X with 8GB VRAM long before the 390X was announced. :D

Yup. Granted, they were a lot less made...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)