Broadwell i7 5775C Gaming Performance on par with Haswell

MageTank

In an article posted by MaximumPC, the gaming performance of Broadwell Core i7 5775C is put to the test against a stock Core i7 4790k. While the exact performance may be subject to change upon BIOS updates after launch, the initial results are quite interesting. 

VTSVQNP.jpg

For gaming performance with a dedicated graphics card, the difference between the three processors becomes far less dramatic. Paired up with the fastest current GPU, the GeForce Titan X, at 1080p ultra settings we see very little difference between the processors. Interestingly, even at stock clocks we see a consistent improvement in gaming performance on Broadwell compared to Haswell, but it’s only 3 percent on average. The large L4 cache again plays a role, and it looks like the larger L3 cache of Haswell-E in some cases has a similar benefit, but anything less than 10 percent typically won’t be noticed in normal use.

Overall, i am satisfied with Broadwell. Even if it will not OC as high as Haswell, the performance you get for the power it consumes is right up my ally, and i am sure other SFF enthusiasts would appreciate what Broadwell has to offer. Both in terms of CPU performance, and even the iGPU performance. 

Source: http://www.maximumpc.com/intel-broadwell-dt-core-i7-5775c-review/

New Update: We now have something to compare MaximumPC's overclock to. 

http://www.legitrevi...r-review_166875

Page 3:

We overclocked the Intel Core i7-5775C processor by simply increasing the multiplier and raising the voltage on the processor when needed. The UEFI microcode for enabling eDRAM selections and overclocking was not available in the build for the board that we have, so we left that alone for the time being (We’ll do an article on that later). By just raising the multiplier we were able to get to 4.1 GHz without needing to increase the voltage. To hit 4.2 GHz we had to increase the voltage to 1.3V and then to hit 4.3GHz we had to increase it again to 1.35V. We were able to get 4.4 GHz up and running on the desktop, but it would crash in very CPU intensive benchmarks. We went up to 1.425V on the processor and couldn’t get it stable at 4.4 GHz before calling it quits and we just benchmarked everything in our test suite at 4.3GHz.

We later learned that you can put more voltage to the processor without blowing it up right away and was able to get 4.4GHz stable at 1.475V. If you want to run 4.6-4.7GHz on one of these processors you need to run around 1.6V on the core and that is something we weren’t interested in doing and you’ll see why when we get to the power consumption section!

Another interesting thing to note: 

Benchmark Results: The Intel Core i7-5775C processor is a 65W TDP processor and at idle the entire system was pulling 26.2 Watts and the wall and when under fill load we were pulling 79.0 Watts. All that efficiency is thrown out the window with the overclock though and our idle power increased to 34.6W and at load we were now hitting 119 Watts, which is similar to a Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core processor with default settings. We used Handbrake to rip a full 1080P Blu-Ray as our load test, so this is representative of a real world scenario. So, to get a 50% overclock and performance increase we needed to more than double the power consumption at load.

When it comes to overclocking we were easily able to take the Intel Core i7-5775C up to 4.3GHz by simply increasing the CPU multiplier up to 43 and bumping the voltage up to 1.35V. The overclock was rock solid and out CPU temperature never broke 70C, but the negative was that it threw the power efficiency all to heck.  Our 16.2% overclock from the Turbo clock rating had us using 54.4% more power at load. It also used more at idle and since we were using more power it was running hotter and that increases the fan noise as everything ramps up to compensate. So, overclocking is easy on the Core i7-5775C, but you basically take your 65W TDP processor and turn it into one that is likely pushing 80W or more depending on the clock speeds and voltage you end up using. That sounds bad, but you basically just end up where the high-end Haswell parts are at.

Yet another update: I found another review of the i7 5775C that discloses more results from OCing. It still is not looking good for the overall overclocking abilities of broadwell, as it appears to be very voltage hungry. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7222/intel-core-i7-5775c-3ghz-broadwell-lga-1150-cpu-performance-overview/index11.html

The maximum overclock I was able to achieve was 4.5GHz. This means it was stable enough to validate this overclock with CPUz, but I couldn't do much else without freezing. The eDRAM addition to the system could be one reason for the lower OC, as it's the new ingredient, but I found other limits as well. Overclocking the cache and memory isn't as easy as I am used to with the 4770K and 4790K. The CPU is also pretty sensitive to voltage, too high or too low and you might get issues. I found that an Input Voltage lower than 1.9v or higher than 2.15v would result in instability. I had to use 2.0-2.1v for 4.5GHz, otherwise I was stuck at 4.4GHz. This is more of a CPU limit since I tried other motherboards, and this one was one of the best overclockers. Other media also seem to be hitting the same limits, as well

7222_52_intel-core-i7-5775c-3-3ghz-broad

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

..totally not surprised.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

does broadwell have a lower TDP? Is there also gonna be a broadwell i5?

Yes, one of the consequences of a die shrink

Socketed broadwell i5: i5 5675C

This is a signature.

does broadwell have a lower TDP? Is there also gonna be a broadwell i5?

Yes, 65w compared to the 88w Haswells. The Broadwell i5 exists, it is called the i5 5675C. 

How much power do these chips consume? I don't like the low clocks.

65W, though the i7 version is known to draw around 75W from the wall when HTT is being utilized when benching. 

iGPU is the strong point, put an i5 5675C in a M350

Did you read the data? An i7-5775C is 3.3 GHz at stock, and it's meeting or beating a 4 GHz i7-4790K in these games. It may not justify an upgrade from said 4790K, but the point is that maybe the iGPU isn't it's only strong point. It suggests nice things about Skylake at 95 W for Broadwell at 65 W to do so well.

Those names though ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Did you read the data? An i7-5775C is 3.3 GHz at stock, and it's meeting or beating a 4 GHz i7-4790K in these games. It may not justify an upgrade from said 4790K, but the point is that maybe the iGPU isn't it's only strong point.

Yeah, if anyone already has a haswell i5 or i7, i would not recommend upgrading to Broadwell. Broadwell should be considered for people upgrading from pentium stop-gaps or from budget MMO/MOBA players looking to upgrade from their i3's.  It is also great for SFF builds, where low profile heatsinks can easily dissipate that 65W TDP with ease. The performance should not be considered concrete yet, as most performance based motherboards lack the updated bios to use these chips. Expect the results to change slightly once broadwell is officially released to consumers for purchase.

I prefer the "k"s over the "c"s, but whatever.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Yeah, if anyone already has a haswell i5 or i7, i would not recommend upgrading to Broadwell. Broadwell should be considered for people upgrading from pentium stop-gaps or from budget MMO/MOBA players looking to upgrade from their i3's.  It is also great for SFF builds, where low profile heatsinks can easily dissipate that 65W TDP with ease. The performance should not be considered concrete yet, as most performance based motherboards lack the updated bios to use these chips. Expect the results to change slightly once broadwell is officially released to consumers for purchase.

Also worth noting that the 5775C has an MSRP of $377, the 5675C at $277. I think I'd stick to Haswell for discrete-GPU gaming at those prices, but it's still impressive to see such low clocks and low power draw perform so well.

I prefer the "k"s over the "c"s, but whatever.

What does the name matter if it's still got an unlocked multiplier?

No reason to buy them unless you are buying your first PC or have a really old PC.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Well, the difference in gaming performance between stock and OC4.2GHz of the i7 5775C is minimum. What's going on? Also, it requires 1.36v to go 4.2GHz!!!!!

Did you read the data? An i7-5775C is 3.3 GHz at stock, and it's meeting or beating a 4 GHz i7-4790K in these games. It may not justify an upgrade from said 4790K, but the point is that maybe the iGPU isn't it's only strong point. It suggests nice things about Skylake at 95 W.

For the price it isn't worth to upgrade, but yeah at 3.3 GHz performs as the 4 GHz i7-4790K, that's nearly a 20 % clock difference, seems like L4 does give the benefit not only for the iGPU.

But again, the price, if you don't care about size and power consumption you can get better performance from the haswell equivalent + dGPU, otherwise if you don't care about the price or you're very size limited (like the M350 I mentioned before) this CPU is perfect

This is a signature.

For the price it isn't worth to upgrade, but yeah at 3.3 GHz performs as the 4 GHz i7-4790K, that's nearly a 20 % clock difference, seems like L4 does give the benefit not only for the iGPU.

But again, the price, if you don't care about size and power consumption you can get better performance from the haswell equivalent + dGPU, otherwise if you don't care about the price or you're very size limited (like the M350 I mentioned before) this CPU is perfect

But on the other hand, @ 4.2GHz, 5775C doesn't perform much better than at stock 3.3GHz either.

But on the other hand, @ 4.2GHz, 5775C doesn't perform much better than at stock 3.3GHz either.

Maybe the games/test weren't so much CPU bound, but I can't confirm that

This is a signature.

Well, the difference in gaming performance between stock and OC4.2GHz of the i7 5775C is minimum. What's going on? Also, it requires 1.36v to go 4.2GHz!!!!!

The BIOS revisions are still very new, and are probably not optimized for the CPU's. I still get updates from AsRock for the DC Haswells, lol. You also have to take into consideration binning and motherboard quality. While motherboards have less to do with OCing intel CPU's now than what they did in the past, they still impact some aspects regarding how much voltage will be required, along with options that supplement voltage boosts (Vrin, LLC, etc).

No reason to buy them unless you are buying your first PC or have a really old PC.

I listed the perfect reasons to buy these a few posts back. They are good for the people that bought the G3258 as a stop gap, or for people looking to upgrade from their i3's to something a little stronger, that won't be too hard to keep cool. I imagine that most people with i3's do not have the best cooling solutions (heatsink, cases, etc) on hand, and 65w TDP is only 10-12w higher than the current gen haswell i3's and Pentiums. The stock cooling solution for the Haswell chips is rated to handle 95w TDP, so i assume there is plenty of headroom to OC the Broadwell chips on the stock cooler just fine.

Broadwell should not be viewed as a Haswell replacement. It is a side-grade, or alternative option to Haswell. As you can see, the impact of that choice will not be as devastating as people tried to make it out to be in the past, and when talking about gaming specifically, people should be fine with either Haswell or Broadwell.

Yes, one of the consequences of a die shrink

Socketed broadwell i5: i5 5675C

is it overclockable?

is it overclockable

Yes. All "C" products of broadwell are unlocked.

Yes. All "C" products of broadwell are unlocked.

wait and whats the price gonna be? the i5 4690k used to cost 220€ here, but now it costs 255€, so whazs the boradwells i5's pricve gonna be here?

wait and whats the price gonna be? the i5 4690k used to cost 220€ here, but now it costs 255€, so whazs the boradwells i5's pricve gonna be here?

I don't know the exact euro prices, but they are launching slightly higher than previous Haswell prices in America. $366 for the Broadwell i7 (Compared to $350 for the Haswell i7 4790k ) and $276 for the broadwell i5 ($243 for the haswell 4690k). 

I do not know if the prices will translate 1:1 as far as conversion goes, but if it were to do so, $276US would be around 246€.

Again, i am not 100% certain on the pricing in Euro's, i only know of the US MSRP value.

What I want to see is the iGPU transcoding video.

Since 60% of the die space is taken up by the thing, that's the only thing that'll sell it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Yes, 65w compared to the 88w Haswells. The Broadwell i5 exists, it is called the i5 5675C. 

65W, though the i7 version is known to draw around 75W from the wall when HTT is being utilized when benching. 

Is HTT different from Hyperthreading (usually shown as HT)?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd