Broadwell i7 5775C Gaming Performance on par with Haswell

MageTank

What I want to see is the iGPU transcoding video.

Since 60% of the die space is taken up by the thing, that's the only thing that'll sell it.

I don't have any benches on transcoding, only one i have is from Broadwell is the Adobe CC Media Encoder. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5775c-i5-5675c-broadwell,4169-10.html

I disagree on that aspect being the only selling point. Like i said before, these chips will be absolutely amazing upgrades over the Pentiums and i3's used in SFF machines. Imagine going from a G3258 clocked at 4.0, to a Broadwell i5 or i7 clocked at 4.0.

Is HTT different from Hyperthreading (usually shown as HT)?

Sorry, i refer to Hyperthreading as HTT (Hyperthreading Technology) out of habit. I suppose just calling it HT would be the better way of doing it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I prefer the "k"s over the "c"s, but whatever.

What does the name matter if it's still got an unlocked multiplier?

I believe there's double entendre there.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I don't have any benches on transcoding, only one i have is from Broadwell is the Adobe CC Media Encoder. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5775c-i5-5675c-broadwell,4169-10.html

I disagree on that aspect being the only selling point. Like i said before, these chips will be absolutely amazing upgrades over the Pentiums and i3's used in SFF machines. Imagine going from a G3258 clocked at 4.0, to a Broadwell i5 or i7 clocked at 4.0.

Sorry, i refer to Hyperthreading as HTT (Hyperthreading Technology) out of habit. I suppose just calling it HT would be the better way of doing it. 

Not a problem. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

What I want to see is the iGPU transcoding video.

Since 60% of the die space is taken up by the thing, that's the only thing that'll sell it.

Because the GPU was finalized before the H.265 standard, there's a hybrid hardware/software solution, and it will warm the chip up certainly, but it won't lag or fall behind anything currently available.

Let me rephrase then lol: it's the only thing that'll sell it to me. As you could make a dirt cheap Sorenson Squeeze quicksync farm with these chips, if the iGPU actually beats Xeon CPU rendering by now.

Unfortunately, no i3s are announced yet, and I bet Intel is going to continue the retarded line of putting the best iGPU on the best CPU, thus rendering the whole use for iGPU moot for quicksync.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Let me rephrase then lol: it's the only thing that'll sell it to me. As you could make a dirt cheap Sorenson Squeeze quicksync farm with these chips, if the iGPU actually beats Xeon CPU rendering by now.

Unfortunately, no i3s are announced yet, and I bet Intel is going to continue the retarded line of putting the best iGPU on the best CPU, thus rendering the whole use for iGPU moot for quicksync.

Huh? My Dad's 4790K iGPU outpaces Intel QuickSync easily through Camtasia. You must be using poor GPU algorithms.

65W, though the i7 version is known to draw around 75W from the wall when HTT is being utilized when benching. 

If you figure a PSU is 80-90% efficient, that 75W from the wall means the CPU is pulling about 65W from the power supply.

No, not really its higher. ~88watts

No, Broadwell is LOWER than Haswell, 65W vs. the 88W of the 4790K.

If you figure a PSU is 80-90% efficient, that 75W from the wall means the CPU is pulling about 65W from the power supply.

Yeah, but the i5 variant is pulling exacty 65w from the wall. The i7 version pulls 10w more. The only logical explanation would be HT. 

Where are you getting the information regarding the 88w TDP? Both the i5 and i7 fall below that number. The i5 even under heavy stress test only pulled 65W from the wall, and the i7 pulled 75w under the same load. Intel has both CPU's listed at 65W on their data sheets:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88040/Intel-Core-i7-5775C-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/88095/Intel-Core-i5-5675C-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

As you can see, Broadwell does in fact have a lower TDP. 

So, these two CPUs offer identical performance in these GPU-limited games? Shocking.

I mean seriously... Even in the few ones where the CPU makes a difference, it's on-par or faster in spite of the lower clock. So, the conclusion drawn in the title really is either inconsequential or just wrong in each of these cases...

1.36 V for 4.2 GHz is waaaaay too high

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Dude, did you even bother to look it up? It's 65W, which is why they used a new suffix for it.

1.36 V for 4.2 GHz is waaaaay too high

Could be a dud overclocker very easily. For 14nm it should take far lower voltage for the same clocks in general, even if the ceiling starts to get lower.

So, these two CPUs offer identical performance in these GPU-limited games? Shocking.

I mean seriously... Even in the few ones where the CPU makes a difference, it's on-par or faster in spite of the lower clock. So, the conclusion drawn in the title really is either inconsequential or just wrong in each of these cases...

I would love to have seen more CPU intensive games, but they did not provide any in their tests.

The point in my title was to show that the performance of the Broadwell CPU's were keeping up with the Haswell CPU's, which is true given the limited information we have on the subject so far. If information comes out to change that fact, i will change the title to reflect that information. 

How much power do these chips consume? I don't like the low clocks.

Low clocks don't mean it's slow. It's all about the IPC. In fact, low clocks means it's easier to achieve a greater percentage overclock.

I can't wait until Linus & Luke review this, hopefully by then the OEMs will have released proper BIOSes so that these issues that Maximum PC encountered don't happen.

I'd really like to see how good it will overclock, with the iGPU disabled and that 128 MB of eDRAM dedicated entirely to the CPU as a L4 cache. From what I've read from other reviews the average ceiling seems to be 4.2 GHz.

Don't forget the Broadwell is clocked much lower than a i7 4790K (4.0). i7 5775C is 3.3 I think.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

You guys say it is not worth to upgrade but you have people like me stuck with an AMD CPU so any improvement is worth buying for people like me. Planning to get Skylake over Broadwell though to replace this FX-8350 which throttles itself at 60 degrees and it is always at 60 degrees Celsius and been stuck with this for 2 years. I am pumped for Broadwell/Skylake despite the small improvement!

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

You guys say it is not worth to upgrade but you have people like me stuck with an AMD CPU so any improvement is worth buying for people like me. Planning to get Skylake over Broadwell though to replace this FX-8350 which throttles itself at 60 degrees and it is always at 60 degrees Celsius and been stuck with this for 2 years. I am pumped for Broadwell/Skylake despite the small improvement!

Skylake in 3-6 months! Hallelujah! Dump my GTX 570 for a Radeon Fury or Fury X, dump my 2600K for a 6700K or possibly the higher/refresh flagship if it comes along, and finally get an SSD!

I don't know the exact euro prices, but they are launching slightly higher than previous Haswell prices in America. $366 for the Broadwell i7 (Compared to $350 for the Haswell i7 4790k ) and $276 for the broadwell i5 ($243 for the haswell 4690k). 

I do not know if the prices will translate 1:1 as far as conversion goes, but if it were to do so, $276US would be around 246€.

Again, i am not 100% certain on the pricing in Euro's, i only know of the US MSRP value.

hmm, in the last 4 months the price of the i5 4690k went from 215€to 255€ and the 4790k from 320€ to 355€...

Skylake in 3-6 months! Hallelujah! Dump my GTX 570 for a Radeon Fury or Fury X, dump my 2600K for a 6700K or possibly the higher/refresh flagship if it comes along, and finally get an SSD!

You still don't have a SSD? *gasp*

You can buy a 60GB one so cheap for a long time as a boot drive. :D

ok i am confused

i am looking at building a new pc and up to about 1 hour ago i was going to use the asus x99 e ws motherboard but now i have herd about brodwell and skiylakes is ment to be released in aug 2015 do i go will my origanel plan or am i going to spend $600 and then find out that brodwell or skylakes has new features and i have wasted my money. normaly i would not give this a secound thought buy haswell-e, brodwell and skylakes seem to have been released so close together that i am just confused as to build now or waite ??????.........

i mean i have not seen any brodwell based desk top motherboards yet and now it looks like skylakes is to be released can anyone make any sence of this as it seriously throws a spaner in my build plans.

ok i am confused

i am looking at building a new pc and up to about 1 hour ago i was going to use the asus x99 e ws motherboard but now i have herd about brodwell and skiylakes is ment to be released in aug 2015 do i go will my origanel plan or am i going to spend $600 and then find out that brodwell or skylakes has new features and i have wasted my money. normaly i would not give this a secound thought buy haswell-e, brodwell and skylakes seem to have been released so close together that i am just confused as to build now or waite ??????.........

i mean i have not seen any brodwell based desk top motherboards yet and now it looks like skylakes is to be released can anyone make any sence of this as it seriously throws a spaner in my build plans.

Neither Broadwell nor Skylake is going to be a direct replacement for an X99 system. There's a small IPC improvement over Haswell, but if you need 6–8 physical cores, 8 quad-channel DIMM slots, and/or 28–40 PCIe lanes, these products will probably leave you disappointed. Skylake-E will probably be announced eventually, but that will likely come quite awhile later.

hmmm i am just right at that cycle point as my last build was a asrock x79 exyream 11. i build my pc,s with expandabilaty in mind and buy bords like the asrock for storig, pci expantion in mind. that is way i was looking at the asus x99 e ws motherboard and it already has sata 6. i need a workstation as well as a gaming platform so yer.