Broadwell i7 5775C Gaming Performance on par with Haswell

MageTank

Not that voltage isn't important to note, but even in their own review they note that apparently broadwell handles higher voltages much better than previous chips (it also apparently needs higher voltage to function). This isn't really relevant without looking at safe operating temperatures. (After all voltage is not directly a measure of stability. Voltage is only the potential difference used to drive the system. It is possible their 14nm envelope for some reason has significantly higher resistance which then requires the higher voltage.)

So if before 1.25V was safe 24/7 load, but now 1.4-1.5V is safe, then the relative safety margin may not be much changed.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another update: I found another review of the i7 5775C that discloses more results from OCing. It still is not looking good for the overall overclocking abilities of broadwell, as it appears to be very voltage hungry. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7222/intel-core-i7-5775c-3ghz-broadwell-lga-1150-cpu-performance-overview/index11.html

The maximum overclock I was able to achieve was 4.5GHz. This means it was stable enough to validate this overclock with CPUz, but I couldn't do much else without freezing. The eDRAM addition to the system could be one reason for the lower OC, as it's the new ingredient, but I found other limits as well. Overclocking the cache and memory isn't as easy as I am used to with the 4770K and 4790K. The CPU is also pretty sensitive to voltage, too high or too low and you might get issues. I found that an Input Voltage lower than 1.9v or higher than 2.15v would result in instability. I had to use 2.0-2.1v for 4.5GHz, otherwise I was stuck at 4.4GHz. This is more of a CPU limit since I tried other motherboards, and this one was one of the best overclockers. Other media also seem to be hitting the same limits, as well

7222_52_intel-core-i7-5775c-3-3ghz-broad

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Yet another update: I found another review of the i7 5775C that discloses more results from OCing. It still is not looking good for the overall overclocking abilities of broadwell, as it appears to be very voltage hungry. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7222/intel-core-i7-5775c-3ghz-broadwell-lga-1150-cpu-performance-overview/index11.html

Be aware this wasn't a chip designed to replace a 4790k, and these are all OEM chips. The etailer sales tend to get the overclocking chips if there are any.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Be aware this wasn't a chip designed to replace a 4790k, and these are all OEM chips. The etailer sales tend to get the overclocking chips if there are any.

Yeah, i know what market it was targeting. I will still be buying one for my custom SFF design, simply because the performance it offers for the low TDP it has is just second to none. I do like that it can be OC'd to 4.0 with ease, according to every review i've seen so far about it. Could just overclock it to 4.0 and pretend you have a 4770k with better iGPU.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.