Deleteing your internet history could become a crime

Could deleting your internet history become illegal in the US?

To be honest I am not sure how reliable the source for this article is, but it does sound like something that is likely to be true.. especially after all the fuss about data control and privacy rights lately.

So section 802 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act “destroying, mutilating, concealing, falsifying records, documents, or tangible objects” and the ruling is trying to state that deleting your internet history is obstruction of justice.

I find that hard to believe as in a past case they have used as an example, they referred to data being lost because a cab driver "Khairullozhon Matanov" deleted his history and some videos from his computer. They have charged him with obstruction of justice for this. We all know how easy it is to retrieve information once it has been deleted and there is no mention of the computer being wiped, formatted or zeroing the drive. I know I do not have the whole story but it doesn't seem to add up, and although I believe the U.S government would love to ban clearing your history.. I think it would be extremely hard to enforce.

What do you guys think?

The original article is

http://www.eteknix.com/deleting-browser-history-federal-crime/

This could be interesting.

I play it safe by not creating records in the first place (by using private modes, etcetera) so I don't have to delete anything later.

I only search things recordably for when it's something that I won't remember later and/or isn't objectionable.

Sig under construction.

if your being investigated and you delete it, it makes sense. its no different then physically destroying evidence. 

lel, but they can ask the NSA for that data right?
They have it anyways.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Thank god there is incognito...

If there wasnt incognito how am I suppose to delete all the por... i mean my google searches...

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

lel, but they can ask the NSA for that data right?

They have it anyways.

Then they would have to admit they had it and collect it in court. 

You have a right to my information when you show me a warrant giving you that right, not before.

Also, will our former secretary of state be slapped with an obstruction of justice charge for deleting her emails? I think not.

If there wasnt incognito how am I suppose to delete all the por... i mean my google searches...

All those searches for p...."presents" right?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This could be interesting.

I play it safe by not creating records in the first place (by using private modes, etcetera) so I don't have to delete anything later.

We all know why we use private and incognito

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Here's my understanding:

Deletion after getting a search warrant = illegal

Deletion without warrant = perfectly legal

I am in no way a lawyer.

if your being investigated and you delete it, it makes sense. its no different then physically destroying evidence. 

Well that is too open for legal things, I could agree with you on if the person knew they were being investigated but if they are unaware then they did nothing wrong by deleting it.

Here's my understanding:

Deletion after getting a search warrant = illegal

Deletion without warrant = perfectly legal

I am in no way a lawyer.

Yes but with the way the governments are acting lately, they don't need to be investigating you specifically because they're technically already investigating everyone on the planet (except themselves of course)

Yes but with the way the governments are acting lately, they don't need to be investigating you specifically because they're technically already investigating everyone on the planet (except themselves of course)

Who says they aren't? (the people in government in my country are keeping tabs on each other...)

Then they would have to admit they had it and collect it in court. 

well I guess they can ask Google for that data too, but I am pretty sure they have most of it too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Who says they aren't? (the people in government in my country are keeping tabs on each other...)

I've not seen any politicians or federal agencies in my country actually get charged with any of the real crimes lately. Just BS like having affairs or something.

aw HELL NAW

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I've not seen any politicians or federal agencies in my country actually get charged with any of the real crimes lately. Just BS like having affairs or something.

And they kick and scream when this stuff happens to them...

I want to move to an island and start my own country...

And they kick and scream when this stuff happens to them...

I want to move to an island and start my own country...

Oh yeah they do. They act completely outraged than anyone would want to spy on them.

I'm a good cook, any chance I could get a spot on that island? :P

Oh yeah they do. They act completely outraged than anyone would want to spy on them.

I'm a good cook, any chance I could get a spot on that island? :P

Absolutely, we'll make a new country on a deserted island somewhere and call it "The Kingdom of 4chan" so that it's completely decentralized. Everyone will probably wallow in hatred, but it could be pretty cool... Nah, 4chan is a terrible idea... Twitchland? no, the chat is horrible...

Think of something that could work so that we don't get a military industrial complex like America.

Absolutely, we'll make a new country on a deserted island somewhere and call it "The Kingdom of 4chan" so that it's completely decentralized. Everyone will probably wallow in hatred, but it could be pretty cool... Nah, 4chan is a terrible idea... Twitchland? no, the chat is horrible...

Think of something that could work so that we don't get a military industrial complex like America.

I'm thinking of "PC Master Race home land". Offer huge tax incentives to gaming companies to move their businesses to our tiny island.

We could put it in Antarctica,, that way thermal throttling on our PC's would never be an issue.

Oh well, guess no more fixing your granny's computer because you can't delete her history, as it's now illegal and she can't get back online because IE keeps crashing.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Oh well, guess no more fixing your granny computer because you can't delete her history as it's now illegal and she can't get back online as IE keeps crashing.

Back it up to something accessible and redundant and then delete the original.

But yes, I understand what you're saying.

Sig under construction.