Dell/Alienware vs consoles

brownninja97

I've bought stuff from dell before, they have stuff on sale sometimes that's way better than anywhere else and free shipping to boot.  As for their systems they're overpriced for proprietary garbage.  Same with Alienware.  Consoles are alright.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Dells are designed to last.
I hate the propiteary junk, but at least they'll last.
At the school i work in our computers are all dell, some have the ol Vista capable sticker with pentiums4's in abundance.
And the new dells with the i3's aren't any faster then the ones that're ancient so i take that as at least the quality doesn't degrade :P

Dells don't really make enthusiast level computers. or gaming. they're corporate PC's. designed to use word and publisher and other low usage programs and to not need an upgrade cycle for a very long time.
These computers aren't designed for the majority of people on this forum. 
And later today I'm ordering 10x 7010sf with a i3-3220

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Dell monitors are actually pretty good. There normal systems are just like any other OEM which suck in the eyes of enthusiast. Alienware is also just as bad as other gaming computer companies like origin and digital storm who charge a fortune for PCs. 

I can't believe Dell is getting the least hate.  Are you kidding ?  At least with Alienware you get a real pc that can be upgraded and used for gaming and has available normal cases.  Now yes Dell offers some really nice monitors but their pcs are just garbage.

Dell disgusts me.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

If you want a pre-build gaming PC, iBuyPower is a great

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

I can't believe Dell is getting the least hate.  Are you kidding ?  At least with Alienware you get a real pc that can be upgraded and used for gaming and has available normal cases.  Now yes Dell offers some really nice monitors but their pcs are just garbage.

Dell disgusts me.

Its the other way around, dells cases you can upgrade and do whatever you want, you have put an atx in the xps 8700. there monitors are great.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Its the other way around, dells cases you can upgrade and do whatever you want, you have put an atx in the xps 8700. there monitors are great.

Dude I worked on Dell cases and they are just as big a joke as the Xbox 360 case which I also worked on recently.  As for their monitors they are great but not great enough to keep people from buying other options from Asia and Monoprice.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Dude I worked on Dell cases and they are just as big a joke as the Xbox 360 case which I also worked on recently.  As for their monitors they are great but not great enough to keep people from buying other options from Asia and Monoprice.

I dont really think that has much to do with great or not great, the other options are just alot cheaper.. Personally I would pay 4 times as much a Dell monitor over a cheap crap monitor any day of the week.. :)

(Comming soon)

i wonder which twat thought it would be clever to bend the metal instead of using standoffs

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

SO i wonder why they there are millions of optiplexs everywhere which just refuse to die like ever. Those things are tanks, dells quality isnt actually too bad, they are built to last unlike consoles, after a few years both the xbox and ps3 suffered many causalities. Alienware is stupid considering an xps is cheaper and more powerful and cooler if you were about to get an x51.

My friend's upwards-of-10-times-dead Inspiron and my perfectly functioning fat model PS3 would like a word with youuuuu. ;)

For the record I own a 5 year old Dell OptiPlex 755. Functions fine - problem is their business PCs have always been their strong point. It's the consumer ones that are designed by children and built by elephants...

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

PC > Potato > Dell/Alienware > Consoles > Justin Bieber

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Given those options, I'd buy a console any day, if I wanted to buy something for gaming.

I don't even look in Alienware's direction because they're overpriced.

And to be honest, I find Dell slightly overpriced for what they offer as well.

Given those options, I'd buy a console any day, if I wanted to buy something for gaming.

I don't even look in Alienware's direction because they're overpriced.

And to be honest, I find Dell slightly overpriced for what they offer as well.

You can get a £700 xps with a 650 ti and an i7. That can ripe those consoles a new one. we all know alienware is overpriced but you should have to pay for pre built systems.

Listen if you care.

Depends on the Dell.

Alienware is a God forsaken war torn mess.

Consoles, depends on the console chosen.

I voted consoles because I'd much rather have a dedicated gaming box than a POS Dell(unless it's a little powerhouse laptop like a XPS).

So, console>Dell>Nothing>Alienware.

Between the X51 and consoles, I'd pick the X51 hands down, even if it is a bit more expensive. Part of me wishes that Dell/Alienware would go all the way with the X51 and offer good, bluetooth controllers to use with them or other PCs and complete the package.

I just checked some prices for the dell and alienware stuffs. The aurora is an op piece of crap as already however the x51 and the xps range have improved many times over last gen versions and their prices arent that bad, considering its pre made it beats quite a lot of rivals.

Listen if you care.

You can get a £700 xps with a 650 ti and an i7. That can ripe those consoles a new one. we all know alienware is overpriced but you should have to pay for pre built systems.

Really? Mind sharing such a link?

I got an Alienware m17x laptop straight from Dell for $1700 with two 500gig hard drives, 7970m, 1080p display, and a 3840QM processor with a student discount. Not sure how people get off on saying they are overpriced. Couldn't find any laptops with equal to or better specs for less and that also came with as good a warranty.

Their desktops I can't say anything about. They are significantly more expensive than building your own, but their laptops are very reasonably priced.

Their desktops I can't say anything about. They are significantly more expensive than building your own, but their laptops are very reasonably priced.

Not compared to desktops in terms of performance. I have to admit that the LEDs and finish on their laptops is great, though.

Alienware computers are ridiculously poorly made and badly balanced. I hate it with a passion.

I like consoles. I use my PS3 for the awesome exclusives it has to offer and it's just a nice casual gaming experience when it's not online. I still prefer PC gaming by far though.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Not compared to desktops in terms of performance. I have to admit that the LEDs and finish on their laptops is great, though.

Obviously. But compared to other laptops none were cheaper that performed as well. And being as I'm in college, I needed something I could take around with me and go to lan parties with. The 7970m performs well enough to game at 2560x14440. 

To to build quality, not sure where people think Alienware laptops are not built well. Even overclocked, my laptop never goes above 65c. The entire frame of the laptop is sturdy. I've seen people rave about Sagers, and none of the sagers I've seen are anywhere near as sturdy or as comfortable to use as my laptop. And Sagers are loud, much louder than my Alienware. 

Of course I'm only talking about laptops, I've never owned or used an Alienware desktop. 

Obviously. But compared to other laptops none were cheaper that performed as well. And being as I'm in college, I needed something I could take around with me and go to lan parties with. The 7970m performs well enough to game at 2560x14440. 

To to build quality, not sure where people think Alienware laptops are not built well. Even overclocked, my laptop never goes above 65c. The entire frame of the laptop is sturdy. I've seen people rave about Sagers, and none of the sagers I've seen are anywhere near as sturdy or as comfortable to use as my laptop. And Sagers are loud, much louder than my Alienware. 

Of course I'm only talking about laptops, I've never owned or used an Alienware desktop. 

How's gaming on 14440p? isn't every thing a bit stretched out?

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!