Dell/Alienware vs consoles

brownninja97

Obviously. But compared to other laptops none were cheaper that performed as well. And being as I'm in college, I needed something I could take around with me and go to lan parties with. The 7970m performs well enough to game at 2560x14440. 

To to build quality, not sure where people think Alienware laptops are not built well. Even overclocked, my laptop never goes above 65c. The entire frame of the laptop is sturdy. I've seen people rave about Sagers, and none of the sagers I've seen are anywhere near as sturdy or as comfortable to use as my laptop. And Sagers are loud, much louder than my Alienware. 

Of course I'm only talking about laptops, I've never owned or used an Alienware desktop. 

And I've never used an Alienware laptop. The only thing I find that Alienware overcharges for more than any other company is the ram, while being in line with others in hdd/ssd increases being to much. But you can get those stock and buy your own for much cheaper.

Alienware laptops aren't badly priced for the build quality you get. Only reason I didn't get one was because I wasn't a fan of the look or all the light on it. Seemed a bit flashy, but I would like the build quality of it on a sager. And an 18" laptop is always nice.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I switched a friend over from consoles I helped him build a great rig 2500k, 8GB RAM, AMD6970 (he recently upgraded to a 690). So we have a friend who decided he wanted to switch over long story short we has the "better than the Joneses" syndrom and all he could focus on was wanting a better PC than my other friend. So I told him no just get what I picked out for you on newegg. He said he wants to watch youtube videos and play the games once and a while. He would not accept he nearly bought and under powered over priced MAC for nearly 3500 dollars the i5 flavor yikes. Luckily in a feat of buyers remorse he called me good thing I picked up my phone because he would have bought it. His reasoning for buying it was the guy at Best Buy told him the MAC is faster than windows and doesn't get viruses. Of course I talked him out of it but getting to my point is he has way more money than brains he ended up buying an alienware. I went over to his house to check it out I have to say I was not impressed I have never seen so much bloatware in all my life I think it took 2-3 minutes to boot up. So I would own a console anyday over a retail boxed PC. Power to the custom PC community.

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

Obviously. But compared to other laptops none were cheaper that performed as well. And being as I'm in college, I needed something I could take around with me and go to lan parties with. The 7970m performs well enough to game at 2560x14440. 

To to build quality, not sure where people think Alienware laptops are not built well. Even overclocked, my laptop never goes above 65c. The entire frame of the laptop is sturdy. I've seen people rave about Sagers, and none of the sagers I've seen are anywhere near as sturdy or as comfortable to use as my laptop. And Sagers are loud, much louder than my Alienware. 

Of course I'm only talking about laptops, I've never owned or used an Alienware desktop. 

Depends on what you consider "well enough". For what I do, a 7970M wouldn't nearly be sufficient enough. I've also used an M17X R3 and it was fairly loud, in fact it was the loudest computer I've ever heard.

What seems to not be obvious is the fact that laptops are essentially useless for gaming unless you're playing old games or with very low settings. They may be somewhat decent if they could have an external desktop GPU via ThunderBolt, but so far that hasn't been a feasible option.

Depends on what you consider "well enough". For what I do, a 7970M wouldn't nearly be sufficient enough. I've also used an M17X R3 and it was fairly loud, in fact it was the loudest computer I've ever heard.

What seems to not be obvious is the fact that laptops are essentially useless for gaming unless you're playing old games or with very low settings. They may be somewhat decent if they could have an external desktop GPU via ThunderBolt, but so far that hasn't been a feasible option.

Excuse me while I go play every game released currently at 2560x1440. Most of them on High-Ultra, only games like Crysis 3 on Medium. All at 45fps or higher. Hardly useless at all. 

You didn't care for your Alienware correctly. Mine is silent. 

Excuse me while I go play every game released currently at 2560x1440. Most of them on High-Ultra, only games like Crysis 3 on Medium. All at 45fps or higher. Hardly useless at all. 

You didn't care for your Alienware correctly. Mine is silent. 

What do you mean I "didn't care for it"? It arrived that way. I'd like to see you prove that you're getting those sort of frame rates at that resolution. amd even if you were getting those frame rates, they still aren't very good. Even 60FPS is noticeably worse than 100+, which a DIY desktop will be more than capable of achieving at the price of an M17X.

What do you mean I "didn't care for it"? It arrived that way. I'd like to see you prove that you're getting those sort of frame rates at that resolution. amd even if you were getting those frame rates, they still aren't very good. Even 60FPS is noticeably worse than 100+, which a DIY desktop will be more than capable of achieving at the price of an M17X.

The chassis for the r4 and r3 are nearly identical and mine makes zero noise even while gaming overclocked. Not sure if they revamped the cooling on my model or not, but mine is dead silent. Only have had the fans kick in a few times during 100+ degree days. I'm not going to take a video of me playing with fraps on to prove to someone on a forum that my laptop is performing the way I say it is. And I don't care if a desktop that was the same price as my Alienware performs better than my Alienware laptop. Of course it bloody does, my Alienware is a laptop. I need the portability because I enjoy going to lan parties and playing StarCraft II and Broodware with my buddies. As long as when I'm home, my laptop performs nicely with my monitor I'm happy. 

As to not believing my frames, this is the only proof I'm posting because I don't care enough to take a video and upload it to youtube. 

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970M.72675.0.html

And when two numbers are listed for a setting/ga,e, ignore the one that is red if the two numbers are vastly different. Some of the models they tested on were using AMD CPUs and not the Intel CPUs which evidently makes a large difference. 

All of those are running at the resolution of 1920x1080. Knock 10-15 frames off each setting and that's what I get running at 1440p which is more than enough for me. 

Console>Dell>Alienware (desktops, their laptops are quite nice). 

Why? For a few hundred you can get a nice gaming system that most of your friends own, and is worth the money. Has Blu ray, decent graphics card, good RAM. That pays for itself. 

Now lets get to Dell. In my school there are Dell computers from the stone age running just fine. However, their lower end computers are horrible crap. I mean honestly. HORRIBLE. Their XPS is IMO a great value for a pre built computer and looks rather well. 

Now while their laptops are fine, their desktops are horrible. They look like a elongated shit with LED lighting. Overpriced and not worth the money, and if you go to your Local Fry's the workers there will help you pick out parts and build the system for 80 dollars. 

Again this is my opinion, please respect it and I will respect yours. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

The chassis for the r4 and r3 are nearly identical and mine makes zero noise even while gaming overclocked. Not sure if they revamped the cooling on my model or not, but mine is dead silent. Only have had the fans kick in a few times during 100+ degree days. I'm not going to take a video of me playing with fraps on to prove to someone on a forum that my laptop is performing the way I say it is. And I don't care if a desktop that was the same price as my Alienware performs better than my Alienware laptop. Of course it bloody does, my Alienware is a laptop. I need the portability because I enjoy going to lan parties and playing StarCraft II and Broodware with my buddies. As long as when I'm home, my laptop performs nicely with my monitor I'm happy. 

As to not believing my frames, this is the only proof I'm posting because I don't care enough to take a video and upload it to youtube. 

And when two numbers are listed for a setting/ga,e, ignore the one that is red if the two numbers are vastly different. Some of the models they tested on were using AMD CPUs and not the Intel CPUs which evidently makes a large difference. 

All of those are running at the resolution of 1920x1080. Knock 10-15 frames off each setting and that's what I get running at 1440p which is more than enough for me. 

Yeah their laptops are quite nice. I recently got to try one out at my local computer shop and I actually liked it. As for that POS Aurora, oh god, it looked BAD. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Go on LTT forum: I just bought a new Alienware computer - what the hell is wrong with you, Alienware sucks, you could get better performance with a desktop, it's to heavy anyways, why not just get a mini atx build.

Go on Notebookreview forum: I just bought a new Alienware computer - Nice, lucky, what kind of gpu, I want one

I really hate people that doesn't seem to understand the power laptops seem to have now a day. the 7970m and the 680m are the 7870Ghz/670 desktop equivalent with a little lower frequencies. We overclock them and we are pushing the same frame rate as an overclocked 7870/670.

They come standard with I7 processors that turbo to over 3ghz while playing games. You can even get extreme editions and get 4+ghz on them.

These aren't the crappy laptops they use to be they are desktop replacements.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

No, it's not just 10-15 frames, it's proportional to the number of frames it gets in a certain scenario. A percentage would be more representative, not a subtraction of the same number regardless of the original FPS.

Like you said, they were testing these on different systems with different CPUs, etc. They don't even mention what resolution they were playing at or if it was a clean Windows install. Shows how skilled these benchmarkers really are.

Anyway, if a laptop works better for you, then keep using it. I just think that they're a very poor value for what you get.

No, it's not just 10-15 frames, it's proportional to the number of frames it gets in a certain scenario. A percentage would be more representative, not a subtraction of the same number regardless of the original FPS.

Like you said, they were testing these on different systems with different CPUs, etc. They don't even mention what resolution they were playing at or if it was a clean Windows install. Shows how skilled these benchmarkers really are.

Anyway, if a laptop works better for you, then keep using it. I just think that they're a very poor value for what you get.

My final statement before I leave this conversation is this. I can't fit a monitor, small desktop, and keyboard in my backpack to easily take to my friend's place for a lan party. 

Could you have started a more flame fueled thread?

Exactly.

Locked.