Threat of music piracy one reason Rock Band 4 isn’t coming to PC for now

1592506-971478_20101021_026.jpg

Now, before all you master PC gamers get mad and start giving Harmonix crap over not respecting your gaming needs, lets understand why Rock Band 4 isn't coming out on PC and whether the reasons make logical sense. 

See, Rock Band includes the same music you are free to pirate already, only it contains multiple tracks. For each instrument. For vocals. Basically the entire song before someone presses "export" and creates the .wav master file from which every other version is spawned. So that can be a big deal to the rights holders (aka the music industry) because they clearly don't want what amounts to studio quality files being thrown out. They have a point, rarely do you see studio quality leaks (much less multiple track versions of songs) because that stuff just doesn't happen all the time. I can think of only one song in recent memory that had even a .wav leak. 

Does this mean Rock Band 4 will never come out? Who knows. Maybe they will figure out some crafty DRM that secures the songs or otherwise learn to deal with the environment and just release it. But there it is. Want to grove on to music in a game that is arguably based on a fun series? Go get a platform that isn't a PC. And before you all shit over Harmonix, this was a record label(s) decision. Harmonix doesn't get to say no to what they want when they need songs for their game. 

In a recent interview with Eurogamer, Harmonix Product Manager Daniel Sussman cited those "security issues" in discussing why a PC version of the new rhythm game wasn't currently in the works. "There's something comforting about the closed network that comes along with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One," Sussman said. "That's important to our partners in the music industry."

In a follow-up statement, Harmonix further clarified that it was music rights holders, and not Harmonix itself, that were concerned about the piracy implications of a PC release. That's not that surprising considering the music industry's long-running issues with computer-based piracy and the high-quality, multi-track recordings that are distributed with Rock Band games.

The kind of security that protects those tracks from copying on modern consoles could be done on the PC, but Harmonix would be responsible for it, the statement said. While a PC release is "not off the table for the future, however we're first focusing on delivering Rock Band 4 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this holiday."

They can do some weird encryption thing that Spotify does.

They can do some weird encryption thing that Spotify does.

I've copied spotify music before

And this is mentally fucking retarded. 

"Oh gee, until this game came out, I had no place to pirate this music"

give me a fucking break

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

How'd you do it?

How'd you do it?

ssssh shhhsssssss 

Not as easy as pandora, but it can be done. As long as something is played back on your browser, you can get it. 

I generally don't fuck with it, I just did it just to win yah know 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

If they put the same files in a different platform I don't see how does it make it "unpirateable"

This is a signature.

Guitar hero was better anyways.

(I preferred the round notes to the square bar thing that rockband does, can't adequately explain it.

Been a long time since I played guitar hero, but every time I hear a track that was on it, I have flashbacks to hard mode (never could get the hang of expert)

edit: except two songs, which I knew so well I 100% them on expert the first time I tried them on expert, Iron Man, and Carry on My Wayward Son.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"Oh gee, until this game came out, I had no place to pirate this music"

give me a fucking break

The game doesn't hold single tracks versions of the songs. It holds multiple tracks of a song. Individual streams if it were. That stuff is never seen outside of a studio environment for the most part, THAT is what the record companies don't want getting out there. They have a legitimate reasons for not wanting a PC versions at this point in time. 

If I wanted to pirate music I don't fucking buy a game to then work out how to rip music off it.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

i mean, if consoles never existed, what'd they have done ? what are the alternate solutions ?

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I really don't think this is a major decision for them, these "part games" are probably bigger sellers on consoles by  far anyway. 

muh specs 

All parts black

The game doesn't hold single tracks versions of the songs. It holds multiple tracks of a song. Individual streams if it were. That stuff is never seen outside of a studio environment for the most part, THAT is what the record companies don't want getting out there. They have a legitimate reasons for not wanting a PC versions at this point in time. 

Do any of you even read the fucking articles or do you just start shitposting? 

Personally I got to the word "rockband" and didn't care anymore because I preferred Guitar Hero.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

How'd you do it?

You can record audio for anything you're playing on your PC with something like Audacity (but it will usually record windows sounds if you don't mute em) Also a second device works ok (i.e. play on your mobile phone and connect a cable from headphones to your microphone input on the pc)

It's usually more trouble that is worth though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I really don't think this is a major decision for them, these "part games" are probably bigger sellers on consoles by  far anyway. 

hence my quarry, would this game ever exist if consoles never existed ? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

You can record audio for anything you're playing on your PC with something like Audacity (but it will usually record windows sounds if you don't mute em) Also a second device works ok (i.e. play on your mobile phone and connect a cable from headphones to your microphone input on the pc)

It's usually more trouble that is worth though.

not how I did it, I literally captured some of the playback without recording the whole thing

muh specs 

All parts black

hence my quarry, would this game ever exist if consoles never existed ? 

probably not 

muh specs 

All parts black

Rock Band has never been on the PC anyway. To get the most out of Rock Band, you have to play the game with friends with a good amount of space so you can place all the instruments out and on a TV so everyone can see their notes clearly. To achieve all that you have to play in the living room, where consoles would commonly be and PC's are uncommonly.

Rock Band has never been on the PC anyway. To get the most out of Rock Band, you have to play the game with friends with a good amount of space so you can place all the instruments out and on a TV so everyone can see their notes clearly. To achieve all that you have to play in the living room, where consoles would commonly be and PC's are uncommonly.

Yes because that's literally impossible on PC

*looks at news of steam machines just below the thread*

Oh shit...

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh shit...

I didn't say PCs in the living room are impossible, I said they're uncommon. Don't spin my words around.

Oh shit...

it's not impossible it's traditionally uncommon. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Huh, I never realized people played these sorts of games on the PC anyway. I always thought these were so much better to use on a TV, and I can't imagine that many people specifically setting up their PCs for that...I could be wrong, though. Maybe a lot of people have small PCs or have TVs next to their computers and/or have long cables? I know that some people use TVs as their main monitors, but that can't be common enough for the game to be worth putting on the PC, right?

Can someone explain, please?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

I didn't say PCs in the living room are impossible, I said they're uncommon. Don't spin my words around.

Don't mind him, thats what he does around here. Always takes it to the utmost extreme. 

You're right. It was and still is uncommon. I have people over and I want to do split screen in most modern games. Consoles? I can. Can I take 4 people who were doing split screen custom games in Halo 3 online with me in matchmaking for Big Team? Yup. All off my projector. Its nice. 

Computer? Oh wait. Most FPS games on PC don't have that. Very few games on the PC are designed for that. PC gaming is decidedly a very "lonely" orientated approach still. Playing with friends is not a norm for games. Even with Steam Machines, that doesn't solve the problem that games just aren't designed for that the same way console games are designed for it. 

I think he also conflated the issue. Having PC hardware at your HT setup isn't abnormal. Thats never been a problem. Its having games designed around that social experience that is uncommon for PC gamers. It just doesn't happen, maybe thats why they're not happy. IDK. 

it's not impossible it's traditionally uncommon. 

So are local co op games rare because PCs are not commonly on living rooms or is it the other way around? I guess we won't find out because fuck pirates right?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Huh, I never realized people played these sorts of games on the PC anyway. I always thought these were so much better to use on a TV, and I can't imagine that many people specifically setting up their PCs for that...I could be wrong, though. Maybe a lot of people have small PCs or have TVs next to their computers and/or have long cables?

Can someone explain, please?

Plenty have PCs by their HT setups, thats never been an issue. Its that PC gaming has decidedly been catered to "lonely gamers" (its true, they don't market PC games or PCs in any social context, especially not in the way that they market consoles and console games). So whats the point? Yea ,they could make Rock Band 100% compatible for PC but who does that in enough numbers to make it worth it? Not many people. 

That won't change till PC developers as a whole give PC games the same "social friendly" considerations that console games get. Console games get split screen, multiple local player play and all that fun stuff without any hassles. PC games? Pfft. Be lucky to find that at all these days.