Official Valve Steam Machines: Steam Link Pre Order open and Steam Certified Computers Announced

GoodBytes

Finally, after all these years, Valve is releasing its Steam machine, with a preorder starting now for Steam Link and the game controller, And the first Steam Machine certified computers has been announced, and be released at the end of the year. Other systems will come out from other manufacture but later on.

Alienware_Controller_front_03.0.0.png

The first certified computer system will be running Linux based OS (Steam OS, like all others coming out), and available at Valve own website or you can pre-order it at GameSpot or EB Games in Canada October 16, from my understanding. The system is an Alienware.

The Alienware's Steam Machine starts at $449 US.

The specs of the Alienware for the $449 price tag is:

• Intel Core i3 - 4130T DC
  • 500GB hard drive. No info on speed.
  • 4GB of RAM.
  • Wireless N
  • Custom, soldered on, Nvidia GeForce GPU (similar performance as the GeForce GTX 860M) w/2GB GDDR5
  • Steam Controller
The fanciest model is at $749
  • Intel Core i7 - 4765T QC
  • 1TBhard drive. No info on speed.
  • 8GB of RAM.
  • Dual band Wireless A/C
  • Custom, soldered on, Nvidia GeForce GPU (similar performance as the GeForce GTX 860M) w/2GB GDDR5
  • Steam Controller
Coming out soon, Valve claims on their product page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353390

It should be available at the end of the year.

Steam Link

steam_link.0.0.jpg

The controller and Steam Link are $49 US each.

Screen_Shot_2015-03-04_at_11.45.36_AM.0.

Steam Link is a small box that you connect to your TV (Steam controller not included), and can stream your PC games from a home PC, to it.

You can preorder on Steam own website the game controller and Steam Link and have it by October 16.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/4/8727269/steam-machine-launch-date

tumblr_m6i3m7jtGR1qklrzno2_500.gif

Its so amazing.If i was female this news would have impregnated me. yeah i likely will not buy it though.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Wait what so steam are making the Alienware alpha an official steambox? - I mean its a great little box

cant wait for Link though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

that controller is going to be weird as fuck 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

what 750$ and not even a gpu upgrade ? really ?

though I will buy the controler just cus I want to try it xD

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

It's still an alienware

I hate how these are supposed to compete with consoles but they have a hundred different units with a large variety of specs. When this first became a thing, I was expecting a single "Steam Machine" with decent specs at an affordable price. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

exactly, for that money:

• get a better PC
  • get a Xbox controller (or any other of your preference) which will be miles better than that crappy looking punch box
  • get Steam to start automatically on Big Picture Mode on OS startup (just install Windows as not all games will play on Linux)

Done.

I hate how these are supposed to compete with consoles but they have a hundred different units with a large variety of specs. When this first became a thing, I was expecting a single "Steam Machine" with decent specs at an affordable price.

Agreed. The idea was to be like a game console. 1 decent specs system that can play PC games.

Now it is nothing more than a PC on a TV. Something we can all build easily. Even for little cost by using old computer parts. AND you can install Windows, and run all your games just fine on it locally, or if the system is crappy, then well, stream.

I hate how these are supposed to compete with consoles

I don't think they are at all. Everybody knows they are not going to sell in those quantities. Not for now anyway.

They've released a video about it now:

I don't think any real humans will be able to type that quickly on the controller, or play Cities: Skylines that effectively either for that matter (though if the video really is representative of how normal people will be able to use it, that would be really cool). The double actuation triggers will be interesting, but I will reserve judgement until I have actually tried them (not that I am currently planning to get one) - either it be a really useful mechanic, or you will press them all the time by accident. Same with the "squeeze buttons" on the back.

HTTP/2 203

I think this is going to set a really good precedent for killing off the consoles at the very least, because once newer generations come out they'll have to be more powerful. (Well... they kind of are already...)

I don't think any real humans will be able to type that quickly on the controller, or play Cities: Skylines that effectively either for that matter (though if the video really is representative of how normal people will be able to use it, that would be really cool).

I think it is a real human in the video. But he is probably a valve employee who has enough hours with it to be good at it. I expect a steep learning curve.

"Soldered on GPU" with this thing feels like the wrong way to introduce someone to the world of PC gaming (which includes the "building / customize your own rig!" aspect of it).  People will just look at this as "just another console".

But... with access to Steam's library (AND SALES!!!) I hope it steers the common folks towards PC building.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

The whole fucking point of the Steam box was an upgradable console to fit under your TV and play PC games, it defeats the object of the thing if their gonna start soldering on GPUs.

Typical Dell BS tbh, in a years time it will be a $500 paperweight and you'll be forking out another $500 for the new model instead of opening it up and replacing the ~$150 GPU.

Here's hoping other manufacturers don't start soldering things.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I think it is a real human in the video. But he is probably a valve employee who has enough hours with it to be good at it. I expect a steep learning curve.

Yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if the screen was not entirely representative of what he was actually seeing. I guess we'll find out.

It will be a steep learning curve though, that's for sure.

HTTP/2 203

Afaik the 860m is gonna bottleneck that i7 - 4765T QC.

I don't think any real humans will be able to type that quickly on the controller, or play Cities: Skylines that effectively either for that matter (though if the video really is representative of how normal people will be able to use it, that would be really cool).

Well, there are people like this. There are few but they exist. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Green screen perhaps? Maybe he just pushed random or the correct way and they inserted the TV.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I think this is going to set a really good precedent for killing off the consoles at the very least, because once newer generations come out they'll have to be more powerful. (Well... they kind of are already...)

Right now it's certainly not gonna do that and even Valve knows it. So much so that they are not even trying to kill of consoles.

The only thing they want to do is capture a small niche market with this and use it to increase Linux PC gaming market share from the current 1% to maybe 5%. It will have a knock on positive effect on desktop linux distros like Ubuntu and Debian etc because all the Linux games work on those too. And Valve wants to use that to push PC gaming development in a direction where people make cross-platform games for OSX, Windows and Linux (all pc platforms) using APIs like Vulkan instead of DirectX. Basically they want to broaden PC gaming because they do not want Microsoft to hold all the cards. They see Microsoft holding all the cards as a threat to Steam because of the windows store. As Gabe himself admitted Valve makes its money from Steam. And so it doesn't really matter to them if somebody is using Windows or OSX or SteamOS or random desktop Linux distro. They want to feel safe that they can continue to sell to PC gamers using the steam client.

So far they have been successful in wooing developers to Linux and with this they want to enlarge the Linux target market not to beat Windows (impossible for Valve) but to shift the industry in a direction where most devs by default make games in a way that is more cross-platform. e.g. recent developments such as all the major game engines announcing Linux support and soon to get Vulkan support is what Valve wants. They want the ecosystem and the industry standard tools to be more neutral such that devs will start making cross-OS games by default. They see that as added security for their current business model.

can you play fighting games with that controller?

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

These Steam Machines are a start to something that has a lot of potential so good to see people can start placing their orders for one now.

I dunno, I don't think it's going to take off.  Maybe in the low end market place.

I think Valve will see far more success with those $100 tv streaming dongles.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Not too interested in purchasing a Steam Machine, looking at the specs, with the 860M GPU, seems like the Steam Machines are a year too late.

I do think I will purchase the controller and Steam Link though. 

CPU: Intel 4790k Cooler: Corsair h100i Mobo: ASUS Z97-A RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Storage: Crucial mx100 512GB & x3 2TB HDDs Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM Monitors: Acer XB271HU and Asus VG236 Keyboard: Corsair Gaming k70 RGB Mouse: Cyborg RAT 7 Headset: Sennheiser 558 + Antlion ModMic 4.0 Speakers: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

Controller + link seems like the go i dont need another machine i already have a brix setup in my living room for youtube and netflix etc so this will be a nice addition i can stream my roms and other controller friendly games to the living room now

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Afaik the 860m is gonna bottleneck that i7 - 4765T QC.

Well, there are people like this. There are few but they exist. 

they were using a a mouse+keyboard and not a controller, no one would use a controller in competitive strategy or shooter game.

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz