Apple’s Tim Cook Delivers Blistering Speech On Encryption, Privacy

3.jpg?w=1224

Tim Cook, shooting shots in a blunt manner that only he seems confident enough to pull off these days, especially against companies like Google who built their business out of selling data to make a large profit. 

He isn't wrong, given how his company has a completely different stance on consumer data compared to Google who has a strong financial incentive to farm out your data to bolster their search engines and for marketing and advertising. Its just funny to see someone so openly take shots against the competition for their practices. Some glass houses and all that. 

Coming off the backs of Google Photos, which IMHO is just another way for Google to figure out how to sell you more junk that you don't need. 

“Like many of you, we at Apple reject the idea that our customers should have to make tradeoffs between privacy and security,” Cook opened. “We can, and we must provide both in equal measure. We believe that people have a fundamental right to privacy. The American people demand it, the constitution demands it, morality demands it.”

“I’m speaking to you from Silicon Valley, where some of the most prominent and successful companies have built their businesses by lulling their customers into complacency about their personal information,” said Cook. “They’re gobbling up everything they can learn about you and trying to monetize it. We think that’s wrong. And it’s not the kind of company that Apple wants to be.”

“We don’t think you should ever have to trade it for a service you think is free but actually comes at a very high cost. This is especially true now that we’re storing data about our health, our finances and our homes on our devices,” Cook went on, getting even more explicit when talking about user privacy.

“We believe the customer should be in control of their own information. You might like these so-called free services, but we don’t think they’re worth having your email, your search history and now even your family photos data mined and sold off for god knows what advertising purpose. And we think some day, customers will see this for what it is.”

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/02/apples-tim-cook-delivers-blistering-speech-on-encryption-privacy/

I just gained some respect for Apple.

Still never buying a Mac though.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

Tim Cook  :wub:

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yet, we can still hack Jennifer Lawrence's iCloud

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I just gained some respect for Apple Tim Cook.

Still never buying a Mac though.

FTFY :)

EDIT: also i would agree with this is a lot of talk, but mostly seems like propaganda against competitors. Though his accusations may be accurate i've not seen anything major to support that APPLE is any kind of a saving grace to the tech community as far as security goes. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Well my data being sold, is much better than my data getting hacked and leaked online. Hope this means they're becoming more active in their software security, instead of just making propaganda against competitors.

I mean Apple is a US, company, but I would trust apple the most out of them.

Also that iCloud hack was probably not really apples fault, since otherwise we would've seen more normal people beeing hacked. 

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I mean Apple is a US, company, but I would trust apple the most out of them.

Also that iCloud hack was probably not really apples fault, since otherwise we would've seen more normal people beeing hacked. 

Normal people don't have pic's you can sell to all these "celeb nude / gossip" sites for stupid money.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

>Speech

>Is actually not standing it up and doing it live

>Is on some giant screen while elites clap to him

>Tim Cook is the orcastrator of the NWO confirmed

In all seriousness though this video doesn't make me respect him. He is just rehashing the criticisms of google that people have been saying for years. Additionally everyone should know that this is just a marketing act trying to smear google and raise Apple up as a protector of data/privacy. 

Normal people don't have pic's you can sell to all these "celeb nude / gossip" sites for stupid money.

Actually, some of them have, and I bet that 20% or more have pics that would be nsfw, and even more would have pics for which they would pay not to be shown

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Actually, some of them have, and I bet that 20% or more have pics that would be nsfw, and even more would have pics for which they would pay not to be shown

... you missed my point. I'm talking about selling to sites like "celebnudesherelol.com" that buy celeb pic's for stupid money. Why on earth would i hack a random user with drunk nudes at a party / nudes selfie folder to the bf/gf for a few hundred when i can blag celeb pics that'll sell for 10s of thousands more. Sure there will be normal people with the cash to "buy out" their pics going online but Joe Bloggs vs J-Lo ? J-Lo everytime

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Yet, we can still hack Jennifer Lawrence's iCloud

A: They have improved that with 2 factor authentication.

B: My understanding is that was largely due to weak password choice which if so was wholly preventable if a stronger pw was in play.

Yawn. As long as there are companies out there that continue to think buying data on me is going to make them money (not realizing the cheap ass I am), I want that money to continue to go to google who continues to provide me with sweet products and services.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Well my data being sold, is much better than my data getting hacked and leaked online. Hope this means they're becoming more active in their software security, instead of just making propaganda against competitors.

Was it actually hacked though? I heard some details that people phished for passwords.

Blistering speeches are great, but how do they change the fact that the US government can disallow companies to provide secure encrypted storage (Lavabit) and considers itself to have jurisdiction over all servers of American companies worldwide (The legal battle Microsoft made a big deal about starting, but hasn't won)?

As long as Apple is based in a Five Eyes country, claiming to provide security and privacy is outright false advertising. Although now that I look through the transcript again, it looks like he was pretty careful not to actually claim that they're providing privacy. Merely that they believe in it, which is so very sweet of them.

Actions speak louder than words, Mr. Cook.

This speech points the finger at Apple's competitors and blames them for security and privacy concerns, whilst failing to address the irrefutable fact that Apple themselves have been guilty of employing woefully inadequate security and privacy protection systems. Until such a time as Apple have established a concrete track record of rigid security enforcement and absolute protection of privacy, they have no right to position themselves as the go-to choice for consumers interested in or concerned about such.

As it stands right now, if you are concerned about security and privacy on a mobile device your only option is BlackBerry.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Was it actually hacked though? I heard some details that people phished for passwords.

Apple is still partly to blame as they allowed their mobile app to attempt unlimited times to prevent people from locking them selfs out after a password change as the app would still have the old one and would keep trying to use that one. It was also weak passwords that could be brute forced. So part Apple and part user. This is also why only some celebs were "hacked" as their passwords were guess, not someone on the other side with complete access to icloud.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Not a fan of apple's design choices a lot of the time, but most of the time they're a p chill company.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)