GTX 980ti really that good value

So with the new realease of the 980ti I was super excited and then I looked at AMD side and remembered that they have an R9 295x2 which has 2gb more of vRAM and is cheaper. So I looked up benchmarks and saw the r9 295x2 beating it. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/13so I was wondering why is everyone so hyped up and saying AMD is in a bad spot the only perks of the 980ti is see is better power savings and less heat output and more optimised titles and from what I've heard better drivers yet for the amount your saving $25-$75 taking the free games into a count doesn't seem worth it to me.

Like I told you in the other thread, the 295x2:

• has worse frame times
  • has to have more heat dissipated in comparison
  • requires an AIO
  • is a dual GPU card which is why there are issues like I mentioned above

But... AMD bad Nvidia for life?... Right? AMD = bad, can't game on AMD? I thought AMD was garbage from everything I constantly hear from everyone about them

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

The 295x2 also consumes 500W+ and not all games properly support CFX or SLI. And considering how close it is to a 295x2 or dual GTX 970s, it's pretty impressive that a new single card can keep up with two of the lower tier. And AMD aren't in the best spot, they haven't been for a while. Their GPU game is strong, but the GPU side only won't keep them alive.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

So with the new realease of the 980ti I was super excited and then I looked at AMD side and remembered that they have an R9 295x2 which has 2gb more of vRAM and is cheaper. So I looked up benchmarks and saw the r9 295x2 beating it. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/13so I was wondering why is everyone so hyped up and saying AMD is in a bad spot the only perks of the 980ti is see is better power savings and less heat output and more optimised titles and from what I've heard better drivers yet for the amount your saving $25-$75 taking the free games into a count doesn't seem worth it to me.

The R9 295X2 is dual GPU. So every time you see "R9 295X2" just replace it with "dual R9 290X", and throw in dual GTX 970s into the mix while you're at it, at $300-350 it's about the same price bracket as the 980 Ti. Don't let the whole "single card" thing fool you. Consider it in EXACTLY the same way as you would consider the argument if we were talking about two lower cards in CrossFire vs a single stronger one, that's literally what this comparison is.

-snip-

Maybe with the changes coming to how Crossfire works with DX12 will also help out dual GPUs. I'm hyped to see how well Crossfire setups perform after. Split frame rendering and being able to utilize both cards' memory is going to be interesting to see working

But still it's just like SLIing two 970s and comparing it to the GTX 980 ti

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Think of it this way, the 980ti is a $650 Titan X.

No... the TITAN X is a $1000 GTX 980 Ti. The 980 Ti isn't a good value, it's that the TITAN X is way overpriced. But if the 980 Ti seems like a good value to you then I guess NVIDIA's marketing plan is working. Release something incredibly overpriced, then lower the price and it will look like a good value. That's basically what they've done, just a marketing 101 trick :) apparently still effective though...

Maybe with the changes coming to how Crossfire works with DX12 will also help out dual GPUs. I'm hyped to see how well Crossfire setups perform after. Split frame rendering and being able to utilize both cards' memory is going to be interesting to see working

But still it's just like SLIing two 970s and comparing it to the GTX 980 ti

I expect frame times to be way better in Dx12 titles with Crossfire and SLI, as well as just performance scaling in general as well.

The R9 295X2 is dual GPU. So every time you see "R9 295X2" just replace it with "dual R9 290X", and throw in dual GTX 970s into the mix while you're at it, at $300-350 it's about the same price bracket as the 980 Ti. Don't let the whole "single card" thing fool you. Consider it in EXACTLY the same way as you would consider the argument if we were talking about two lower cards in CrossFire vs a single stronger one, that's literally what this comparison is.

Ahh so pretty much you don't have to deal with sli or crossfire problems. Well that makes sense. Besides Minecraft what games have Sli or Crossfire issues

Its value at 4k today, in a years time the x70 line will be close to it. So kinda. At this price point value is a misnomer.

I'd go for the 980Ti right now, honestly.

But then again I'm waiting on Fury.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

I expect frame times to be way better in Dx12 titles with Crossfire and SLI, as well as just performance scaling in general as well.

I hope so too. As of right now it's really cost-inefficient to SLI or Crossfire GPUs because the scaling is so bad. 4-way SLI provides almost nothing over 3-way SLI

Ahh so pretty much you don't have to deal with sli or crossfire problems. Well that makes sense. Besides Minecraft what games have Sli or Crossfire issues

AFAIK you still get most of the crossfire problems with dual-gpu cards

AFAIK you still get most of the crossfire problems with dual-gpu cards

If its like that then AAA games don't have good or don't support sli/crossfire.

look here dude i have 2 r9 290s and while a scaled down version of the r9 290x they are power hungry cards and not only that they also produce a lot of heat in a very short amount of time(great for winter days believe me just turn on your pc and wait awhile for your room to be toasty) Nvidias cards run cooler than amd's cards however, when amd says 4GB of vram they mean 4GB (shots fired)

Think of it this way, the 980ti is a $650 Titan X.

Or the Titan X is a $1,000 GTX980 Ti.

No... the TITAN X is a $1000 GTX 980 Ti. The 980 Ti isn't a good value, it's that the TITAN X is way overpriced. But if the 980 Ti seems like a good value to you then I guess NVIDIA's marketing plan is working. Release something incredibly overpriced, then lower the price and it will look like a good value. That's basically what they've done, just a marketing 101 trick :) apparently still effective though...

Ik about Nvidia's marketing ploy I was just trying to put it in perspective in terms of performance :)

Makes the 980 a stupid choice and a massive FU to Titan X buyers.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

There is one difference.

The 295x2 comes with a warrantied pre installed liquid cooling set up that keeps the card cooler than any air cooled SLI/crossfire set up and expels it outside of your case. Which is why Im confused over why people keep bringing up heat as a criticism of the 295x2. If anything temperatures are its strong point. Power draw admittedly sucks, but heat is a non issue.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Makes the 980 a stupid choice and a massive FU to Titan X buyers.

Well at least TitanX  buyers say I got 2x as much vRAM and I run 2-5 more fps OOTB

There is one difference.

The 295x2 comes with a warrantied pre installed liquid cooling set up that keeps the card cooler than any air cooled SLI/crossfire set up and expels it outside of your case. Which is why Im confused over why people keep bringing up heat as a criticism of the 295x2. If anything temperatures are its strong point. Power draw admittedly sucks, but heat is a non issue.

sure the gpu temps are fine but it being liquid cooled means its going to be kicking more heat into the space your in not sure about how your living but my room is small something like 13x13 sq ft when a card like this is on in a room this small things tend to heat up to the 70-80 degree range which is lovely in the winter not so in blazing summer heat

Well at least TitanX  buyers say I got 2x as much vRAM and I run 2-5 more fps OOTB

I guess your right.

Well worth the extra 400

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

sure the gpu temps are fine but it being liquid cooled means its going to be kicking more heat into the space your in not sure about how your living but my room is small something like 13x13 sq ft when a card like this is on in a room this small things tend to heat up to the 70-80 degree range which is lovely in the winter not so in blazing summer heat

Is it worth $45 counting the free games for 850w barely being enough and turning your room into a fireplace I guess this card is a beast. AMD is in a rough spot.

Like I told you in the other thread, the 295x2:

• has worse frame times
  • has to have more heat dissipated in comparison
  • requires an AIO

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/powercolor-devil-13-dual-amd-r9-290x-review,3853.html

05-Temperatures.png

You're right about frametimes and dual GPU though.  But the former is negligible for most people.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti