Nvidia brings GameWorks to Android. Supports non Nvidia chips

AlexGoesHigh

AndroidWorks-logo-232x149.jpgAndroidWorksSideGraphic.png

Well with the recent news about GameWorks killing competitors hardware performance. Nvidia has announced that GameWorks is coming to Android, with a lot of their sauce so developers can use their tools to make gaming engines and games for android. Nvidia says its bringing their tool set to Android called AndroidWorks to simplify the development process of the platform, the biggest new is that it works with non Nvidia chips, which should make the tool set worthwhile since you aren't constrained to just 3 or 4 devices.

Right now AndroidWorks has been tested on the ARM based Nexus 7 2013 and the x86 based Nexus Player. The tool set has full support for profiling and debugging tools as well as integration with popular IDE's, even for MS Visual Studio, Nvidia is claiming support for more SoC and devices will come soon with regular updates.

Source: AnandTech

I guess this was about to happen at some point give Nvidia has a line consisting 3 different devices running Android, though is really surprising their are expanding outside their own hardware which is great, though i guess people will be cautious given the recent controversy surrounding GameWorks.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I don't like this.

but gaming on android is still an incredibly niche thing (or at least, games that would need these tools) so right now I don't care. and so long as it runs on non-nvidia hardware well, I don't care.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Hopefully your phone doesn't use AMD :P

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

This is a no brainer for Nvidia. Like it or not, Gameworks has been successful on the pc so this will be even more successful on Android

EDIT FOR THE FANBOYS: This post is neutral.  Not in favor of Nvidia's tactics or not. I was simply saying it was an evolutionary step for Nvidia.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I guess they have to make their presence in the Android space somehow justified. Their Tegra line is getting destroyed by the competition.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

This is a no brainer for Nvidia. Like it or not, Gameworks has been successful on the pc so this will be even more successful on Android

Has it been successful? Why do you say such thing? Can you support such claim?

Just to be clear, my concept of successful is about traction and adoption, nothing else.

780ti and even the 970 struggles on gameworks titles maxed, but a fucking phone it's gonna cut it? Cute Nvidia.

-------

Current Rig

-------

GameWorks is the worst thing the industry has seen in years. Historically speaking (AMD still does this) any time advancement is made in graphics via api/software optimization like TressFX the companies will let the world benefit and release the code. That way all developers and consumers can benefit. Nvidia will soon face the dilemma of opening the framework or suffer the same fate that Glide did for Voodoo.

Good, bring all the pretty physics and particles to mobile.

GameWorks/TressFX are only two of hundreds of physics engines. Games on mobile has had physics support for a very long time.

GameWorks/TressFX are only two of hundreds of physics engines. Games on mobile has had physics support for a very long time.

Arguably inferior support.

I see you bringing up TressFX, as if that thing matters.

Arguably inferior support.

I see you bringing up TressFX, as if that thing matters.

Inferior support? Please do indulge me in regards to this support. If you're referring to Nvidia giving support for making use of their engine? I would say no. I think everyone here like me who writes games will contest that an open source engine with a large community built around it is far better than anything Nvidia could offer a developer.

Inferior support? Please do indulge me in regards to this support. If you're referring to Nvidia giving support for making use of their engine? I would say no. I think everyone here like me who writes games will contest that an open source engine with a large community built around it is far better than anything Nvidia could offer a developer.

And yet who do developers CHOSE to work with?

Here's a hint: it's not the poor AMD. It's Nvidia. Because Nvidia offers more support, more features and seemingly is more involved in game development and driver optimization than AMD has a snowballs chance in hell of being.

Nobody gives a shit about AMDs "technology". You can go claiming they made DX12, offer "open" APIs and make gamers shit sunshine and rainbows but the reality is they're just worse at being a company than Intel or Nvidia, and that upsets fanboys when their favoured company isn't doing so well.

Has it been successful? Why do you say such thing? Can you support such claim?

Just to be clear, my concept of successful is about traction and adoption, nothing else.

GameWorks is the worst thing the industry has seen in years. Historically speaking (AMD still does this) any time advancement is made in graphics via api/software optimization like TressFX the companies will let the world benefit and release the code. That way all developers and consumers can benefit. Nvidia will soon face the dilemma of opening the framework or suffer the same fate that Glide did for Voodoo.

Edited my original post for clarification. I wasn't showing bias in favor of Gameworks/Nvidia, rather that it is an evolutionary step for Nvidia.

From a business perspective Gameworks has been successful: it helps sell cards. There is no bashing of AMD here, just pointing out the obvious.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Which would you choose? Rag tag code or having some smart people sent your way that actually know what the hell they're doing? Common sense points towards the people sent your way.

And yet who do developers CHOSE to work with?

Here's a hint: it's not the poor AMD. It's Nvidia. Because Nvidia offers more support, more features and seemingly is more involved in game development and driver optimization than AMD has a snowballs chance in hell of being.

Nobody gives a shit about AMDs "technology". You can go claiming they made DX12, offer "open" APIs and make gamers shit sunshine and rainbows but the reality is they're just worse at being a company than Intel or Nvidia, and that upsets fanboys when their favoured company isn't doing so well.

Neither. You guys without experience in this area treat the game industry as if there's only two sources for such engines. I would tell you guys to get both a grip and a clue as neither GameWorks nor TressFX for that matter are the most common physics engines.

Which would you choose? Rag tag code or having some smart people sent your way that actually know what the hell they're doing? Common sense points towards the people sent your way.

I would choose a community of people that makes both Nvidia's and AMD's software teams look like a bunch of skids. The support is also entirely free as the use of the physics engine. A company offering support to use their software doesn't justify it being good software. There's a lot of compiled shit out there that's nothing more than shit once you disassemble it and look at it. Source code in hand with the ability to manipulate it to your liking is far better than someone preaching what parameters you need to push to the stack in order to get function Z to work properly. If you ever get hung up, you just post on their forums and other developers will help you resolve the problem.

Same typical AMD clownboy's ruining another perfectly good thread. Why do you bother posting if you don't like the forum discussion and always shit on discussions others would like to have without the irrelevant and grossly derisory rhetoric?

These are the guys who decry the closed nature of PhysX yet don't utter a word that Havok is just as closed off and proprietary.

Then use the "you guys don't know about this industry" excuse as if they have authority because they know how to be script kiddies. Honestly. The condescension is palpable. It's insulting.

If gameworks does for android what it is doing for pc then I don't see what the problem is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If gameworks does for android what it is doing for pc then I don;t see what the problem is.

I hope Apple and MS get in on this as well. Mobile gaming can clearly handle better looking games (look at what Apple showcases with Unreal Engine). It's not a lost cause.

Someone has to push the threshold, might as well be the company that already works hard on desktop gaming development and actually cares.

My gosh.... In any thread with the word "Nvidia" or "AMD", always the same group of people arguing the same things all over again. 

OT: Oh shit...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I hope Apple and MS get in on this as well. Mobile gaming can clearly handle better looking games (look at what Apple showcases with Unreal Engine). It's not a lost cause.

Someone has to push the threshold, might as well be the company that already works hard on desktop gaming development and actually cares.

ms is definitely going to push mobile gaming, so much so that you can play those same games on the pc, seriously, dx12 is a given that will be available for windows 10 mobile, they also have those top down halo shooters and apple, well, they have metal and their curated lists aren't full of popular f2p crap

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Pushing boundaries = sabotaging consumer choice

Right? Am I doing this right?

Pushing boundaries = sabotaging consumer choice

Right? Am I doing this right?

Pretty much, maybe invoke Godwin's law or something too just to keep things fresh.

ms is definitely going to push mobile gaming, so much so that you can play those same games on the pc, seriously, dx12 is a given that will be available for windows 10 mobile, they also have those top down halo shooters and apple well, they have metal and their curated lists aren't full of popular f2p crap

Apple truly knows how to push a new set of APIs or programming language. Infinity Blade 3 has the storyline that only Twilight fans will think is good, yet it is visually robust and truly leverages what you can do on mobile hardware.

You're goddamn right I want GameWorks implementations outside of the desktop realm. AMD ain't doing shit, doesn't mean Nvidia is obliged to sit on their asses as well.