" if you don't want to hit a person in the street, that will cost $3,000 extra" says Volvo's "spokesperson" ?

wait , it isn't a self driving car ? 

No its just a normal car with parking assist

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't think self driving cars have hit the market yet...

Edit: Wait... I've noticed that you've quoted someone in your signature with a "Read the Code of Conduct: it's like a guide on how to not be a moron. "  right below it.

I'm not sure what you're actually supposed to mean by that but it looks like shaming to me... Wouldn't this go against the coc of not being a dick?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

this shows that we're not ready for this yet

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I don't think self driving cars have hit the market yet...

I think self-driving lorries are a thing already, aren't they?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Why should they just give you a feature they spent millions of dollars developing?

Seriously now people, get real. You pay for skins in CSGO, but you wouldn't pay for additional equipment in a car? Maybe they should give you free BOSE speakers and top of the line engine too?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Can you give this car a destination to drive to, and the watch as it navigates there on it's own? NO!

If the car moves, stops, turns, it is because the driver of the vehicle used the pedals and wheels to command it.

The automatic parking feature also require human input to work, you can't just press a button, then exit the vehicle. The car will not move.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

No its just a normal car with parking assist

this shows that we're not ready for this yet

Updated the OT

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I think self-driving lorries are a thing already, aren't they?

I think that's the auto cruise feature... I've only ever heard about it though... but I'm guessing you still have to park the lorry yourself?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I think that's the auto cruise feature... I've only ever heard about it though... but I'm guessing you still have to park the lorry yourself?

No idea, I think Wallmart is using them. Lemme do a quick research.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

it's not a business argument. it is a moral argument. you're confusing the two.

in business we throw morals out of the window and say "lives? buahah, what is that?.. profits? oh I know that word!"

when we discuss morals 85% of business', although "people" in the courts, have none. because they are being run by immoral people.

"we need to cut cost"

"fine, cut safety measure"

- immoral business practice.

"we need to make a cheaper version for this car so more people can afford it."

"Just don't add the automatic braking feature, people have been that feature themselves for quite a while now"

-actual business practice

And saying "I wasn't told what I was not getting with this" is bullshit, you are most likely given a list of additional features you can buy, you are told EXACTLY what you get. If you were not, you are either not buying the car from an authorised dealer, or you weren't paying attention.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

it's a security feature of a self driving car, it's not an extra it' necessary, especially for an self driving cars.

It's not a self driving car.

"we need to make a cheaper version for this car so more people can afford it."

"Just don't add the automatic braking feature, people have been that feature themselves for quite a while now"

-actual business practice

And saying "I wasn't told what I was not getting with this" is bullshit, you are most likely given a list of additional features you can buy, you are told EXACTLY what you get. If you were not, you are either not buying the car from an authorised dealer, or you weren't paying attention.

"it's the consumers fault"

- immoral business.

So you expect them to make a product and have losses to the company?

So what have people been doing all these years? You are taught how to drive and know how to stop infront of a human.

The safer version is literally just for people who are too uncomfortable to drive.

They could, you know ONLY have the more expensive version...

Oh wait they're a corporation

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

All I'm getting out of this is that Volvo did nothing wrong and idiots with cameras are bigger idiots than we thought. It would also appear there are some people on this forum who can't read particularly well. Anyone who blames Volvo for these idiots' actions is out of their mind.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

"it's the consumers fault"

- immoral business.

"Looks like someone bought one of our cars, then proceeded to running over a man, I guess that's our fault somehow"

Unless the car has a malfunction, like the brakes just stop working, it is the driver responsibility to maintain control over the vehicle to avoid accidents.

Would it be a moral business if they actually took responsibility AWAY from the drivers? If it isn't the consumer's fault then they are free to go on a killing spree with their new Volvo I guess.

The safety measures, that are marketed as a separate addition, are meant to help in normal DRIVING conditions, not "lets see if the car will save us" conditions. Not to mention it would be a potentially dangerous feature if it triggered for every scenario.

Spoiler

Volvo seems to think more of their wallet than pedestrian safety. Ye I know, they have invested lot of money for that safety feature but I think that it's kinda dull to put a price for safety improving feature. 

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"

Volvo seems to think more of their wallet than pedestrian safety. Ye I know, they have invested lot of money for that safety feature but I think that it's kinda dull to put a price for safety improving feature. 

Despite the name of the video, I'm fairly certain that they weren't even testing self parking. From the articles I have read, it appears they were expecting the vehicle to auto brake to avoid hitting the pedestrian despite the driver having his foot on the accelerator. So the feature that you are able to purchase isn't to stop hitting people when it auto parks, it is for when you are driving slowly in traffic for example not full on accelerating towards an idiot with a camera!

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

"Looks like someone bought one of our cars, then proceeded to running over a man, I guess that's our fault somehow"

the rest of your argument is invalid because this quote is a fallacy.

the man in question wouldn't hit the gas. his job is to hit the brakes. auto-parking will do the gas peddlin for you.

if auto-park is hitting the gas and can't tell the difference between a fire hydrant and a pedestrian, then it shouldn't be hitting the gas at all; should it?

This is not Volvo's fault in anyway. If you need your fucking car to prevent YOU from hitting a pedestrian then you should have your license stripped from you and never drive a motor vehicle again.

It is not Volvo's responsibility to prevent YOU from being a dumb ass.

Edit: Jesus so much stupidity on display in this thread. Auto assisting features are NOT there to make up for driver incompetence. If you cannot maintain 100% control of a motor vehicle, regardless of what auto assist/self-driving features it has or doesn't have, you should NOT be driving. Period.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Plenty of car companies could implement this technology in their cars, but let's be real here. This is not industry standard technology. There is no law saying cars must have this. It isn't as if Volvo is being cheap, there are many other car manufacturers that do this exact same thing.

This feature is above and beyond. It's not needed. People have been driving cars for decades and we've been able to do it [mostly] without mowing over pedestrians daily. We don't need this to drive, it's a bonus feature (same as lane departure warnings, blind spot detection, backup camera, park assist etc).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

so much stupidity on this entire forum

fixed it for you

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Plenty of car companies could implement this technology in their cars, but let's be real here. This is not industry standard technology. There is no law saying cars must have this. It isn't as if Volvo is being cheap, there are many other car manufacturers that do this exact same thing.

This feature is above and beyond. It's not needed. People have been driving cars for decades and we've been able to do it without mowing over pedestrians daily. We don't need this to drive, it's a bonus feature (same as lane departure warnings, blind spot detection, backup camera, park assist etc).

Ye you are right. It's just a bonus feature. I made my judgement little too quickly and forgot to use logic. 

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"