NASA finds distant galaxy shining as bright as 300 trillion suns

TwistedDictator

wise-galaxy.jpg

Ever tried looking at the sun with your bare eyes? Too bright, right? Now imagine looking at something with the brightness of 300 trillion suns. That's how intense "the most luminous galaxy found to date" is, so much so that NASA has created a new classification for it and the 19 other similar galaxies it has discovered: extremely luminous infrared galaxies, or ELIRGs. Scientists have recently spotted the ELIRGs in infrared images of the sky taken by the agency's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) space telescope in 2010. This particular one is located 12.5 billion light years away, which means it started forming soon after the universe was born 13.8 billion years ago. As for why it's so incredibly brilliant, NASA JPL scientist Chao-Wei Tsai says it "may be from the main growth spurt of the galaxy's black hole."

See, some galaxies have supermassive black holes in the center that actively absorb gas, dust and other matter that form a disc around them. These discs radiate a ton of energy and make the black holes look brighter than stars. Some black holes are a lot more ravenous than others, though, attracting more matter than their less voracious counterparts and, as such, are several degrees more luminous and massive. To wit: the bigger the black hole, the larger the disc and the brighter the whole galaxy.

Source

More Galaxy could mean a planet with life form. If we belive in the big bang then it is very possible that there is some form of life form some where out there. I just feel sorry for them as they dont have someone awesome like me ;(

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Meh, impossible to reach other galaxies anyway. We will most likely find some form of life in our own galaxy after a while. (thousands of years) 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Meh, impossible to reach other galaxies anyway. We will most likely find some form of life in our own galaxy after a while. (thousands of years) 

It's sad isn't it. :(

It's sad isn't it. :(

It's somewhere in the meh category, it's sad how we humans act so stupid when we know so much. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I will pass on your CV  :P

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Even without the big bang. If the universe is as big as we think it is, then other life and possibly life at the level of deity status exists.

possibly life at the level of deity status exists.

What's your proof for that.

We know that life can exist because carbon bonds form themselves all the time that is why we speculate.

Spoiler

What's your proof for that.

4294_keira_knightley.jpg

Seeing how were not even close to being able to get to a neighbouring star in anything that resembles a workable amount of time, us finding other life outside our solar system and meeting it is in the out to lunch camp.

With a speed limit of less than C, we're not going anywhere soon.  To even accelerate the smallest mass to the speed of light would require more energy then exists in our system.  Physics is a brutal mistress.

OT that's a radical galaxy.  I would assume that along with the extremely large amount of infrared radiation are corresponding radical amounts of other radiation bands, making the odds for life there harder to imagine(for me).

Too far away ... Technology isn't advance enough to get there anyways ... Sad ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

4294_keira_knightley.jpg

Seeing how were not even close to being able to get to a neighbouring star is anything that resembles a workable amount of time, us finding other life outside our solar system and meeting it is in the out to lunch camp.

With a speed limit of less than C, we're not going anywhere soon.  To even accelerate the smallest mass to the speed of light would require more energy then exists in our system.  Physics is a brutal mistress.

OT that's a radical galaxy.  I would assume that along with the extremely large amount of infrared radiation are corresponding radical amounts of other radiation bands, making the odds for life there harder to imagine(for me).

This came up recently. not a solution, but it's one small step for mankind.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/04/nasa-may-have-accidentally-developed-a-warp-drive/

Not sure how much I trust the source, but it's an interesting read.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/04/nasa-may-have-accidentally-developed-a-warp-drive/

It's been circling for a while, I recall seeing it last year.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/technology/warp/warp.html

The bulk of scientific knowledge concludes that it’s impossible, especially when considering Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. There are certainly some credible concepts in scientific literature, however it’s too soon to know if they are viable.

Science fiction writers have given us many images of interstellar travel, but traveling at the speed of light is simply imaginary at present.

They've already said its no where near being anything that they can use yet.Its going to take a lot more science to perfect anything capable of propelling a spaceship . We can only dream . Maybe area 51 has something  :P

no they recently did an experiment, now they will be doing another one, and then one in microgravity, of course it's a slow process

Spoiler

Yeah, the problem isn't so much the theory, so much as making it possible with modest energy constraints. After all fusion power is possible, making it economically viable, and    containable is where we're stuck at the moment.

Give us a few decades. It might be far more likely.

I just wanna have my own Asari. I don't think I'm asking too much.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

no they recently did an experiment, now they will be doing another one, and then one in microgravity, of course it's a slow process

I take it your quoting the less significant of my posts means your are denying my submission...I will bring the knightly light to your darkened shores yet heathen!

It's probably beyond me, but I don't see the EM drive and warp drive as the same.  Ya know, with that whole controlling the warping of spacetime in front of the vehicle and whatnot.

mog1.gif

I bet there is life in that galaxy!

If the concept art is beautiful I wonder how a ELIRG really looks. I hope it is equally beautiful in its own right. <33

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'm hoping there's intelligent life out there in outer space, cause there's bugger all down here on earth.......

How much are you willing to bet that humans would end up in a conflict if that were to ever happen? Conflict is in human nature, and world peace cannot be had as long as there are humans left on this planet. Now imagine if some intelligent lifeforms were found... There would most likely be some sort of conflict eventually, ignited by humans if the other intelligent life form wouldn't do it first.

Just my two cents.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

How much are you willing to bet that humans would end up in a conflict if that were to ever happen? Conflict is in human nature, and world peace cannot be had as long as there are humans left on this planet. Now imagine if some intelligent lifeforms were found... There would most likely be some sort of conflict eventually, ignited by humans if the other intelligent life form wouldn't do it first.

Just my two cents.

If you consider the possibility that natural selection would play a role in the evolution of any intelligent species, then conflict would//could be in their nature as well.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If you consider the possibility that natural selection would play a role in the evolution of any intelligent species, then conflict would//could be in their nature as well.

I agree, though I think that whole "conflict is human nature" thing is complete garbage...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I agree, though I think that whole "conflict is human nature" thing is complete garbage...

Well it is human nature. It's the nature of any consumer type species. Even herbivores compete for mates, and that's all human conflict is in the end, sublimated sex drive.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Meh, impossible to reach other galaxies anyway.

ahem...    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

It's not proven that it works, but it's not been proven that it doesn't either, so who's to say it's impossible?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

ahem...    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

It's not proven that it works, but it's not been proven that it doesn't either, so who's to say it's impossible?

You do know that you would literally have to blindly jump to other galaxies because what we can observe happened either thousands or millions of years ago.

Spoiler