SilverStone Headphone Stand Design Contest

This one looks awesome, favorite on this thread so far. Couple of suggestions tho.

1. Make the backplate shorter.

2. Maybe put a SilverStone or an LTT logo somewhere

3. Add cable management.

Yours totally outclasses mine. Did you use just SketchUp or did you use other stuff too?

I can't help but notice that the site that this uses has some pretty bad bugs.

Firstly, the site for some reason can't seem to tell I'm in the US and gives me the British version of the site with different dates and stuff. When I try to change it, it simply changes it back to GB for me. Secondly, the layout (CSS or Javascript? Not sure, I think JavaScript) is really messed up.

78Z9FGh.png

Third, the descriptions for some reason retain all the headers and formatting, for no apparent reason. Last of all, I CAN'T VIEW MY OWN MODEL! It just sends me to a 404 Not Found page. Seriously? For a site hosting a pretty important event, it seems like some stuff was skimped on.

duWGYw7.pngr6qfAAC.png

@JMY1000 and why the hell are you reporting it here and not to MyMiniFactory themselves?

Also, I dont really see any problems. Maybe try to use real browser?

This one looks awesome, favorite on this thread so far. Couple of suggestions tho.

1. Make the backplate shorter.

2. Maybe put a SilverStone or an LTT logo somewhere

3. Add cable management.

Yours totally outclasses mine. Did you use just SketchUp or did you use other stuff too?

1) I answered my reasoning for a slightly thick backplate in my thread. Here is the exact post link: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/370224-closed-your-opinions-on-my-headphone-stand/?p=5015037

2) that's what the hexagon is for. Couldn't be bothered to do the entire logo, so I only did the outline. Not too sure where to put an LTT logo.

3) Gonna find a way to implement it right now.

Everything was done on SketchUp.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

If Linus wants to solve that problem of many sets of headphones on the desk at once... I would suggest building a simple stand for ALL of them. I would do this using PVC tubes... Basically get the lengths of PVC needed and the different connectors for example in this case I would use mainly right angle connectors and some reasonably long tubing. Connect it all together as a frame on which to place each pair of headphones on and thus creating your own cheap and easy to build stand for as many sets of headphones as you like. 

Basically create something along the lines of the below image only slightly different so that it provides the perfect height and width for as many sets of headphones as you like. Unfortunately this will not help with the amount of wires scattered about the desk but it takes care of the bigger issue. 

0b774306a47f9d5063b1da7417dd17c2.jpg

I've submitted my design as well.

2 Parts that are machined from Aluminum and 1 part that gets die stamped.

It is a twist and lock design with 3 magnets that prevent the base from being to loose.

Also with this design is should be easy for Silverstone to offer a shorter single headset mount an a longer double headset option. Only the arm needs to be changed.

full.jpg

full.jpg

-snip-

Just uploaded rev 2.0 

Your thoughts?

yAJGFvS.png

MUgcYiW.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

I've submitted my design as well.

2 Parts that are machined from Aluminum and 1 part that gets die stamped.

It is a twist and lock design with 3 magnets that prevent the base from being to loose.

Also with this design is should be easy for Silverstone to offer a shorter single headset mount an a longer double headset option. Only the arm needs to be changed.

full.jpg

full.jpg

This one is awesome, I made my first of many iterations yesterday and this one is a little bit similar! Still have some changes to make, but I have a question; How did you do your threading for the screws? I am not sure if screws would be needed, since nails or adhesives are an option, but I want to create at least one iteration that has screw bosses in it. I'm using SOLIDWORKS, not sure if you are using a similar program, and the render looks like Keyshot. Also a little bit confused by your exploded view, looks like the main piece is backwards? Very cool regardless. 

EDIT: First time posting pics on here; https://www.flickr.com/photos/57247774@N06/17779842059/in/dateposted-public/

Pls no logos

Was hoping for swag points.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

This one is awesome, I made my first of many iterations yesterday and this one is a little bit similar! Still have some changes to make, but I have a question; How did you do your threading for the screws? I am not sure if screws would be needed, since nails or adhesives are an option, but I want to create at least one iteration that has screw bosses in it. I'm using SOLIDWORKS, not sure if you are using a similar program, and the render looks like Keyshot. Also a little bit confused by your exploded view, looks like the main piece is backwards? Very cool regardless. 

EDIT: First time posting pics on here; https://www.flickr.com/photos/57247774@N06/17779842059/in/dateposted-public/

I use Autodesk Inventor for the drawings, it has to option to makes holes that are threaded, it doesn't physically model the threads, but the program knows it.

The exploded view shows how to assemble it, so you push the Arm through the Base and then secure it from the back.

The mounting plate is mounted to the wall and that you twist and lock the Base to the mounting plate. the magnets are there to prevent the Base from moving to freely.

My renders are made using Autodesk 3ds max with VRay

Edit:

You design does have some similarities, but 1 thing to consider when design is material losses, if the design you have is 1 piece, imagine how much time it would take to mill and the amount of aluminum that gets wasted. Take the 3 maximum dimensions of your design and add at least 1cm for each dimensions, then multiple. That would be the raw chuck off aluminum needed for milling.

I use Autodesk Inventor for the drawings, it has to option to makes holes that are threaded, it doesn't physically model the threads, but the program knows it.

The exploded view shows how to assemble it, so you push the Arm through the Base and then secure it from the back.

The mounting plate is mounted to the wall and that you twist and lock the Base to the mounting plate. the magnets are there to prevent the Base from moving to freely.

Edit:

You design does have some similarities, but 1 thing to consider when design is material losses, if the design you have is 1 piece, imagine how much time it would take to mill and the amount of aluminum that gets wasted. Take the 3 maximum dimensions of your design and add at least 1cm for each dimensions, then multiple. That would be the raw chuck off aluminum needed for milling.

thanks for your feedback, and I agree. This model is probably going to get chopped into the 3 parts, but I still have to figure out how they would attach. Maybe that is something that SilverStone would want to figure out. I can't really think of any methods besides slotting, where the screws wouldn't be visible. I'll make my changes to this model, then maybe break it apart later after I've made my other 5 or so models. 

thanks for your feedback, and I agree. This model is probably going to get chopped into the 3 parts, but I still have to figure out how they would attach. Maybe that is something that SilverStone would want to figure out. I can't really think of any methods besides slotting, where the screws wouldn't be visible. I'll make my changes to this model, then maybe break it apart later after I've made my other 5 or so models. 

I wondered that and emailed them:

"If your product is chosen as the final design, they (silverstone) will communicate with you and adjustments can be made so that it fits their manufacture process. For now design for FDM so that it is represented in the best possible way."

I asked this earlier...  You should be good for now, if the entire thing fits in the 18x18x18cm box I would make it one piece until you win...

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

awesome thanks! can't wait to post my other models, even if I don't win this will be a great portfolio piece since my major is Industrial Design.

awesome thanks! can't wait to post my other models, even if I don't win this will be a great portfolio piece since my major is Industrial Design.

Your name is over 9000!!!!!

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

Mine has a beer bottle opener at the end.

Edit:

Woo! Autodesk :D

Quick question, do you know how you would be able to design something with threads so that it would actually print on a 3D printer? I have no idea how to do such a thing :/

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Woo! Autodesk :D

Quick question, do you know how you would be able to design something with threads so that it would actually print on a 3D printer? I have no idea how to do such a thing :/

For the 3d printed version you use glue

For the 3d printed version you use glue

Is there no way to do that? I know I've come across times where that would have been useful.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Where did you guys get the Headphone models?  I did a mock up of mine but....

head_phone.jpg

Spending more the 15 minutes didnt seem worth it...

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Wow!

you guys have some awesome Designs! 

The rendered glamourshots are awesome, would love to know how to do them. But I'm not a designer 

but most of them look really slim. do they actually support heavy headphones and some rough handling, bumping against and these type of stuff. 

Headhones are typically not that heavy I recon. I wouldn't design something like this to be rhinoceros proof. I'd rather have it break off then wounding me if I'd bump into it by accident xD