SilverStone Headphone Stand Design Contest

This could easily just be solved then by putting that 3m tape on the back of any design, as long as there is a flat back. having the holes there is just giving them another option, especially since a full aluminum design would be quite heavy to be supported by 3M or other wall adhesives. 

something like this?

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/658807O/commandtm-instructions.pdf

not sure how physically big they are, 2 strips hold 6 lbs or 2.7kg. not sure if that is enough.

yeah command strips would work, but at the same time, nobody is going to want to (ideally) hold their nice new headphone holder on a 3m strip which might fall under a few pounds of weight. I don't think 2 headphones would exceed maybe 3 pounds, even bulky ones, but a nail or screw is better.

Another question: is there a standard for screw size in wall mounts like this? I know switch plates are generally 32x0.5 but those aren't directly screwed into plaster.

Headhones are typically not that heavy I recon. I wouldn't design something like this to be rhinoceros proof. I'd rather have it break off then wounding me if I'd bump into it by accident xD

they are not that heavy, you are right. 

But they will produce a momentum if the Headphone hangs at the very end.

I would not like to break my headphone stand ^^ rather have some bruises then breaking my 50$+ Headphone stand

Another question: is there a standard for screw size in wall mounts like this? I know switch plates are generally 32x0.5 but those aren't directly screwed into plaster.

You don't need to worry about that

Is there no way to do that? I know I've come across times where that would have been useful.

You can't 3d print screw threads you have to drill them

Where did you guys get the Headphone models?  I did a mock up of mine but....

head_phone.jpg

Spending more the 15 minutes didnt seem worth it...

I got my headphone model from grabcad.com :)

The mountig base I original made was smaller so I made it wider to give more support. I'm confident the two screws will hold it as long as you use long enough screws and a solid wall to mount it. :)

I actually ran some simulations to test out and 5kg was not a problem at all. But I'm not sure how accurate the testing was, tho.  :P

So I'm a little bit skeptical of how exactly this will play out. I'm gonna assume there are at least 100, probably 200-300 entries by the end, being submitted to MyMiniFactory. I myself am going to have around 30 iterations (probably won't submit all of them, but most), which means a LOT of filament and printing time and shipping they are going to be doing to the designers. I have a feeling that they wouldn't send me all of my iterations 3d printed if I have that many, nor would they spend much time reviewing each design before boiling it down with community help for LTT. I am probably going to email them, but does anyone have any idea if it makes sense to submit 30 files and expect that many 3d printed models at my door at the end of all of this? I understand they have reason and incentive to do it, with publicity, an influx of sell-able files on their website, and collaboration with SilverStone, but still.....

So I'm a little bit skeptical of how exactly this will play out. I'm gonna assume there are at least 100, probably 200-300 entries by the end, being submitted to MyMiniFactory. I myself am going to have around 30 iterations (probably won't submit all of them, but most), which means a LOT of filament and printing time and shipping they are going to be doing to the designers. I have a feeling that they wouldn't send me all of my iterations 3d printed if I have that many, nor would they spend much time reviewing each design before boiling it down with community help for LTT. I am probably going to email them, but does anyone have any idea if it makes sense to submit 30 files and expect that many 3d printed models at my door at the end of all of this? I understand they have reason and incentive to do it, with publicity, an influx of sell-able files on their website, and collaboration with SilverStone, but still.....

i Think they will print every model submitted. But you won't get your Designs delivered to you. They will be printed, checked for functionality and will be Photographed. Then there will be a voting which is the best. 

The 10 best voted Mounts will be sent to Linus and the Crew to review them. After that Silverstone and LMG will choose the best out of the Top 10, which gets manufactured for retail.

Silverstone will tweak the design a bit to make it ready for production etc.

Then. Everyone who was at the Top 10 will receive one stand in black or silver. The Winner of the Contest will get 3 Colors: Silver, Black and a exclusive Gold Version 

Just got my second design finished:

hope you like it  B)

OfDs9Xg.jpg

the Headband can lay in the curve on top. The Headphones will hang away from the wall, and the Cable can be wrapped around the Oval Mounting plate. 

i Think they will print every model submitted. But you won't get your Designs delivered to you. They will be printed, checked for functionality and will be Photographed. Then there will be a voting which is the best. 

The 10 best voted Mounts will be sent to Linus and the Crew to review them. After that Silverstone and LMG will choose the best out of the Top 10, which gets manufactured for retail.

Then. Everyone who was at the Top 10 will receive one stand in black or silver. The Winner of the Contest will get 3 Colors: Silver, Black and a exclusive Gold Version 

hope you like it  B)

OfDs9Xg.jpg

the Headband can lay in the curve on top. The Headphones will hang away from the wall, and the Cable can be wrapped around the Oval Mounting plate. 

Im curious about the cord grove... I had one in my design and removed in to maintain the "sleek" design.  Is this a beneficial feature or just a gimmick? 

Unless your storing a pair of HP long term I dont think people would bother

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Im curious about the cord grove... I had one in my design and removed in to maintain the "sleek" design.  Is this a beneficial feature or just a gimmick? 

Unless your storing a pair of HP long term I dont think people would bother

the grove is not that big to be a problem in the design.

In my opinion it is something what should be on the stand. My headphones hang on a hook besides my normal working desk. Every time i hang up my headphones I need to store the cable somewhere to get out of the way. 

If the stand features cable management I think most people would use it. 

hope you like it  B)

OfDs9Xg.jpg

Based on the MyMiniFactory website, it says: "All entries: A 3D printed version of your design courtesy of MyMiniFactory." Linus also says every design will be printed, so based off that I would hope that instead of throwing them away (the ones that aren't determined to be top 10), would be shipped to the designer. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong? I'm probably just gonna email them.

Your design; Very cool. I think the sides should get a chamfer or filet, just because they seem a little flat (check the EBA01 sides on the extruded head). I personally am not designing for a resting groove, but maybe if you angled it back or forward slightly it would give the design a sense of direction (especially from the side), as well as be easier to grab your headphones from them. Also consider the cord management; A lot of cables would get caught in the back and would make it difficult to take your headphones off of the groove (my personal speculation), so maybe either nix it or find a different way to make it easier to unwind the cord. Either way, it looks pretty sleek!

Image2.jpg

My design is simple and modular. Change out the "branches" for one or 2 headphones.

Anyone now how to make this shape properly? overlapping 4 slots didn't work

You already have the shape, or what is the goal? I would draw a center point rectange and then use the arc tool to make the necessary curves.

Edit:

I'm assuming you are also using Autodesk Inventor going by the look of your screenshot so I made a quick tutorial

full.jpg

here is my entry-

http://imgur.com/a/BH46q

z2JMEnG.jpg

SUcw4dG.jpg

tM6Tzvy.jpg

8h2Fbjg.jpg

YuCbjZw.jpg

pMQAcWQ.jpg

1HD6sZk.jpg

3VFVbdI.jpg

Desktop:

CPU : i5 4440 | Motherboard : Gigabyte B85M-D3H | RAM : Kingstone HyperX blu 4GB x2 | GPU : Asus R9 280X DC II Top [RIP 2017] | PSU : Corsair VS 550W | Display(s) : Dell S2240L | Mouse : Logitech G400s | Operating System : Windows 7 64bit

Laptop:

Acer Predator Helios 300 (CPU: Intel Core i5 7300HQ | GPU: GTX 1050ti | RAM: 16GB RAM | Operating System: Windows 10 64bit)

here is my entry-

http://imgur.com/a/BH46q

It has to be a wallmounted version, they already have a deskstand version.

My (crappy) attempt:

I wonder how they are going to differentiate between similar designs. Some, like yours and mine, have some really similar designs.

Is there no way to do that? I know I've come across times where that would have been useful.

if you use solidworks

create a spiral from the hole diameter with the wanted pitch and length

then draw an equilateral triangle (side size a bit under pitch size) on the plane normal to one end of the spiral and with one side parallel to the threading

then remove or add matter (depending if you made the triangle inside or outside the spiral) from that triangle following the spiral (sweeping function)

but i think you shouldn't bother doing that...

about the contest

as i have am going to a different place during week from week end, i directly thought that this design should be "foldable" or at least quickly possible to put in a small volum mode to put it in a bag

for now i have 3 designs that each have a stronger point (aesthetic, folding, safety(from headbumping)) so i'll try to merge those 3 in one if possible

I wonder how they are going to differentiate between similar designs. Some, like yours and mine, have some really similar designs.

This is my question as well...  While some designs are "better" from an engineering or production standpoint, at this stage its premature to fully optimize the design for that.   So now there are at least three designs in this thread that look like PhilGoodInc.  

I suppose there will be a lot more entries then those who post in here, hopefully there will be some surprising designs!

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Yeah i wonder if engineering and/or manufacturing cost will play a factor in determining the winner.  I made mine that way to mimic the EBA01 style and for minimal holes into walls with the option of using command strips if wanted and for no visible screws when assembled. I imagine mine might be too heavy for a wall mount option.

I have some other designs sketched out but not sure if i can replicate them with the little knowledge of 3D modelling i have. 

You already have the shape, or what is the goal? I would draw a center point rectange and then use the arc tool to make the necessary curves.

Edit:

I'm assuming you are also using Autodesk Inventor going by the look of your screenshot so I made a quick tutorial

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31eJv9FWmXL.jpg

It's supposed to look more like this

31eJv9FWmXL.jpg

I think i'm supposed to use 4 arc slots but inventor won't let me extrude it and when i trim everything to make it a single line there holes

Anyone know the maximum size for the stand, cant find anything on the my mini factory page!

Anyone know the maximum size for the stand, cant find anything on the my mini factory page!

Every piece of your model must fit in an 18cm cube. Make sure to consider how it will be manufactured before you go overboard. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Every piece of your model must fit in an 18cm cube. Make sure to consider how it will be manufactured before you go overboard. 

Thanks! The one I am working on is quite simple, shouldnt be that difficult to manufacture!

well the aesthetic one i made won't stand a headset weight while staying good looking

so here is how it look, if it can give ideas to other peoples

keyshot_399_by_nagby-d8uf9g8.png

+ haven't been able to add filet everywhere i wanted