Largest recall in U.S. history issued over defective airbags.

Just saw this on google news, it might be car related but I though it might be a good idea to put it on the forums,

just in case anyone owns an effected vehicle and doesn't know it.

Nearly 34 million cars and trucks nationwide were declared defective Tuesday because of deadly air bags made by auto-parts giant Takata, in what is expected to be the biggest recall of any consumer product in U.S. history.

The expanded recall doubled the number of vehicles believed to have the air bags, which can blast out sharp metal shrapnel when deployed, a flaw that has been linked to six deaths and more than 100 injuries.

The nationwide recall effort is expected to be a logistical nightmare for the auto industry, costing billions of dollars and potentially overwhelming automakers, parts suppliers and dealerships already struggling to find enough safe replacement parts.

Seems fairly serious, everyone should make sure to check their vehicles when the time comes.

It could be days before vehicle owners hear from automakers about whether their models are covered by the recall, officials said, and analysts expect that it could take years for all the defective cars to get the needed repairs.

In the meantime, millions who drive some of the most popular models from BMW, Ford, Honda, Toyota and other carmakers could remain behind the wheel with a defect that lawmakers have deemed a “public safety threat.”

There appears to be a lot more going on, but I'm not going to quote everything. Honda appears to have taken a pro-active approach to it.

Automakers such as Honda, believed to be the worst affected, have signed deals with other suppliers and manufacturers, including Autoliv and TRW Automotive, for replacement parts. Even so, some automakers were telling drivers that it could be months before their cars are repaired.

“A recall of this scope illustrates the potential for massive automaker expense and consumer inconvenience when a common, mass-produced part is defective,” said Karl Brauer, a senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book.

“Ironically, the use of common parts across markets and manufacturers is meant to save money, yet a recall of this size will cost the industry billions.”

On top of its standard first-class recall mailers and more than 1 million phone calls to owners, Honda has told its dealerships to check vehicles’ identification numbers during every visit and to offer free rental cars during repairs, Bruce Smith, American Honda Motor’s senior vice president, said last month at a NHTSA recall workshop.

Honda workers have been scouring salvage yards, collecting more than 20,000 defective inflators to prevent them from being used in repairs, Smith said. The carmaker has also enlisted an investigative firm in hopes of finding hard-to-reach owners of older vehicles with the recalled part.

This sounds pretty serious, considering that both my parents have relatively new vehicles, I'm going to make sure their vehicles aren't effected.

Thoughts?

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/2015/05/19/0529d9ac-fe52-11e4-805c-c3f407e5a9e9_story.html(sorry, brainfart)

*Updated information*

Federal officials said years of humid weather, along with other factors, could cause the propellant in driver- and passenger-side air-bag inflators to burn hotter than it should, leading to shard-blasting ruptures that Takata blamed on “over-aggressive combustion.”

As @kurahk7 pointed out, you can check your if your vehicle is included in this recall here: https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just honda? or other brands, particularly japanese?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

damit companies stop using takata this is like the 900000th time

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

sauce?

I think that if you get killed by the airbag, you should have probably died in the accident anyway. Someone up there really wants to see you urgently.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just honda? or other brands, particularly japanese?

BMW, Honda, Ford, Toyota, and possibly others. I would check if any of those companies own the manufacturer of your vehicle. I will be checking on my mom's Nissan because Ford owns Nissan (last I checked)

sauce?

Thanks for reminding me. Major brainfart

I hate airbags. We're forced to pay for these things because stubborn drivers kept refusing to wear seatbelts and thus kept dying in car wrecks. 

I hate airbags. We're forced to pay for these things because stubborn drivers kept refusing to wear seatbelts and thus kept dying in car wrecks. 

That's kind of rediculous, airbags are supposed to work with seatbelts, they basically scramble you if you aren't wearing one

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

This is not tech news...

But it's something very serious.

It's very much tech news.

This is not tech news...

But it's something very serious.

It sort of is. Cars and airbags ARE technology. This isn't really all that different than any news about Tesla or Google's latest automotive creation.

That's kind of rediculous, airbags are supposed to work with seatbelts, they basically scramble you if you aren't wearing one

I was wearing a seatbelt during my head-on collision, I received very little bruising from the seatbelt, and didn't even touch the air bag (GODDAMN do they deploy fast), mainly because I had a split second to see the accident coming and braced myself against it. Also, relatively low speeds (me maybe going 45 mph, the other guy going maybe 35 mph).

I still got a chemical burn on my knees from the powder of the airbags (make sure to have EMS hose you off quickly, as mine didn't think anything of it, looked it up later, turned out they're supposed to do that because of chemical burns)

It wasn't severe, as in didn't cause any pain, my knees where just discolored for a bit and the skin felt....odd.

BMW, Honda, Ford, Toyota, and possibly others. I would check if any of those companies own the manufacturer of your vehicle. I will be checking on my mom's Nissan because Ford owns Nissan (last I checked)

Thanks for reminding me. Major brainfart

I have a feeling both my mazdas and my corolla are affected, though the mazdas are at least 10 years old.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It sort of is. Cars and airbags ARE technology. This isn't really all that different than any news about Tesla or Google's latest automotive creation.

I was wearing a seatbelt during my head-on collision, I received very little bruising from the seatbelt, and didn't even touch the air bag (GODDAMN do they deploy fast), mainly because I had a split second to see the accident coming and braced myself against it. Also, relatively low speeds (me maybe going 45 mph, the other guy going maybe 35 mph).

I still got a chemical burn on my knees from the powder of the airbags (make sure to have EMS hose you off quickly, as mine didn't think anything of it, looked it up later, turned out they're supposed to do that because of chemical burns)

It wasn't severe, as in didn't cause any pain, my knees where just discolored for a bit and the skin felt....odd.

I'm assuming it was when your 3000GT got tboned?

I have a feeling both my mazdas and my corolla are affected, though the mazdas are at least 10 years old.

That would be interesting to find out. My 3000gt was a 1995 and I crashed it in... I think 2012? (hard to remember, blocked it out, major emotional loss for me because it was my first car and I absolutely loved it) and I didn't get any of that. and once again,

Goddamn do airbags deploy fast, all of a sudden there was just this giant white thing in my face, I've never really seen anything happen that quickly.

I'm assuming it was when your 3000GT got tboned?

Head on at a slight angle. One of those weird intersections where the opposing lane had to "merge" across my lane to get on the other street.

Kind of like this. I was going along the straight road.

post-78731-0-93451700-1432086428.png

The source also includes a link to check it your car had a recall (requires vin). https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

My Lexus doesn't have any recalls, but the site recommends checking back periodically as it gets updated and manufacturers collect the vin that are affected.

The source also includes a link to check it your car had a recall (requires vin). https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

My Lexus doesn't have any recalls, but the site recommends checking back periodically as it gets updated and manufacturers collect the vin that are affected.

Thanks for posting that, didn't see it. Will add it to the original post with proper accreditation.

and i just got in the mail today a letter saying some people are suing Mercedes for using materials that causes the engine to wear out faster and my mercedes might be affected.  

You'll learn when your head bangs onto the steering wheel.

You'll learn when your head bangs onto the steering wheel.

But if I hit a deer and I hit my skull on my steering wheel, it's someone else's fault! Sue the deer!

and i just got in the mail today a letter saying some people are suing Mercedes for using materials that causes the engine to wear out faster and my mercedes might be affected.  

Might be worth checking out. Might only get a hundred bucks out of it, might get nothing, who knows.

My mom was apart of a class action against Capital One, her and a bunch of other employee's that got laid off with nothing to show for it after 10+ years working there, she ended up getting $5000 for her trouble. Didn't even have to do anything but sign her name.

That's what the shoulder belt is for.

Airbags are also there to protect your face from glass.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

In my opinion the benefits of air bags are no longer greater than the risk they pose to occupants.

Vehicle safety regulations in the vast majority of developed countries actually do NOT require a vehicle to have airbags,but rather set out the hard numbers the vehicle must meet on impact. The US however requires cars to have airbags, and just like with the metric vs imperial system, they prevail.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |