MS rekts carriers, Windows 10 mobile updates won't be held down by carrier approval

AlexGoesHigh

OyNFPlE.jpg

That's right people, windows 10 phones will get the same update experience that you get with apple iOS, where they are available to everyone at the same time as soon as they are ready,

In a windows blog post about windows update for business Microsoft announced that updates to windows 10 will receive continuous updates on all platforms, phones included, this was spotted by a ZDnet writer which contacted Microsoft for clarification, a spokeperson confirmed that all mobile devices are included, doesn't matter if they are business or personal devices, they will receive updates regularly just like a windows PC does, this isn't simply limited to security patches or bug fixes, the contents of the updates can vary greatly including new features or changes

Here at Microsoft, we take our responsibility to keep Windows secure seriously. We ... proactively update supported devices with necessary updates to address issues. And today, we're announcing this continuous update process applies to all Windows 10 devices, including phones. [emphasis added]

Sadly it isn't as simple as that, carriers will have some involvements on the updates, but not to the degree they have now, they have to test updates to make sure there's no problem with their networks and give feedback to Microsoft, but Microsoft has the final word when it come to when they are getting pushed and not when they carriers want them out, the updates should be out at the same time to all the supported device, like i said earlier apple style

Another bad part is that the windows 10 update to windows 8.1 phones will require to be scrutinized by the carriers like it is now, so when windows 10 launches, the update will roll out as soon as a device is carrier approved, but beyond that, updates should come fast and smooth

source: neowin

fucking finally, about time carriers stop getting involved in the process of a software update, its not a full fuck you, they still will have some leeway but nothing like they do now, at most they should inspect it and says is ok, and also not take freaking months for that matter, hopefully this follow through and windows 10 phones gets system updates once a few months, and be available on all supported phones, though i do wonder what's the life time they will give a phone before saying it can't be update, maybe 2 years or 3 like apple does with iphones, 2 should be the minimum IMO

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Thats right carriers, suck it. 

Now, if only Android could muster up the same balls. 

I mean, if MS and Windows Phone (which has minuscule marketshare) can grow balls and get carriers to sod off from the update process and help speed things up; no one else should have any excuse. 

Rogers has usually been on the ball with updates for me, but less carrier intervention the better. I don't want my upgrade path dictated by a carrier simply not wanting to comply. 

I mean, if MS and Windows Phone (which has minuscule marketshare) can grow balls and get carriers to sod off from the update process and help speed things up; no one else should have any excuse. 

Rogers has usually been on the ball with updates for me, but less carrier intervention the better. I don't want my upgrade path dictated by a carrier simply not wanting to comply. 

A lot of the update delays with Android seem to be manufacturer based. All the time they take to customize the update for their skin and make all the tweaks and changes to make it work their their apps.

This is partly why I have an iphone and not an android device. Good to see MS doing something people actually like. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

HECK YES! This is such good news. My next phone in 2016 is going to be a windows phone and this will be so nice. You can still get the windows insider app and sign up for that to get updates faster if you already have a windows phone.

THANK YOU MICROSOFT. The wait for Lumia Cyan (then Lumia Denim) and therefore the official Windows Phone 8.1 update on my Icon was so painful. Ugh. Good to see that's gonna go away.

Maybe I'll actually stick with Windows Phone now... huh.

Yeah gg Microsoft! I'm not tied to any carrier contract anyway so W10, my L925 is ready... I love how previously you can update from WP8 to W8.1 DP without going through your carrier and still be able to retain you phone warranty as you can always roll back to previous os at anytime.

Thank God.

If only Android wasn't help down by the shit that is carrier updates.

Way to go MS, and if you make a good phone I will buy that shit.

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

Sorry but not good enough. Carrier should have no involvement. I can update a rooted phone whenever i want, therefore it must be possible. Do better.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I'm on Bell, and they were horrible with my old HTC HD7. WP7 was always months behind on updates. My Lumia 830 is a lot better, but still.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This is awesome. Android OEMs need to do this!

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Android OEMs could do this no problem, STOP PUTTING TERRIBLE UI'S ONTOP OF STOCK ANDROID. Boom, problem more then halfway solved. This is one of the single biggest reasons I'm hesitant to upgrade from my N4. N6 is just to big, not an option, N5 isn't enough of an upgrade, so that leaves the other big 3, S6, G4, M9. Really leaning toward the G4, but man, no stock android..

GG Microsoft

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Learn a thing or two Google. I hate it when I'm reading how people in Korea are using a new Android version, and then US, after them it's someone else, and then  I get it after almost 2 months. For the same phone.  <_<

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

*wrecks

I hope that people will use the word "rekt" as a joke- it seems it's being used too often.

You used rekt when it was so much more brutal than a wrecking, which this is

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Fantastic news. I don't get how and why carriers in the US somehow got so much power and control. Here in Sweden the only thing my carrier does is give me a SIM and then bill me for my usage. They don't get modified hardware just for them, add extra bloat or do their own testing of updates. All of that should be 100% controlled by the manufacturer.

I really hope other OEMs pushes for the same thing now. If Microsoft can do it, then surely Samsung could too.

Everyone bashes apple for the locked up system but at least they do the software updates right. As op said, carriers have some involvement mostly with the major version updates. But once that is verified then bug fixes and small patches are whenever the manufacturer feels like it. With android that just means basically never

Nice

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

With this and the fact that MS servers are in Ireland to keep the US's fat smelly fingers out of people's data, my next phone will be a Windows phone, Android is dead to me.

It's been freaking half a year since I was promised a lollipop update on my f"#)/(&Y¤)/ Moto G. Never again.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

With this and the fact that MS servers are in Ireland to keep the US's fat smelly fingers out of people's data, my next phone will be a Windows phone, Android is dead to me.

It's been freaking half a year since I was promised a lollipop update on my f"#)/(&Y¤)/ Moto G. Never again.

the 2013 G hasn't got lollipop? wow lenovo took down the best part of moto really fast :/

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

the 2013 G hasn't got lollipop? wow lenovo took down the best part of moto really fast :/

I have the 2014 G. No Lollipop update yet on my shitty ass carrier.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Moto G received Lollipop update. My first gen Moto G is running Android 5.0.2.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

good thing i have it unlocked then, i got lollipop in january on mine, but the carriers damn, also they have a status page, you could search if they are at least doing something with your carrier here https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/country-selector/software-upgrade