MenuetOS 1.0

TAK

Cool, but we had Kolibri OS for years now, which has a lot more development going and more features.

I wonder if you could get this working on Raspberry Pi...

because its written in x86 assembly and not ARM, no. it would require almost an entire rewrite to get it working

an OS fully built on assembly, i have to admit that is brave and amazing, even more that it keep on it for 10 years

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

an OS fully built on assembly, i have to admit that is brave and amazing, even more that it keep on it for 10 years

its amazing. i go crazy writing the monte carlo method in assembly haha

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Holy crap... I would kill myself if I had to write an entire OS in assembly... I know some people in the past had to and I am truly very sorry for them :P (not that it is bad, it is just tedious as fuck...)

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Fits on a floppy lol. 10 years ago that was relevant, now not so much.

Wonder if I could get it running in VMWare or HyperX?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Fits on a floppy lol. 10 years ago that was relevant, now not so much.

Wonder if I could get it running in VMWare or HyperX?

its not relevant spacewise, but its great to see in just how little space you can have a fullfledged OS

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

its not relevant spacewise, but its great to see in just how little space you can have a fullfledged OS

Oh yeah, certainly not questioning the achievement. Just thought it was funny how it was really relevant when they began and when they finish its so irrelevant.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

That's a lot of time and effort spent writing an OS in assembly. Thank god for abstraction.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

What da fuq? I haven't seen a pure assembly code written OS in over a decade. What sort of self-loathing person does this? :lol:

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

What da fuq? I haven't seen a pure assembly code written OS in over a decade. What sort of self-loathing person does this? :lol:

he might have just lost his Windows 7 and REALLY did not wanted to change to Win 8

That's a lot of time and effort spent writing an OS in assembly. Thank god for abstraction.

well this will execute almost an order of magnitude faster though, so there is that.

well this started 10 years ago, so... :P yeah... not something i would do, but definitely impressive. the most ive seen anyone use assembler was on a competition, where time taken for execution was taken into account

Wow. That is impressive.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I dont think assembly coding if viable for windows sized os that said and it cant be ported cross platform at all. But this a cool experiment and looks great for integrated systems.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I dont think assembly coding if viable for windows sized os that said and it cant be ported cross platform at all. But this a cool experiment and looks great for integrated systems.

it is viable, but not for most of us.

If you have a program, that does not run up to speed as the OS is too slow, then this is your go to solution

Then again, "slow" OS does not usually a problem, and if it is, it is usually user error

Written entirely in Assembly? Awesome! From what I can see the precision this gave them has let them make a really fast OS

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

RTOS :/

pretty cool though

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I just downloaded it and...
OH MY GOD IT'S ONLY 874KB

THIS IS AMAZING

This OS is so blazing fast I'm actually able to virtualise it on Macbook Air with a 1.6Ghz i5 Sandy Bridge giving it 512mb of RAM... Absolutely no lag at all

Big companies like MS, apple or google should have done this already. if these man could make OS like this in 10 years, they can make windows like OS given same time. Imagine Windows OS written in almost 100% assembly. that would be sooooooo fucking fast. Oh my god that must be happening somewhere in  parallel universe on alternative earth. 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Big companies like MS, apple or google should have done this already. if these man could make OS like this in 10 years, they can make windows like OS given same time. Imagine Windows OS written in almost 100% assembly. that would be sooooooo fucking fast. Oh my god that must be happening somewhere in  parallel universe on alternative earth. 

They really can't. Abstraction allows you to code for many different pieces of hardware.

For some things, it makes sense to write a subroutine in assembly and call it from C/C++, because it'll be faster. This is usually the case with specialized software/hardware, especially in the signal processing world.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking